excitedlawstudent

Transfer Student: uVic or uOttawa?

8 posts in this topic

I was hoping some transfer students could shed some light on their experiences after transferring from one law school to another.  

I am from BC, would like to practice law in Vancouver and just finished 1L at uOttawa.  I received an offer of admission from uVic as a transfer student and can't seem to decide if I should go back to uOttawa or start 2L at uVic. 

Any insight will truly be appreciated.

If you want to practice in Vancouver then transferring to UVic provides access to 2L OCIs and other BC postings you would not have access to at uOttawa. Physically being in BC also allows you to build local connections, whether they be through networking events, volunteering, and work - these will be local and employers are more likely to be familiar with them. You'll also get to learn BC law and avoid having to brush up on materials you required for transfers. This also saves you from learning a lot of ON law that will be of less use to you in BC.

The downsides are that you have likely made connections in 1L and you may not be able to replicate them when you go to a new school. If you're a social person, it shouldn't be that difficult.

If your long term goal is to practice in Vancouver, I honestly don't see any reason to stay at uOttawa. If you have family commitments or a relationship in ON, that might alter the calculus. Of course, those are highly personal decisions.

5 people like this

^ Good advice there.

1 person likes this

Thank you very much for your reply! 

I definitely agree with everything you said above.  The one thing that is making me nervous about transferring to UVic is course selection.  All 2L/3L's at UVic have already picked their courses for the upcoming year.  After talking to admin about the course selection process it looks like I will just have to take courses that have seats available in them and get myself on waitlists for the others.  As well, UVic wants me to enrol in a first year con law course that will count towards my second year credits because uOttawa doesn't cover the same material in their first year course.

Should I move to UVic because I will build better connections but risk not getting into the courses I would like to enrol in or should I stay at uOttawa and not be able to build the connections I will at UVic but be able to take courses that I would like to take?

Also, will not being able to enrol in the courses that I want to enrol in jeopardize OCI prospects for firms that require a list of the courses you will be taking in the upcoming years?

Ps. Thank you so much in advance!

From a quick glance, there are still spots in a lot of core business courses (evidence, secured transactions, tax, business associations, real property transactions, securities regulation). If course selection is something firms care about (I have no idea), demonstrating an interest in business law shouldn't be too tough.

There is also a lot of movement on the waitlist. Most people get into the courses they want. Don't let course selection hold you back, being in the province you want to practise in should outweigh the courses you may or may not get to take. 

You should join the UVic Facebook page and ask for more advice regarding courses. The upper years are super helpful and can give you some insight on how the waitlist for courses have moved in other years. 

I know two people who went uOttawa to uVic last year. At least one of them was in the same situation as you re: courses, and managed to get into some pretty decent courses. They're both pretty happy about the transfer. Victoria seems like a pretty awesome city, and the school is good. I think they had to re-take Con Law (both 1867 and 1982), without credit for Con Law I, which seems annoying.

In terms of jobs, I can't say. Apparently, Victoria firms jobs are less common than Ottawa ones. Vancouver OCIs are a roll of the dice like all of them, but moving to the west coast shows commitment... 

Posted (edited)

Heading to uVic would knock $20,000 off your final tuition cost for law school. I can't speak to your financial situation but that and your desire to work in BC make this an easy decision in my opinion.

Edited by Girby