6 posts in this topic

CGPA- 79% - bad first year but both second and third year in the mid 80's range so hoping my fourth year will bring my CGPA to atleast an 80%

- my program is the only one of its kind with only 30 students I guess that could be considered?

LSAT- 160 single write, taking again in September

I should probably mention softs include, management position at the University, the only accessibility peer success coach working along side learning strategists to coach students with learning disabilities, built a museum exhibit for a keystone project, research assistant at a hospital (while i was here I joined the diversity and accessibility working group), mock trials, 

Posted (edited)

An 80 doesn't necessarily (and likely doesn't) equate a 3.7. You have to convert each undergrad course from a per cent grade to a cGPA grade and then take the overall average.

I got into uOttawa with a 3.53 cGPA (81.2%), 3.7 L2 (83.1%), and a 160. Ottawa doesn't consider program difficulty. (To my knowledge, the only school that does is U of T.) 

You have good extracurriculars. However, those only matter to a certain extent. cGPA and LSAT are more important. That said, I think if you had an 80 average and a 160 you'd have a decent shot at getting in. Ottawa really values a high average though. It would likely be late in the cycle. 

I don't think increasing your LSAT would matter much for Ottawa. It would definitely help for other Ontario schools though! In particular, with an 80 average, a strong L2 (3.7+), and a 160-165 LSAT, I would think that you'd be fine for Queen's and Western.

Edited by PerisoreusCanadensis

2 hours ago, PerisoreusCanadensis said:

An 80 doesn't necessarily (and likely doesn't) equate a 3.7. You have to convert each undergrad course from a per cent grade to a cGPA grade and then take the overall average.

I got into uOttawa with a 3.53 cGPA (81.2%), 3.7 L2 (83.1%), and a 160. Ottawa doesn't consider program difficulty. (To my knowledge, the only school that does is U of T.) 

You have good extracurriculars. However, those only matter to a certain extent. cGPA and LSAT are more important. That said, I think if you had an 80 average and a 160 you'd have a decent shot at getting in. Ottawa really values a high average though. It would likely be late in the cycle. 

I don't think increasing your LSAT would matter much for Ottawa. It would definitely help for other Ontario schools though! In particular, with an 80 average, a strong L2 (3.7+), and a 160-165 LSAT, I would think that you'd be fine for Queen's and Western.

Thanks for your feedback! When I calculated my Cgpa by converting my marks to the Olsas scale I have 3.65! Ottawa is one of my top choices so I am hoping for an acceptance.

Posted (edited)

Yeah you're in at Ottawa with a 3.65 / 160. 

You're also in at Queen's and Western if you're L2 is 3.7+ (and it sounds like it is).

No need to re-write the LSAT. If you're gunning for Osgoode or Toronto then I'd re-write. But with your numbers, I'd be confident applying to Queen's, Western, and Ottawa. A higher LSAT might get you a quicker decision but I doubt it would make much (if any) difference for uOttawa.

EDIT: You might not get in early on in the cycle (i.e January/February), but unless you butcher your statement or are unable to procure solid LoR, I can't see how you wouldn't get in by March / early April.

Edited by PerisoreusCanadensis

1 minute ago, PerisoreusCanadensis said:

Yeah you're in at Ottawa with a 3.65 / 160. 

You're also in at Queen's and Western if you're L2 is 3.7+ (and it sounds like it is).

No need to re-write. If you're gunning for Osgoode or Toronto then i'd re-write. But with your numbers, I'd be confident applying to Queen's, Western, and Ottawa.

Thanks! I was looking at Osgoode but I am not confident that I have the grades for it as even though it is holistic they seem to admit people with 3.7+ 

About the L2,would that include my fourth year marks or just second and third? I begin my fourth year in September and will be applying then.

1 minute ago, blonderachelzane said:

About the L2,would that include my fourth year marks or just second and third? I begin my fourth year in September and will be applying then.

Depends on the school. For Queen's / Western, it's your last two years of undergrad (so yeah - your third and fourth years). Ottawa doesn't care about L2. They only look at your overall cGPA.