Hey everyone! I applied to UBC under the regular category, but when I called them last week to see what they'd calculated my gpa as, the lady said they haven't actually looked at my file yet. My stats aren't super competitive, but I've seen people get both waitlisted and rejected with my kind of stats, so I was just wondering if there was anyone else who was in the same boat as me? I'm not really expecting an acceptance at this point, but I was surprised to hear that they still hadn't even evaluated my file yet, especially since it seems like so many people have received responses. Index works out to about a 90.5 (like I said, I'm not really holding out for an acceptance, but tbh I'd be happy to be waitlisted)

EDIT: apparently I've had this status since Dec 16 2016 (I also sent in transcripts in early January). 

Edited by LegallyBrownEyedGirl

Mine is the same but I am discretionary so that might be why. However, I did expect them to review us in the regular category as well - I heard that I would likely be waitlisted but absolutely no confirmation of that since they said it the first time... a bit of a mystery.

Edited by islandperson

I'm in the same boat! Been "awaiting evaluation" since Dec. 12th, 2016. Not expecting an acceptance at this point, just feeling kinda ripped off that I paid the application fee to not have my file looked at & probably just straight out rejected. I understand that they might not be able to review every applicant (and that it might not make sense to do so once they've accepted enough ppl to fill their class) ... but I would have hoped that I didn't spend time applying and writing a personal statement for nothing. Oh well, that's life! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, candidlycarter said:

I'm in the same boat! Been "awaiting evaluation" since Dec. 12th, 2016. Not expecting an acceptance at this point, just feeling kinda ripped off that I paid the application fee to not have my file looked at & probably just straight out rejected. I understand that they might not be able to review every applicant (and that it might not make sense to do so once they've accepted enough ppl to fill their class) ... but I would have hoped that I didn't spend time applying and writing a personal statement for nothing. Oh well, that's life! 

Yeah I feel you. To be honest though I wish they would just get back to me - even if it's a rejection. The wait is killing me, I haven't heard back from any other school aside from being waitlisted at Ottawa.

On 5/11/2017 at 7:37 AM, LegallyBrownEyedGirl said:

Hey everyone! I applied to UBC under the regular category, but when I called them last week to see what they'd calculated my gpa as, the lady said they haven't actually looked at my file yet. My stats aren't super competitive, but I've seen people get both waitlisted and rejected with my kind of stats, so I was just wondering if there was anyone else who was in the same boat as me? I'm not really expecting an acceptance at this point, but I was surprised to hear that they still hadn't even evaluated my file yet, especially since it seems like so many people have received responses. Index works out to about a 90.5 (like I said, I'm not really holding out for an acceptance, but tbh I'd be happy to be waitlisted)

EDIT: apparently I've had this status since Dec 16 2016 (I also sent in transcripts in early January). 

Hey! Sorry I know this is an old thread... and it's only February compared to when you started the thread last May, but I was curious as to what your outcome was? My file is still "awaiting evaluation" and I'm starting to get nervous!

Same here, student with an index of approximately 91.55 but nothing hear back. 

Sent in my application October 27th, and I know my scores aren't stellar but I was expecting at least a potential waitlist/rejection at this point given the results of some other students.
Allard status checker has just said "File Complete - Awaiting Evaluation" for quite a while now.

One thing that I have heard though (from a friend who was accepted for Winter 2018) is that UBC is having troubles this year receiving the deposits and having delays, and so maybe they're hesitant to be releasing more offers of admission until they can sort out their numbers better.

That's just speculation, but hopefully that's helpful information to other prospective entrants like me who are worried about their current status.

Glad to know it's not just me, and maybe that does have something to do with it.

If I don't hear back in a few weeks I'm debating whether or not calling them would be annoying or if it would help my file get reviewed quicker.

I just don't think I can cope with waiting until May to get an answer!

On 2/1/2018 at 12:47 PM, Ginseng said:

Sent in my application October 27th, and I know my scores aren't stellar but I was expecting at least a potential waitlist/rejection at this point given the results of some other students.
Allard status checker has just said "File Complete - Awaiting Evaluation" for quite a while now.

One thing that I have heard though (from a friend who was accepted for Winter 2018) is that UBC is having troubles this year receiving the deposits and having delays, and so maybe they're hesitant to be releasing more offers of admission until they can sort out their numbers better.

