Goodhart4309

Statement of interest U of C

Hey there! 

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on writing the statement of interest for U of C! I feel like I have a general idea of what I want to talk about, but I'm having a hard time condensing everything into under 500 words. 

Any tips? Things I should for sure be including? 

TIA!!

Draken    136

Was accepted to U of C last cycle. 500 words is not a lot of space I know, but stick to it.

I took a version of my PS for other schools and just stripped it down to bare bones. I also refocused in on why U of C in particular (I'm interested in environmental and energy law so I talked about how Calgary would be a perfectly situated school with expertise in that area and corporate connections).

Pick your passion, say why Calgary is good for it, and don't mince words. Keep it to the point. Edit, edit, edit.

• Like 1

crh20    3
On 9/5/2017 at 2:02 PM, Draken said:

Was accepted to U of C last cycle. 500 words is not a lot of space I know, but stick to it.

I took a version of my PS for other schools and just stripped it down to bare bones. I also refocused in on why U of C in particular (I'm interested in environmental and energy law so I talked about how Calgary would be a perfectly situated school with expertise in that area and corporate connections).

Pick your passion, say why Calgary is good for it, and don't mince words. Keep it to the point. Edit, edit, edit.

I did the same, take a longer version of your PS and reduce it, but also be sure to address the topics that are listed on the website.

NucksFTW    262
On 9/7/2017 at 8:57 AM, crh20 said:

be sure to address the topics that are listed on the website.

This is good advice. Answer the questions that are asked, try to focus on something that differentiates you as a candidate, and demonstrate that you are an effective and persuasive writer.

• Like 1