AlecBerg

Toronto Articling Recruit 2018-19

274 posts in this topic

Figured I'd start a thread for the Toronto articling recruit taking place in the summer of 2017, as previous years had threads where people shared the firms they were applying to, when they'd received Intent to Call emails, how many interviews they'd scheduled, etc. 

I'm applying to about 35 spots, mainly a mixture of government jobs and full service firms. Who else is participating in the process?

1 person likes this

I am! Out of province candidate. Any idea what structure the recruitment process takes? (1-2 day interviews - diners?)

I think a couple of the larger firms will do multiple interviews and dinners or cocktail parties, but I can't speak to what the smaller firms do. Government jobs are all one interview, according to people who have done it in the past. 

1 person likes this

Yea it's what I thought as well, thanks!

"Each year, we receive letters that begin "Dear Ms. Jackson" (Mary Jackson is the student director at Blake Cassels) or "Dear Mr. Leo" (hopefully we don't have to point out why this is wrong!)" - Any idea what is wrong with Dear Ms. Jackson?

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, zb2017 said:

"Each year, we receive letters that begin "Dear Ms. Jackson" (Mary Jackson is the student director at Blake Cassels) or "Dear Mr. Leo" (hopefully we don't have to point out why this is wrong!)" - Any idea what is wrong with Dear Ms. Jackson?

Nothing, unless you're applying to Cassels Brock (NOT Blake Cassels), whose student director is Deborah Glatter:  http://www.casselsbrock.com/section/students/tips___advice

And Mr. Leo is fine, unless Mr. Leo happens to be Ms. Leo.  

I think you just highlighted why they provide that guidance.  

Edited by maximumbob
3 people like this

26 minutes ago, zb2017 said:

They tell you why Ms. Jackson is wrong - it is the student director at a different firm. 

1 person likes this

While I do rag on Cassels a fair bit (justifiably), their guide to students is actually pretty good advice.  

1 person likes this

Anyone else notice that there is a crap ton of PI/Insurance firm postings but little of everything else?

6 hours ago, Deadpool said:

Anyone else notice that there is a crap ton of PI/Insurance firm postings but little of everything else?

I'm not sure how previous years worked with respect to the articling recruit, but I notice a lot of the Bay Street firms have sat out the recruit in favour of not hiring anyone beyond their existing second year summer students. I don't know if in the past they also hired additional articling students; if they did, it seems like this year they're not doing that. 

We know you're smart so there's no need to use big words in your letter to prove it. You may think that you have to use fancy language because that's the way lawyers talk and write. That's not the case; at least not at Cassels Brock.

No shortage of pretentious semicolon use though.

45 minutes ago, utmguy said:
We know you're smart so there's no need to use big words in your letter to prove it. You may think that you have to use fancy language because that's the way lawyers talk and write. That's not the case; at least not at Cassels Brock.

No shortage of pretentious incorrect semicolon use though.

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 6/30/2017 at 10:40 AM, treemonster said:

They should have used an em dash :P

Edited by bunnnnnnn
1 person likes this

I applied to 45 positions. Most of the positions were litigation-focused. Keep up with my summer trend, I also applied to a few Crown Attorney positions. :D

Did anyone else realize way too late that McLean & Kerr only accepts apps via mail/hand delivery?

From reading threads from previous years, it seems as though ITC emails will go out around Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. 

1 hour ago, AlecBerg said:

From reading threads from previous years, it seems as though ITC emails will go out around Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. 

Probably won't stop me from constantly checking my email anyway. What I wouldn't give to not be so neurotic.

When do firms usually start sending out ITC emails?

I think around the middle of next week. 

1 person likes this