Lion

Where Do Most 1Ls Live?

15 posts in this topic

Also, are there many who live on campus? Which residence? Graduate house?

I get the feeling it would be desirable to live on campus as a 1L if you don't know anyone in Edmonton or even Alberta.

Edited by Lion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On campus housing is fine, I guess. Alder House is the law residence, but anything in East Campus Village would also be super convenient. You could also try and find another 1L to hook up with and rent an apartment.  Living off campus can be a lot cheaper than student housing.  

as soon as school starts you will be kept quite busy with readings and social events, so don't worry about knowing people in edmonton. you won't have time to hang with anyone outside of law anyway ;)

Areas to look for an apartment are: around whyte ave (79th-87th avenues, 95th-110th streets), or anywhere close to an LRT stop (downtown maybe).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-05-05 at 9:31 PM, whysodifficult said:

On campus housing is fine, I guess. Alder House is the law residence, but anything in East Campus Village would also be super convenient. You could also try and find another 1L to hook up with and rent an apartment.  Living off campus can be a lot cheaper than student housing.  

as soon as school starts you will be kept quite busy with readings and social events, so don't worry about knowing people in edmonton. you won't have time to hang with anyone outside of law anyway

Areas to look for an apartment are: around whyte ave (79th-87th avenues, 95th-110th streets), or anywhere close to an LRT stop (downtown maybe).

Do any 1Ls live at HUB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-15 at 6:17 PM, Legality said:

Do any 1Ls live at HUB?

The HUB gets a bad rep, but if I had been single when I started law school I would have entertained living there. Sure, it seems noisy, smelly, and overrun by vagrants on the weekend, but it is connected to the the law centre, allowing you to turn into a troglodyte for the winter and skip having you go outside when it's cold, which is the majority of your school year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gaius said:

The HUB gets a bad rep, but if I had been single when I started law school I would have entertained living there. Sure, it seems noisy, smelly, and overrun by vagrants on the weekend, but it is connected to the the law centre, allowing you to turn into a troglodyte for the winter and skip having you go outside when it's cold, which is the majority of your school year.

Thanks. I am worried I may be isolated if I live there and most/ all other law students live in other buildings. Do you know if any law students live there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Legality said:

Thanks. I am worried I may be isolated if I live there and most/ all other law students live in other buildings. Do you know if any law students live there?

Most of the law students that live nearby are in one of the residences across the street from the law centre. A cluster of the exiles from BC seem to be in a high-end rental facility close to the university hospital. I've never met a law student that actually lives in the HUB. If you really hate winter, the HUB's connection to the law centre is nice, but the residences across the street are much nicer set-ups, and you're still only a minute away from your classrooms. So that's where students loving nearby tend to be.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2017 at 3:04 PM, Gaius said:

Most of the law students that live nearby are in one of the residences across the street from the law centre. A cluster of the exiles from BC seem to be in a high-end rental facility close to the university hospital. I've never met a law student that actually lives in the HUB. If you really hate winter, the HUB's connection to the law centre is nice, but the residences across the street are much nicer set-ups, and you're still only a minute away from your classrooms. So that's where students loving nearby tend to be.

I chuckled way too hard at this.
 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2017 at 4:04 PM, Gaius said:

Most of the law students that live nearby are in one of the residences across the street from the law centre. A cluster of the exiles from BC seem to be in a high-end rental facility close to the university hospital. I've never met a law student that actually lives in the HUB. If you really hate winter, the HUB's connection to the law centre is nice, but the residences across the street are much nicer set-ups, and you're still only a minute away from your classrooms. So that's where students loving nearby tend to be.

It seems to be Calgary folk rather than BC exiles for my year (incoming 3L).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, endless77 said:

It seems to be Calgary folk rather than BC exiles for my year (incoming 3L).

