peairwin

Paralegal Qualities

4 posts in this topic

I'm trying to decide if the Paralegal field is right for me.  Could any working Paralegal comment as to what qualities, personality they think fits the job best?  I have been in admin work most my life ( i'm over 30 and find the work tolerable, but I'm bored and don't feel like my work is of much value. .  Is it very tedious, repetitive work?  do you feel involved in cases? Do you feel like what you do is important? or are you just pushing paper around..... note:  I don't intend to start my own business as I live out west and hope to return out west and Paralegal are able to work on their own out here as I understand it.  any comments appreciated. 

1 person likes this

As to the nature of the work, I don't really want to comment much because it's different for everyone. Some of us do more of the role of a law clerk; others handle their own cases from start to finish. In terms of personality, I'd say you need to have a backbone, and don't be like many of your soon-to-be classmates who are in the program because they're litigious and seeking thrills.

Thank you for your comment Donoghuevstevenson. I am definitely not litigious and seeking thrills, I'm hoping to find work that I can feel like I made a difference, or accomplished something.  I don't mean looking to save the world but at least  hope that what I did in my job mattered, even in a small way to someone.  I've been doing admin work for years and sometimes I feel like I'm just pushing paper around...    

I get that; my least favourite part of my job was the admin work. I worked under a lawyer, which I guess is similar to what you would do back out west. I did my best work in research and writing - there's something to be said about finding the answer to a complex legal problem. That said, not all paralegals who work under lawyers do admin work; that depends on the firm, the resources it has available and the type of work the firm does. Real estate would be more towards the admin side than litigation, for example.

I'm serious about your future classmates, though. Brace yourself for a lot of eye-rolling.