AlecBerg

Toronto Articling Recruit 2018-19

274 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, AeJw said:

Haha okay will do, thanks. Do you think I've messed up beyond repair though? I can't believe I did this

IMO not an ideal situation, but definitely not beyond repair. apologize to the recruiter for the inconvenience and don't bring it up again (fingers crossed they'll forget it happened)

Edited by taxnerd
1 person likes this

40 minutes ago, AeJw said:

Hey guys, I did something really stupid and need some advice.

One of my top choices called and we scheduled an interview on Monday. I had to call them back later to reschedule to Tuesday because of other interviews. I started overthinking this and was worried about signalling a lack of interest, so I called them again and asked for the time on Monday. I explained that I moved another interview for them because I was really interested. 

They said they would call me back to confirm... it's been 5 hours. What to do now? I feel like I messed up majorly 

Yeah, I hereby ban you from picking up the telephone for the next 72 hours. Stop worrying so much! Grab a drink.

1 minute ago, taxnerd said:

IMO not an ideal situation, but definitely not beyond repair. apologize to the recruiter for the inconvenience and don't bring it up again (fingers crossed they'll forget it happened)

THIS.  People know you're stressed, weirded out and generally acting like lunatics.  They might have a quiet laugh amongst themselves over it, but they're not going to hold it against you.  They're not hiring you for your ability to schedule meetings.

5 people like this

Thank you so much, taxnerd, Motions & maximumbob. I've been stressing about this all day but you guys made me feel better about not totally messing things up. I appreciate it :) 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, AeJw said:

Thank you so much, taxnerd, Motions & maximumbob. I've been stressing about this all day but you guys made me feel better about not totally messing things up. I appreciate it  

Most of the people you'll be meeting with will have been in your shoes at some point in their life.  They know what it's like.  

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, AeJw said:

Thank you so much, taxnerd, Motions & maximumbob. I've been stressing about this all day but you guys made me feel better about not totally messing things up. I appreciate it  

2 minutes ago, maximumbob said:

Most of the people you'll be meeting with will have been in your shoes at some point in their life.  They know what it's like.  

Also - the people you'll be meeting with likely are not the people who were on the receiving end of your calls today. At our firm, interview calls are done by the student recruiter/administrator and a team of support staff, not by lawyers who will actually be interviewing. It's likely that the people you meet during your interview won't have any clue about the scheduling process - not sure how other firms operate, but we just get a schedule before interviews telling us who we're interviewing and when.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, tuxedomask26 said:

That does make me feel slightly better, but I also have this nagging fear that they won't be sending out confirmations.

The same thing happened to me last year. I received an email a few days later confirming the interview. I assume most places send a confirmation as I received them from all the places I got calls from. It'll be okay!

Anyone interested in getting together to prep/do some mock interviews? I'm interviewing at full service firms + MAG crown civil 

Does the timing of when interview calls go out play a role in the process? For example, if you get a call from Firm A right at 8, and Firm B at 8:25, does that mean Firm B doesn't have a strong interest in you?

1 hour ago, Deadpool said:

Does the timing of when interview calls go out play a role in the process? For example, if you get a call from Firm A right at 8, and Firm B at 8:25, does that mean Firm B doesn't have a strong interest in you?

It means either (i) they called you earlier and got a busy signal, or (ii) they have a long list of people and not enough people to call everyone at 8:00.  

At this point, they don't know enough about you to have a particularly strong interest. 

1 person likes this

When I was oci'ing my current firm was the last to call and ended up getting schedule late Tuesday. They actually asked me why they were scheduled so late (indirectly) and I explained that they had been one of the last to call but I also expressed my burning desire to work there. In the end it was fine. Take aways: timing of interviews don't have to be determinitive and the order in which they call you like does not matter at all

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, maximumbob said:

It means either (i) they called you earlier and got a busy signal, or (ii) they have a long list of people and not enough people to call everyone at 8:00.  

At this point, they don't know enough about you to have a particularly strong interest. 

This is probably it, although surprisingly the interview time they offered me was still Monday morning/afternoonish. 

Would anyone mind sharing how many interviews they have? Trying to assess where I stand with three. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Springer said:

Would anyone mind sharing how many interviews they have? Trying to assess where I stand with three. Thanks!

I had 8 interview offers and accepted 6. My strategy was to accept those I felt strongest about and focus on a max of 5 or 6. I don't think it's the number that matters so much, it's more whether you received interviews that you feel excited about. Some friends have accepted 2 or 3, or as many as 8. Good luck!!

1 person likes this