6 posts in this topic

CGPA- 79% - bad first year but both second and third year in the mid 80's range so hoping my fourth year will bring my CGPA to atleast an 80%

- my program is the only one of its kind with only 30 students I guess that could be considered?

LSAT- 160 single write, taking again in September

I should probably mention softs include, management position at the University, the only accessibility peer success coach working along side learning strategists to coach students with learning disabilities, built a museum exhibit for a keystone project, research assistant at a hospital (while i was here I joined the diversity and accessibility working group), mock trials, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

An 80 doesn't necessarily (and likely doesn't) equate a 3.7. You have to convert each undergrad course from a per cent grade to a cGPA grade and then take the overall average.

I got into uOttawa with a 3.53 cGPA (81.2%), 3.7 L2 (83.1%), and a 160. Ottawa doesn't consider program difficulty. (To my knowledge, the only school that does is U of T.) 

You have good extracurriculars. However, those only matter to a certain extent. cGPA and LSAT are more important. That said, I think if you had an 80 average and a 160 you'd have a decent shot at getting in. Ottawa really values a high average though. It would likely be late in the cycle. 

I don't think increasing your LSAT would matter much for Ottawa. It would definitely help for other Ontario schools though! In particular, with an 80 average, a strong L2 (3.7+), and a 160-165 LSAT, I would think that you'd be fine for Queen's and Western.

Edited by PerisoreusCanadensis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PerisoreusCanadensis said:

An 80 doesn't necessarily (and likely doesn't) equate a 3.7. You have to convert each undergrad course from a per cent grade to a cGPA grade and then take the overall average.

I got into uOttawa with a 3.53 cGPA (81.2%), 3.7 L2 (83.1%), and a 160. Ottawa doesn't consider program difficulty. (To my knowledge, the only school that does is U of T.) 

You have good extracurriculars. However, those only matter to a certain extent. cGPA and LSAT are more important. That said, I think if you had an 80 average and a 160 you'd have a decent shot at getting in. Ottawa really values a high average though. It would likely be late in the cycle. 

I don't think increasing your LSAT would matter much for Ottawa. It would definitely help for other Ontario schools though! In particular, with an 80 average, a strong L2 (3.7+), and a 160-165 LSAT, I would think that you'd be fine for Queen's and Western.

Thanks for your feedback! When I calculated my Cgpa by converting my marks to the Olsas scale I have 3.65! Ottawa is one of my top choices so I am hoping for an acceptance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yeah you're in at Ottawa with a 3.65 / 160. 

You're also in at Queen's and Western if you're L2 is 3.7+ (and it sounds like it is).

No need to re-write the LSAT. If you're gunning for Osgoode or Toronto then I'd re-write. But with your numbers, I'd be confident applying to Queen's, Western, and Ottawa. A higher LSAT might get you a quicker decision but I doubt it would make much (if any) difference for uOttawa.

EDIT: You might not get in early on in the cycle (i.e January/February), but unless you butcher your statement or are unable to procure solid LoR, I can't see how you wouldn't get in by March / early April.

Edited by PerisoreusCanadensis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PerisoreusCanadensis said:

Yeah you're in at Ottawa with a 3.65 / 160. 

You're also in at Queen's and Western if you're L2 is 3.7+ (and it sounds like it is).

No need to re-write. If you're gunning for Osgoode or Toronto then i'd re-write. But with your numbers, I'd be confident applying to Queen's, Western, and Ottawa.

Thanks! I was looking at Osgoode but I am not confident that I have the grades for it as even though it is holistic they seem to admit people with 3.7+ 

About the L2,would that include my fourth year marks or just second and third? I begin my fourth year in September and will be applying then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blonderachelzane said:

About the L2,would that include my fourth year marks or just second and third? I begin my fourth year in September and will be applying then.

Depends on the school. For Queen's / Western, it's your last two years of undergrad (so yeah - your third and fourth years). Ottawa doesn't care about L2. They only look at your overall cGPA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.