sami1994

Lsat/Law School/Paralegal

6 posts in this topic

Hello guys, 

I am have recently joined this page. I am in a very difficult situation and I hope someone can help guide me. 

I have recently graduated from the University of Toronto with CGPA of 2.8 and the l2 GPA is 3.4. I am planning on applying to law school this coming fall for fall 2018 entry. I am scheduled to write the LSAT in December for the first time. At the same time while preparing my application for law school, I am also enrolled at Seneca College for the Paralegal Accelerated program. My schedule is really packed with 8 courses each semester.  I am not sure If I would be able to handle both at the same time. If I continue with the paralegal's program, it will probably give me some advantage on my law school application, but I will not able to commit enough time to study for the lsat. My second option is that I withdraw from the paralegal's program and apply to law school this year by continuing to work really hard to prepare for my lsat to gain admission to probably a lower tier law school in Canada. My ecs, personal statement and references are very strong, and if I score a good score on the lsat  it will hopefully allow me to gain admission into a lower tier law school. And my third option is to continue both with the paralegal's program and also study for the lsat, and apply for law school. It will be very demanding and hard to manage, but I have to do it. 

I am really confused and don't know which option I should proceed with. Your help and guidance would be really appreciated. Thank you. 

This is just my opinion, but I would continue with both. What if you end up really liking a career as a paralegal? Or this could be a back up if you decide not to go to law school later on. 

So you take a year or two to study for the LSAT, what's the rush? 

Also, what schools do you consider "low tier" in Canada, because from what I know, all the schools are equal in terms of education quality. 

10 hours ago, sami1994 said:

but I have to do it. 

Why? What is so pressing that you absolutely need to be in law school in 2018?

a lower tier law school in Canada.

Not a thing.

I have recently graduated from the University of Toronto with CGPA of 2.8 and the l2 GPA is 3.4. I am planning on applying to law school this coming fall for fall 2018 entry. I am scheduled to write the LSAT in December for the first time. At the same time while preparing my application for law school, I am also enrolled at Seneca College for the Paralegal Accelerated program.

I say commit to one or the other. If you want to be in law school by 2018 then really the paralegal program won't offer you any substantive advantage for an application. To me, the only benefit that it might get you is through a couple years of practice so you can speak to that on a future application. At this point, all it will do is make a big dent in your bank account and stress the you out horribly trying to balance everything.  If I were you I would stick out the paralegal program and work for a bit OR go balls to the wall on the December LSAT and disregard the paralegal program. You are really putting a lot of eggs in to your December showing as well in the latter route, though. There isn't much room for error. And if I had to choose between the two, I would do the school and apply to law school later when I was more sure that the application package I send i really my best foot forward.

14 hours ago, sami1994 said:

Hello guys, 

I am have recently joined this page. I am in a very difficult situation and I hope someone can help guide me. 

I have recently graduated from the University of Toronto with CGPA of 2.8 and the l2 GPA is 3.4. I am planning on applying to law school this coming fall for fall 2018 entry. I am scheduled to write the LSAT in December for the first time. At the same time while preparing my application for law school, I am also enrolled at Seneca College for the Paralegal Accelerated program. My schedule is really packed with 8 courses each semester.  I am not sure If I would be able to handle both at the same time. If I continue with the paralegal's program, it will probably give me some advantage on my law school application, but I will not able to commit enough time to study for the lsat. My second option is that I withdraw from the paralegal's program and apply to law school this year by continuing to work really hard to prepare for my lsat to gain admission to probably a lower tier law school in Canada. My ecs, personal statement and references are very strong, and if I score a good score on the lsat  it will hopefully allow me to gain admission into a lower tier law school. And my third option is to continue both with the paralegal's program and also study for the lsat, and apply for law school. It will be very demanding and hard to manage, but I have to do it. 

I am really confused and don't know which option I should proceed with. Your help and guidance would be really appreciated. Thank you. 

What stops you from starting to study for the LSAT today? Even with that many courses, September tends to be fairly lighter in terms of assignments and general schoolwork, so you could potentially study for a few hours when you can over the next four months, and be ready for the December exam.

You should write a diagnostic LSAT (essentially, a blind LSAT with no review beforehand) to get an idea of where you would be starting from. This will give you some clue as to the general work you'll have to put in. 

Considering you're already enrolled in the Seneca program, it seems as if you're already leaning towards that anyway. I don't see any issue with going through the program, taking the June/September LSAT next year, and doing really well on it. 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, LegalArmada said:

What stops you from starting to study for the LSAT today? Even with that many courses, September tends to be fairly lighter in terms of assignments and general schoolwork, so you could potentially study for a few hours when you can over the next four months, and be ready for the December exam.

You should write a diagnostic LSAT (essentially, a blind LSAT with no review beforehand) to get an idea of where you would be starting from. This will give you some clue as to the general work you'll have to put in. 

Considering you're already enrolled in the Seneca program, it seems as if you're already leaning towards that anyway. I don't see any issue with going through the program, taking the June/September LSAT next year, and doing really well on it. 

Why June/September of next year? The OP is talking about doing the LSAT in December of 2017 in hopes to be admitted for the September 2018 starting class. So this upcmoning cycle. 

3 hours ago, CrimNation said:

Why June/September of next year? The OP is talking about doing the LSAT in December of 2017 in hopes to be admitted for the September 2018 starting class. So this upcmoning cycle. 

OP talked about two different options. One, where they would try to do both the program and December LSAT, but they're unsure if they could do both with the time constraints of the program. The other where they don't pursue the program, and try to apply this cycle. 

So, if they choose to keep going with the program, they could then take the June LSAT, and apply for the next cycle after this one, should they truly be unable to perform to what they need for the December LSAT. That's why I recommended doing a diagnostic, or perhaps starting to study now, so that they could take the December one, and hit this cycle. 

Sorry if that was unclear.