WindsorHopeful

Family Circumstances - Documentation

I debated with myself about posting this but I would rather not ask the schools directly, so I am hoping you guys can help.

I am applying to multiple schools this cycle and have a question about supplementary documentation. My mother has been on disability for the past ten years which resulted in  family financial struggles and me working to help cover medical and general living costs throughout my undergraduate degree. She also underwent surgery during my second year, during which time I spent all my time outside of class taking care of her. Both situations are mentioned in my personal statement in relation to unusual family circumstances and I am wondering if supplementary documentation is necessary and if it is, what documentation is best to include. (a T4 indicating disability status? a letter about the surgery?)

Does anyone have experience with this?

I had a family medical issue impact my last year of study. I submitted a letter from the family member's doctor outlining the condition and the type of support that individual required. I don't actually know if it was necessary but I included it in order to air on the side of caution.

I think it would be perfectly acceptable to contact schools and ask them about this generally ("I took care of a sick family member in undergrad. It impacted my studies and i've chosen to write about it. Do you require documentation"). I don't think inquiring about it in a vague and polite manner would prejudice your application in any way.

best of luck.

• Like 3

TL;DR: Documentation likely isn't necessary but you should call schools to inquire anyway

• Like 1

I have this same issue! My second year average is a lot lower than my first and third year, which brings my cgpa down. However, my mom, my aunt and my grandmother had cancer at this time (family genetics) and I spent most of my time in my home town as a young carer for them and had a difficult time managing school but still ended with an okay-ish average. My grandmother passed away the day before my first exam and I got denied a deferral because of the short notice landing me a nice 60% in that class (lowest mark ever). Not sure how to express this in my PS and what documentation to provide... it was significant enough to impact my second year grades and I think schools will definitely see that. I'm thinking I will give admissions a call atleast to Windsor because thats my top choice right now.

Edited by blonderachelzane

8 minutes ago, blonderachelzane said:

I have this same issue! My second year average is a lot lower than my first and third year, which brings my cgpa down. However, my mom, my aunt and my grandmother had cancer at this time (family genetics) and I spent most of my time in my home town as a young carer for them and had a difficult time managing school but still ended with an okay-ish average. My grandmother passed away the day before my first exam and I got denied a deferral because of the short notice landing me a nice 60% in that class (lowest mark ever). Not sure how to express this in my PS and what documentation to provide... it was significant enough to impact my second year grades and I think schools will definitely see that. I'm thinking I will give admissions a call atleast to Windsor because thats my top choice right now.

That sounds like a very very tough situation! I am sure they will take that in to consideration. If it helps, I used question 5 on Windsors PS to explain my family situation. Windsor is my top choice as well; fingers crossed that we'll both get in.

Good luck :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WindsorHopeful said:

That sounds like a very very tough situation! I am sure they will take that in to consideration. If it helps, I used question 5 on Windsors PS to explain my family situation. Windsor is my top choice as well; fingers crossed that we'll both get in.

Good luck  

Thank you so much! I think that would be a good way for me to express that as well :) Got my fingers crossed for us for a Windsor admission!

• Like 1