sandb

Kamloops to Vancouver

5 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I live in Vancouver and I anticipate frequent trips to Vancouver during the semester. How's driving to Vancouver, if any of you drive to Vancouver often, and how's the road condition to Vancouver during winter time? (Is Coquihalla Hwy always in a bad condition?)

I would like to spend as much time as possible in Vancouver due to personal circumstances but have no clue how the classes and course loads are going to be. Do professors upload their lectures online so students can listen to their lectures without attending classes, or is class attendance mandatory? Is it a realistic plan to travel to Vancouver often- twice a month at least? 

Thank you.

2 hours ago, sandb said:

Hi guys,

I live in Vancouver and I anticipate frequent trips to Vancouver during the semester. How's driving to Vancouver, if any of you drive to Vancouver often, and how's the road condition to Vancouver during winter time? (Is Coquihalla Hwy always in a bad condition?)

I would like to spend as much time as possible in Vancouver due to personal circumstances but have no clue how the classes and course loads are going to be. Do professors upload their lectures online so students can listen to their lectures without attending classes, or is class attendance mandatory? Is it a realistic plan to travel to Vancouver often- twice a month at least? 

Thank you.

While I can't attest to the conditions year round on the Coq as I've only done the trip once myself in October, there are plenty of students who travel between Van and Kamloops on most weekends. Classes for 1Ls are generally scheduled Monday to Friday so except for holidays, or if a prof cancels class, you won't get long weekends.

As far as how much it will effect your schooling, well that depends on you. If you're able to budget your time wisely then going out of town on weekends shouldn't have much, if any, negative effects. I don't believe that any 1L classes have mandatory attendance per se, but there may be participation grades and in some classes you may be assigned "on-call" days where you and one or two other students are expected to heavily participate in class discussions and to even drive the conversation. So obviously you won't want to skip those classes where you're on-call. I am not aware of any profs who record their lectures and post them for students unless there is extenuating circumstances. Some will post lecture slides before class, but with missing information or answers so that you can fill it in during class. Others will only post lectures slides after class to deter students from skipping. And some don't use slides at all. It really depends on the preference of the prof. That being said, if you need to miss a class for whatever reason, you should be able to get notes from a classmate. It's never really been an issue with TRU law students to help out their classmates with this kind of stuff. Most students just play things by ear when it comes to their free time. First year involves a lot of meeting new people and friends, organized activities, and a steep learning curve for most. Depending on your personal study habits and requirements you may or may not have a lot of free time to spend in Van.

Hope this helps!

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, MissJE said:

While I can't attest to the conditions year round on the Coq as I've only done the trip once myself in October, there are plenty of students who travel between Van and Kamloops on most weekends. Classes for 1Ls are generally scheduled Monday to Friday so except for holidays, or if a prof cancels class, you won't get long weekends.

As far as how much it will effect your schooling, well that depends on you. If you're able to budget your time wisely then going out of town on weekends shouldn't have much, if any, negative effects. I don't believe that any 1L classes have mandatory attendance per se, but there may be participation grades and in some classes you may be assigned "on-call" days where you and one or two other students are expected to heavily participate in class discussions and to even drive the conversation. So obviously you won't want to skip those classes where you're on-call. I am not aware of any profs who record their lectures and post them for students unless there is extenuating circumstances. Some will post lecture slides before class, but with missing information or answers so that you can fill it in during class. Others will only post lectures slides after class to deter students from skipping. And some don't use slides at all. It really depends on the preference of the prof. That being said, if you need to miss a class for whatever reason, you should be able to get notes from a classmate. It's never really been an issue with TRU law students to help out their classmates with this kind of stuff. Most students just play things by ear when it comes to their free time. First year involves a lot of meeting new people and friends, organized activities, and a steep learning curve for most. Depending on your personal study habits and requirements you may or may not have a lot of free time to spend in Van.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for this information MissJE! :) Greatly appreciate it.

On 8/5/2017 at 7:11 AM, sandb said:

Hi guys,

Thank you.

Weigh you personal circumstances against your career aspirations. Nothing will help you get a 'law job' more than good grades. For most people, that means spending as much time as possible learning the law. You only ever get one crack at your 1L year. Making sacrifices will always be part of the game.

2 people like this

14 hours ago, ProveIt said:

Weigh you personal circumstances against your career aspirations. Nothing will help you get a 'law job' more than good grades. For most people, that means spending as much time as possible learning the law. You only ever get one crack at your 1L year. Making sacrifices will always be part of the game.

Hi Provelt,

Thank you for your advice! Yes good grades are very important- but we all live different lives with different priorities. Visiting Vancouver as often as possible for my personal reasons is one of the top priorities now and I would gladly take A over A+ (or B over B+, haha) to spend more time in Vancouver during school years :) I will keep your advice in mind and try my best to get as good grades as possible for my future law career ;)

1 person likes this