Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LStudent19

2L Courses

4 posts in this topic

I haven't seen any posts about this, or I may have missed them: I'm wondering what people generally take in their second year; both mandatory and not mandatory classes! Any insight into which courses to take in second year, vs third year, and just overall input in course selection would be much appreciated.

2 hours ago, LStudent19 said:

I haven't seen any posts about this, or I may have missed them: I'm wondering what people generally take in their second year; both mandatory and not mandatory classes! Any insight into which courses to take in second year, vs third year, and just overall input in course selection would be much appreciated.

Mandatory 2L courses include Admin, Ethics, Evidence, and Civ Pro. They schedule all 2Ls in these courses automatically. Other mandatory courses include Business Associations, Advanced Legal Research, and at least one international law course, but these can be done at any time in either 2L or 3L. However, if you want to participate in the Community Legal Clinic course then you have to take Community Lawyering first. Also, if you want to do an independent directed research course, you need to have taken Advanced Research. You are also required to write at least one paper with a minimum 7,500 words.

Optional upper year courses change from year to year depending on available sessional professors and the preferences of tenured professors. This is not an updated list, but it give an idea of what classes are usually available. http://www.tru.ca/law/students/courses.html

TRU upper year students also participate in several competitive moots that count as course credit including the Jessop international law moot, the Wilson con law moot, the BC Appeals moot, and the McIntyre criminal trial moot. Students who are interested these moots need to apply and participate in "try-outs."

Also every year they hold a course fair where they have quick presentations from either professors or students who talk about each of the upper year courses so that 1Ls have an idea of what they want to take in 2L.

Anyway, hope this helps and welcome to TRU!

On 7/6/2017 at 0:21 AM, MissJE said:

Mandatory 2L courses include Admin, Ethics, Evidence, and Civ Pro. They schedule all 2Ls in these courses automatically. Other mandatory courses include Business Associations, Advanced Legal Research, and at least one international law course, but these can be done at any time in either 2L or 3L. However, if you want to participate in the Community Legal Clinic course then you have to take Community Lawyering first. Also, if you want to do an independent directed research course, you need to have taken Advanced Research. You are also required to write at least one paper with a minimum 7,500 words.

Optional upper year courses change from year to year depending on available sessional professors and the preferences of tenured professors. This is not an updated list, but it give an idea of what classes are usually available. http://www.tru.ca/law/students/courses.html

TRU upper year students also participate in several competitive moots that count as course credit including the Jessop international law moot, the Wilson con law moot, the BC Appeals moot, and the McIntyre criminal trial moot. Students who are interested these moots need to apply and participate in "try-outs."

Also every year they hold a course fair where they have quick presentations from either professors or students who talk about each of the upper year courses so that 1Ls have an idea of what they want to take in 2L.

Anyway, hope this helps and welcome to TRU!

Thanks for all of that info!

Any recommendations on the optional upper year courses, and which ones to take? What classes do students always want to get into, due to either the class, or the professor etc?

3 hours ago, LStudent19 said:

Thanks for all of that info!

Any recommendations on the optional upper year courses, and which ones to take? What classes do students always want to get into, due to either the class, or the professor etc?

There are usually a few courses that are in higher demand than others. Basic tax, advanced advocacy, wills & estates, etc. They always give 3Ls priority for registration so there will be classes that only a few 2Ls will get into, but then those 2Ls will obviously will get first dibs the following year. It's hard to recommend classes ahead of time especially since everyone has different interests and also the options can change each year (including which semester they're offered). Students may also make choices for 3L courses based on recommendations from employers if they're lucky enough to have secured articles early so you may end up in a course you would have never chosen for yourself. Honestly, there are a lot of factors to consider when choosing courses and there will be plenty of time to think it through. For myself, I literally chose based on my determination to only have classes Monday-Wednesday. To each their own :)