lavarius    0

So, up until now I was assuming that all orientation week activities were completely optional. That's the way it worked at my last university and I don't recall receiving any form of communication which made it clear that parts of orientation are mandatory - that is, until today. I got an e-mail referencing orientation week which reads, in part, "Many of these activities will require attendance; others will be optional."

I don't have any issues with the idea of attending orientation; I had initially decided not to go because it would work much better for my parents who will be helping me move to Halifax (I'm currently living in Newfoundland). I actually went ahead and booked the ferry crossing and everything for the 7th since classes apparently don't start until the week after. On top of that my father was just in a very bad accident and although he will be okay he is currently in pretty rough shape. I would like to stick around as long as I can before moving to help him with recovery.

Was anyone else planning on skipping orientation? Better yet, has any current student made the decision not to go? I'm curious as to what happens in terms of penalization if you forego it. I'm going to get in contact with the school for further clarification as well. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

solas    44

I'm trying to remember if anything during o-week was "can't miss" but i can't come up with anything. you do meet the profs on the first day, but that's not super important. you get a couple orientation to law lectures but you're not tested on them or anything--they're interesting but i don't know that you'd be missing a whole lot. it's possible that they're doing things differently this year or that i'm just forgetting something important but you should be okay. o-week is fun and all but it's not necessary to attend, especially if you have other stuff going on.

• Like 1

Himalaya    11

Nothing in O-Week is mandatory. There were a lot of people who didn't attend last year, for various reasons. Don't worry about it OP, life happens. 

• Like 1

lavarius    0

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I'm still waiting on an e-mail from the dean to figure out how it works this year for sure but your replies have at least eased my mind a little during this very stressful week - much appreciated!

jlw2    6

Hi lavarius,

I coordinated the O-week activities in 2014 and just had a look at the 2017 schedule. Usually we refer to the academic events as being mandatory because there is a lot of information from the faculty that is important to know as you get started at Weldon. To get to the crux of your question, there is no penalty for not attending and frankly, it's unlikely that anyone will notice that you didn't attend. You took the right approach letting the school know, just make sure to follow up with one of the coordinators and some classmates when you arrive so you can catch up on what you missed. 

NotmyName94    0

Hi lavarious,

The O-Week schedule is different this year because it incorporates parts of some new course materials that have been added to the 1L course load. Namely, the introduction to Indigenous & Aboriginal Law course. The "traditional" o-week activities (boat cruise, meet the profs, wine tour, etc) are optional but some of the events and lectures will be presenting testable material and experiences that can't be made up afterwards (the Blanket Exercise) that are integral to the course evaluation. I can't speak to whether attendance will be taken, but you will be missing out.