arandomstudent

Transfer from UBC to UofT?

Hi guys,

Currently incoming 1L at UBC, decided to transfer to Toronto or Osgoode next year because my main area of interest is securities law, M&A or anything financial related (Already finished CFA level 2 and would really love to combine two skills). From what I have learned, Toronto is a much more appropriate option for me. Anyone here have any experience with transferring from ubc to u of t? What level of class standing am I looking at here? Top 10%? Any input is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!!

If you do well enough to transfer to U of T you'll have done well enough to be highly competitive for a 2L OCI job in Toronto with your UBC degree so the whole thing is moot anyway. 

Plus you can take the same types of business law classes at UBC as U of T. The whole "U of T is a corporate school" thing is a myth propagated by those who want to slag U of T students off as "corporate focused" because the group does so well in getting Bay Street jobs. They aren't any more corporate focused than students at any other school, they're just good candidates which is why they get hired. There really isn't that much advantage in transferring to U of T if it's just to take business law courses, you can do that anywhere. 

Now if you really want to live in Toronto? Then transferring might be a different story. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DenningsSkiTrip said:

If you do well enough to transfer to U of T you'll have done well enough to be highly competitive for a 2L OCI job in Toronto with your UBC degree so the whole thing is moot anyway. 

Plus you can take the same types of business law classes at UBC as U of T. The whole "U of T is a corporate school" thing is a myth propagated by those who want to slag U of T students off as "corporate focused" because the group does so well in getting Bay Street jobs. They aren't any more corporate focused than students at any other school, they're just good candidates which is why they get hired. There really isn't that much advantage in transferring to U of T if it's just to take business law courses, you can do that anywhere. 

Now if you really want to live in Toronto? Then transferring might be a different story. 

Thanks for the input! I've never been to Toronto so I really can't say if I want to live there, but Vancouver sure is getting a little boring to me. I'm only transferring to Toronto because I want to land a job on Bay Street and it seems UofT graduates have the highest chance of getting them. I understand your point that good enough grades for transfer can also get me OCIs in Toronto, but I'm thinking living in Toronto could potentially give me more opportunities to network with the big firms and maybe will enhance my chances? Bottom line is, transferring will not hurt me in anyway (in terms getting a bay street job). I don't know if it's correct for me to assume that? Thanks again for your input!

I'd put it the other way - in terms of Bay Street jobs, transferring isn't likely to help you. 

First,i don't know that going to UofT per se improves you odds. This has been discussed to death elsewhere, but my theory is the high hiring rate from UofT has more to do with its selective admissions practice and the interests of its students then any particular advantage of the school. The reality is most UBC students aren't interested in working on Bay Street, but those who are do get hired. 

Second, for the purposes of 2L hiring, as a transfer student you aren't going to be seen as a UofT student - your transcript is from UBC as are your grades. Even if one believes that going to UofT has magical powers that makes its students more attractive to employers than they would be at another school, at least at 2L hiring that doesn't do you much good. And as Denning points out, if your grades are good enough to justify a transfer, they aren't going to be an issue for employers. 

Now, I can sometimes understand a transfer from a school which doesn't over much in the way of specialized business courses. I would be surprised, however, if that were true of UBC, given that it serves the Vancouver legal market which has sophisticated business market. 

The only way in which going to UofT is materially likely to help you might be to reassure would-be employers that you're not a flight risk. Given your financial background, though, I would have though it would be easy enough to pursuade them that you are interested in working long-term in Canada's financial capital. 

All of which is to say, it's not obvious that the material extra cost of going to UofT versus staying at UBC is worth it. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, maximumbob said:

I'd put it the other way - in terms of Bay Street jobs, transferring isn't likely to help you. 

First,i don't know that going to UofT per se improves you odds. This has been discussed to death elsewhere, but my theory is the high hiring rate from UofT has more to do with its selective admissions practice and the interests of its students then any particular advantage of the school. The reality is most UBC students aren't interested in working on Bay Street, but those who are do get hired. 

Second, for the purposes of 2L hiring, as a transfer student you aren't going to be seen as a UofT student - your transcript is from UBC as are your grades. Even if one believes that going to UofT has magical powers that makes its students more attractive to employers than they would be at another school, at least at 2L hiring that doesn't do you much good. And as Denning points out, if your grades are good enough to justify a transfer, they aren't going to be an issue for employers. 

Now, I can sometimes understand a transfer from a school which doesn't over much in the way of specialized business courses. I would be surprised, however, if that were true of UBC, given that it serves the Vancouver legal market which has sophisticated business market. 

The only way in which going to UofT is materially likely to help you might be to reassure would-be employers that you're not a flight risk. Given your financial background, though, I would have though it would be easy enough to pursuade them that you are interested in working long-term in Canada's financial capital. 

All of which is to say, it's not obvious that the material extra cost of going to UofT versus staying at UBC is worth it. 

Thanks a lot Bob, that's really helpful!

Posted (edited)

As a U of T student, frankly, the corporate and securities instruction is crap. Anand is the only decent professor and she doesn't always teach biz org, Fadel and Mac are both reviled by students. I'm sort of meh on them personally but everyone else can't stand them. 

Transferring to U of T / Oz might marginally help you by showing a desire to be in Ontario, but that's usually not much of an issue anyways. I would plan on getting strong 1L grades and applying to the big Toronto M&A firms. 

Edited by Ambit