chaboywb

Admission Chances for Sept 2018

9 posts in this topic

cGPA: 3.55

L2: 3.54 (I had very little variation in my grades throughout undergrad other than a minor dip in fourth year due to some particularly difficult courses)

LSAT: 159

Softs: I'll be completing a research based MSc. next August. I have weekly volunteer work and summer jobs (one with the Canadian Border Services Agency). Nothing spectacular here, though.

LOR: Good, I hope.

Above all, I want to get into uOttawa. I've written my PS for them saying that I hope to study IP law (my major is biochemistry) and why I think Ottawa is my ideal environment for study and work. Plus, I know they value cGPA over LSAT score. I'll definitely be applying to Western, Queens and Windsor, as well.

I've plugged the numbers into the prediction tool and it looks good for Ottawa (and nowhere else), but all the threads that I've read include so many mature and access candidates, and I am neither so I don't know how much I can trust it. So I just wanted to gauge some people's opinions on whether I have a shot at my dream school and if there are any other schools in Canada I should consider. Outside of Ontario is fine with me. I'm registered to write the LSAT again in September but I don't feel confident I'll get my score up by much or at all, so I'm gonna assume at this point these stats will stand.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you aren't sure about the LSAT, why not put it off? Ottawa (and most schools) look at the December LSAT. 159 isn't bad anyways.

 

If you did well in grad school, look at Alberta and Dal too, they count grad school grades in your average.

 

It could go either way for me. Not an immediate admit, and no one is throwing your application in the garbage. I like your chances, but I'm an overly optimistic person compared to some people who comment on admission chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what its worth I got into UOttawa among a few others with 3.21 CGPA, 3.84 B2/L2 and 158 LSAT and just wrapping up my MSc right now and wrote about IP in my PS. If you have any other questions shoot me a PM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FunnyLawName said:

If you aren't sure about the LSAT, why not put it off? Ottawa (and most schools) look at the December LSAT. 159 isn't bad anyways.

 

If you did well in grad school, look at Alberta and Dal too, they count grad school grades in your average.

 

It could go either way for me. Not an immediate admit, and no one is throwing your application in the garbage. I like your chances, but I'm an overly optimistic person compared to some people who comment on admission chances.

I certainly could put it off and shoot for a higher score. I just feel so swamped with grad work that it may be difficult. Thanks for the advice on the grad school grades, I'll consider that.

 

7 minutes ago, DAS1988 said:

For what its worth I got into UOttawa among a few others with 3.21 CGPA, 3.84 B2/L2 and 158 LSAT and just wrapping up my MSc right now and wrote about IP in my PS. If you have any other questions shoot me a PM. 

That's awesome, thank you. I know a lot of people say that major isn't important but I hope being able to write a convincing PS with it in mind helps a lot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FunnyLawName Where have you seen that Dal counts graduate grades? I would be interested to get some info on this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDtobe said:

@FunnyLawName Where have you seen that Dal counts graduate grades? I would be interested to get some info on this

Go to the FAQ and they have a flash page pdf: https://www.dal.ca/faculty/law/programs/jd-admissions/admission-requirements.html

 

They count your most recent 20 credits, where I believe one-semester courses count as one credit. So that's the equivalent of 20 one-semester classes, or 10 full year classes. However your school does it. From what I remember when I applied (two years ago), they don't just count back 20 credits. If they end at 20 and you took other courses that particular semester then they count those as well. So if credit number 20 is the first course in your fall semester and you have four more courses, then they're counting 24 credits as your 'best 20'.

I think they just count straight back and use summer courses, if that makes a difference. 

Some people think that they're sorted on cumulative GPA and that leaves people with a good last 20 at a disadvantage if their cgpa isn't up to par. I can't really speak to that though.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, FunnyLawName said:

Go to the FAQ and they have a flash page pdf: https://www.dal.ca/faculty/law/programs/jd-admissions/admission-requirements.html

 

They count your most recent 20 credits, where I believe one-semester courses count as one credit. So that's the equivalent of 20 one-semester classes, or 10 full year classes. However your school does it. From what I remember when I applied (two years ago), they don't just count back 20 credits. If they end at 20 and you took other courses that particular semester then they count those as well. So if credit number 20 is the first course in your fall semester and you have four more courses, then they're counting 24 credits as your 'best 20'.

I think they just count straight back and use summer courses, if that makes a difference. 

Some people think that they're sorted on cumulative GPA and that leaves people with a good last 20 at a disadvantage if their cgpa isn't up to par. I can't really speak to that though.

I'm 90% sure they don't look at graduate grades... I've never heard that before and the flash page talks about undergrad grades.

 

U of A does look at graduate grades.

Edited by Starling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Starling said:

I'm 90% sure they don't look at graduate grades... I've never heard that before and the flash page talks about undergrad grades.

 

U of A does look at graduate grades.

Interesting. I know when I was applying i was under the impression Dal looked at grad school. I'll defer to everyone else on the matter though since I don't know either way. You would think with all the lawyers they'd be able to come up with something more concrete for people to reference. Unless they want ambiguity in their admission policies.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

you can put unb or lakehead as other back-up schools and (you are likely to get into both schools ) and re-write your lsat if you want solid options for Ottawa or other school.   If you can get a few more points of lsat, you will synchronously increase your probability  for other Ontario schools as well.

Edited by akulamasusu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.