unfortunateson

One 'C' in my practice area of interest

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I feel very fortunate to have been granted an articling position at a big firm (I did not summer there).  I recently received my second semester 3L grades and the grade I achieved in my area of interest is a smelly 'C.'  Now, the rest of my transcript is evenly split between As, B+ and Bs (slightly more B's).

I'll obviously keep an open mind with respect to other practice areas, but will this one C significantly affect my chances to get hired back in this area? 

Are grades even considered at the hire back safe?  If so, is it only a minor consideration?

thanks!

17 minutes ago, unfortunateson said:

Hi,

I feel very fortunate to have been granted an articling position at a big firm (I did not summer there).  I recently received my second semester 3L grades and the grade I achieved in my area of interest is a smelly 'C.'  Now, the rest of my transcript is evenly split between As, B+ and Bs (slightly more B's).

I'll obviously keep an open mind with respect to other practice areas, but will this one C significantly affect my chances to get hired back in this area? 

Are grades even considered at the hire back safe?  If so, is it only a minor consideration?

thanks!

Not a factor.

They'll have a whole year of first hand experience in seeing you work.  That counts far, far more than a year-old exam mark.

2 people like this

Grades can be considered as part of hireback, but having one below-average mark in your area of interest shouldn't be an issue. Your performance during articling will be of much, much higher significance. I got a B- in the course that relates to my practice and it was never of any concern.

I agree that grades aren't a factor for hireback at the firm you articled at. However, firms will still request your transcripts for the first few years of practice. So, if you got a C in IP, and you're applying for a first or second year associate position at an IP boutique, it might raise some eyebrows. I can't say to what extent it might hurt you though.

4 hours ago, unfortunateson said:

Hi,

thanks!

Nothing you can do about it now, so don't worry.  Probably less of a concern for hireback - they'll be familiar with your work and if they like you, they're not going to not hire you because you got a C. Might be more of a concern if you don't get hired back, and have to sell yourself to some complete stranger. 

I was in a very similar situation (Recieved a C- in my area of interest)

Just to let you know, soon after my interest shifted to another area in which I received As.

GARY: Hey Laura, did you figure out what's going on with the treatment of the jet under that tax treaty?

LAURA: Yeah, I staffed it out to Unfortunateson; look at this memo, it's eleven pages long.

GARY: Any good?

LAURA: Amazing!  He's got this section in here for further reading and even has a little blurb on academic opinions about the likelihood of the treaty's renegotiation.  Look at this stack of reference materials.

GARY: I haven't worked with him yet.

LAURA: Well, give him a shot.  He's kind of a keener.  Good sense of humour, too.

GARY: Somebody we should look at?

LAURA: Yeah, he's been coming out to the lunches and everything, so I think he's got an interest in the group.

GARY: did he get a C in tax tho

LAURA: yes he got a C in tax

GARY: nooooo

LAURA: noooo [brandishes sacrificial knife]

GARY: nooooo [draws curtains]

AMIR: [entering from outside in black hood] nooooooo

OTHER ASSOCIATES: [enter from outside in black hoods, chanting collectively] he had a bad exaaaaaaam

13 people like this

On 5/12/2017 at 0:36 PM, wakawaka said:

I agree that grades aren't a factor for hireback at the firm you articled at. However, firms will still request your transcripts for the first few years of practice. So, if you got a C in IP, and you're applying for a first or second year associate position at an IP boutique, it might raise some eyebrows. I can't say to what extent it might hurt you though.

is this true? my firm (bay st sister) hired me through the toronto recruit and didn't even ask for any of my 2L grades. i'm pretty worried since i ended up with a B- in tax and i wanna do tax. but they haven't asked and are actually going to be giving us our articling offers soon too from what i hear. 

4 minutes ago, JohnsonWest said:

is this true? my firm (bay st sister) hired me through the toronto recruit and didn't even ask for any of my 2L grades. i'm pretty worried since i ended up with a B- in tax and i wanna do tax. but they haven't asked and are actually going to be giving us our articling offers soon too from what i hear. 

If you want to apply for another job at a different firm in the first few years of practice those firms (apparently) still ask for transcripts.

1 hour ago, JohnsonWest said:

Are you asking if a B- in tax will affect your articling offer as a current summer student?