2018 2L Recruitment

Grey    9
Posted (edited)

OCI Fasken, Davies (Queen's)

Edited by Grey

torontonian    25
2 minutes ago, purplehibiscus said:

Davies- OCI (Osgoode)

Hey do you mind sharing how you found out? According to CDO we only find out interviews on the 14th. 

Just now, torontonian said:

Hey do you mind sharing how you found out? According to CDO we only find out interviews on the 14th. 

Hey! Davies sent an email saying they intend to submit my name to the CDO in order to be scheduled for an interview during the OCI period.

• Like 1

Caracol    190
3 hours ago, torontonian said:

CDOs usually give a date by which they'll tell you of all of your interviews... but that doesn't stop the firms from sending you emails in advance (so you can't focus on anything else for the next few weeks).

Good luck everyone! 

• Like 1

Rearden    242

I imagine some of you are freaking out about getting a PFO from Davies so early on in the recruit. Don't. A PFO from Davies is in no way indicative of your likelihood of securing a summer position.

• Like 4

Rearden    242

And I would recommend (1) avoiding this forum over the next few weeks and (2) doing your best not to discuss which firms you will have OCIs with with your law school colleagues.

• Like 5

Caracol    190
7 hours ago, Rearden said:

I imagine some of you are freaking out about getting a PFO from Davies so early on in the recruit. Don't. A PFO from Davies is in no way indicative of your likelihood of securing a summer position.

^^ this!!

I got one of those too, two years ago, and I still ended up with a full slate of awesome OCIs.

The Davies PFO is not necessarily indicative of how many OCIs you'll get - I assure you. 

maximumbob    5952
8 hours ago, Rearden said:

Well, it's fairly indicative of your likelihood of securing a summer position at Davies. 

Beyond that, I agree. 

• Like 4

providence    2331
10 hours ago, Rearden said:

And I would recommend (1) avoiding this forum over the next few weeks and (2) doing your best not to discuss which firms you will have OCIs with with your law school colleagues.

I HIGHLY recommend this also. You'll drive yourselves crazy.

Ryn    1064
12 hours ago, Rearden said:

This is true. Davies are like the first to send out a PFO. I would also say most firms don't bother with PFOs generally -- you just won't get selected for an OCI. This does suck but at least you get let down all at once rather than in bits and pieces.

Rearden    242
Posted (edited)
On 29/08/2017 at 0:20 PM, Ryn said:

This is true. Davies are like the first to send out a PFO. I would also say most firms don't bother with PFOs generally -- you just won't get selected for an OCI. This does suck but at least you get let down all at once rather than in bits and pieces.

A number of firms will send "intend to OCI" emails but not PFOs, which can be even worse (because if you haven't received an email from a firm and others you know have, you might be left wondering).

Having gone through this process recently, I'd like to see both "intend to OCI" and PFO emails prohibited. In my opinion, they make the first few weeks of law school unnecessarily stressful and breed jealousy. It would be better, I think, to release all OCI invitations at one time.

Incidentally, there is generally no need to reply to "intend to OCI" emails.

Edited by Rearden