Turkeytime

What to do with outdated law textbooks?

12 posts in this topic

I have a few textbooks from first year that are at least one or two editions out of date. I'm moving cities for articling and I don't want to bring them with me. Is there anywhere I can donate them? I highly doubt at this point anyone will want to buy them ... (but I could be wrong)

Hollow them out and store treasures.

Honestly, probably the library won't want them if they're out of date. I keep old books for fuel or I just recycle.

Post an ad on Kijiji offering up all of your books for free assuming that the person picks them up and takes them all at once.  

My wife bought these planters for our porch, but they were too big.  I use my old law textbooks to prop up the plants.  

2 people like this

I line them up on bookshelves in my house so that visitors know how smart I am at the law things. If TV law shows taught me anything, it's that the more old legal books I have in the background when I'm talking, the more gravitas I have. If it works for the hallways of large firms, why not my living room?

1 person likes this

You should post what books you have here. I have my old textbooks and still use them from time to time as a starting point for research. When I was in school, I bought a book that was one edition out of date (I think it was a corporate law text) for $8. Still have that book, and use it from time to time (despite the fact that it's about 12 years old at this point). Most of the basic principles are still accurately covered. You might not get the discussion of cases that have happened in the last decade, but the majority of law is from before then anyways. I even had profs who assigned out of date texts, and then just pointed out where the texts were wrong. Anyways, not convinced these books should just be used as kindling.

1 person likes this

Find a George Costanza, who always wanted to be a lawyer, and sell him the textbooks. Costanza faked being everything from a marine biologist to an architect. If you know someone who lies about their profession to impress people and/or to get girls into bed, approach them about buying your textbooks. Explain how a set of legal textbooks will fool anyone into thinking you're a lawyer. They can get the prestige and the women without the work, cost, or effort.