That's just speculation, but hopefully that's helpful information to other prospective entrants like me who are worried about their current status.

FWI The deposit situation has been sorted out now. Accepted candidates were advised to wait to pay the deposit until the new year as a new rate was set and the online system was slow to change.

On 2/1/2018 at 12:47 PM, Ginseng said:

With a 91.55 you will probably be waiting a couple months to hear anything - probably April. They evaluate in order of index numbers. Not by when your application was received. You will likely be waitlisted and they don't even start the waitlist until later in the year. 

Edited by Starling

On 2018-02-07 at 10:39 PM, Starling said:

With a 91.55 you will probably be waiting a couple months to hear anything - probably April. They evaluate in order of index numbers. Not by when your application was received. You will likely be waitlisted and they don't even start the waitlist until later in the year. 

Not necessarily,

Many people with lower indexes have already been admitted. My index was 90 and I was admitted on Dec. 1 (one week after applying).

17 hours ago, andee19 said:

Not necessarily,

Many people with lower indexes have already been admitted. My index was 90 and I was admitted on Dec. 1 (one week after applying).

Regular category? Unless the stats have substantially lowered, that's generally not a high enough index to even get waitlisted so I am wondering if you calculated your index wrong. Generally 91.1 is the lowest admitted index.

Edited by Starling

2 hours ago, Starling said:

Regular category? Unless the stats have substantially lowered, that's generally not a high enough index to even get waitlisted so I am wondering if you calculated your index wrong. Generally 91.1 is the lowest admitted index.

Yes, regular category.

Like many people, I believe you are overestimating the difficulty of getting into UBC law. Many people who have been admitted have indices around 90. My GPA was 80.5% and LSAT was 165.

9 minutes ago, andee19 said:

Yes, regular category.

Like many people, I believe you are overestimating the difficulty of getting into UBC law. Many people who have been admitted have indices around 90. My GPA was 80.5% and LSAT was 165.

Hey there. I was just wondering: is your 80.5% GPA confirmed by UBC Admissions? 

2 hours ago, Osgood said:

Hey there. I was just wondering: is your 80.5% GPA confirmed by UBC Admissions? 

I'm a UBC student. My GPA is available online. 

Edited by andee19

9 minutes ago, andee19 said:

I'm a UBC student. My GPA is available online. 

Alright, thanks! Gives me some hope, considering my index score is just slightly below yours (and will hopefully increase due to an updated Feb. LSAT score).

15 hours ago, andee19 said:

Yes, regular category.

With drops? That’s interesting, it seems like stats might have lowered a bit this year. 

I am actually not overestimating since I have a good idea of what the range of indices was for the year I was admitted. 

Edited by Starling

6 hours ago, Starling said:

With drops? That’s interesting, it seems like stats might have lowered a bit this year. 

I am actually not overestimating since I have a good idea of what the range of indices was for the year I was admitted. 

I have no idea about indices in your year, but if you consider previous posts within the accepted thread, my index is not much of an outlier (and by no means the lowest).

On 11/02/2018 at 8:18 AM, Starling said:

I am pretty sure that's not the case.I am applying in this cycle and was told that my score calculation (index=91.3ish) puts me in the grey zone for acceptance in the regular category. Furthermore, the latest accepted applicant in the Accepted 2018 thread had 91.8ish index score. No way the above applicant was able to get in with a below-91 index in December (unless there's a glitch in the system).

EDIT:

Saw on UVic forum that Andee indicated having a GPA of 81% without drops. So his/her actual index score is likely to be much higher.

Edited by Jellow

1 hour ago, Jellow said:

I am pretty sure that's not the case.I am applying in this cycle and was told that my score calculation (index=91.3ish) puts me in the grey zone for acceptance in the regular category. Furthermore, the latest accepted applicant in the Accepted 2018 thread had 91.8ish index score. No way the above applicant was able to get in with a below-91 index in December (unless there's a glitch in the system).

EDIT:

Saw on UVic forum that Andee indicated having a GPA of 81% without drops. So his/her actual index score is likely to be much higher.

Yeah, we talked and determined that was the case. Makes way more sense.