Either way, nice building though, but apparently pricey. If my dad had money I would totally live there. The Sobeys is attached and accessible from the inside. The train is across the street practically. It has a pool and a gym. The Law centre is just a 5-10 min walk away, tops.  Might just live there for ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gaius said:

Either way, nice building though, but apparently pricey. If my dad had money I would totally live there. The Sobeys is attached and accessible from the inside. The train is across the street practically. It has a pool and a gym. The Law centre is just a 5-10 min walk away, tops.  Might just live there for ever. 

It's definitely pricey! I live there right now and I'm starting in September and it would be ideal to stay but it's hard to justify the price. I absolutely love my apartment and the location but I don't think it's a wise financial choice to stay there when I'm living off student loans and my PLOC. If you KNOW you'll use the gym every day then maybe it's worth it but you might as well just go to the gym on campus and save yourself a few hundred bucks a month. The Sobey's is really handy but the selection is pretty limited. I find it hit or miss whether they have what I need.

Also, parking costs an extra $130 a month and you don't even get an assigned parking spot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Imposter said:

It's definitely pricey! I live there right now and I'm starting in September and it would be ideal to stay but it's hard to justify the price. I absolutely love my apartment and the location but I don't think it's a wise financial choice to stay there when I'm living off student loans and my PLOC. If you KNOW you'll use the gym every day then maybe it's worth it but you might as well just go to the gym on campus and save yourself a few hundred bucks a month. The Sobey's is really handy but the selection is pretty limited. I find it hit or miss whether they have what I need.

Also, parking costs an extra $130 a month and you don't even get an assigned parking spot...

 

Hey there,

do you think it's easy to find a place at WPP closer to September? Even if I were looking in mid-June or early July? Also, for the rest of the apartments near campus, is it generally easy to find a place 2-3 months before school starts?

I've put in an application for an on campus residence (grad res), but I'm not sure if I'll get a spot. My original choice was WPP, where I didn't mind paying a premium for convenience, but now I really don't want to go buy furniture and have the internet and all that stuff set up when I move in late August. I'm waiting to hear back, but I don't want to get locked out of the local apartment buildings by waiting too long.

Any ideas? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GameTime180 said:

 

Hey there,

do you think it's easy to find a place at WPP closer to September? Even if I were looking in mid-June or early July? Also, for the rest of the apartments near campus, is it generally easy to find a place 2-3 months before school starts?

I've put in an application for an on campus residence (grad res), but I'm not sure if I'll get a spot. My original choice was WPP, where I didn't mind paying a premium for convenience, but now I really don't want to go buy furniture and have the internet and all that stuff set up when I move in late August. I'm waiting to hear back, but I don't want to get locked out of the local apartment buildings by waiting too long.

Any ideas? 

I think you'd be fine. They've had vacancies since I moved in last August and I believe they're offering one month free as a rental incentive. I had the one month free and that's how I justified this year. Now they're looking to up my rent and it's made me re-think renewing my lease (even if they back down about it). If I was single I may have bit the bullet and kept my studio but there's a good chance me and my partner might be moving in together so we're likely to look for a two bedroom condo or house in the same area (there are actually quite a few right by WPP) instead of looking for a one or two bedroom in my building.

One of the nice things about WPP is that all utilities except internet are included. As for internet, Shaw actually let me pick-up my modem and install it myself so you could ask about that. I used to live in Grad Res and wouldn't recommend it, but it's not awful by any means. My take is that if you're going to be here for at least 3 years, chances are you'll end up moving from grad res and needing to buy furniture anyway so you may as well do it right away and have a better selection of places to rent.

I've seen a lot of places available anytime from May till July, but I haven't seen much available for August just yet. Just keep your eyes on Kijiji and you should be okay. It's a renters market right now so I've heard it's fairly easy to negotiate terms/rent/etc.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Imposter said:

I think you'd be fine. They've had vacancies since I moved in last August and I believe they're offering one month free as a rental incentive. I had the one month free and that's how I justified this year. Now they're looking to up my rent and it's made me re-think renewing my lease (even if they back down about it). If I was single I may have bit the bullet and kept my studio but there's a good chance me and my partner might be moving in together so we're likely to look for a two bedroom condo or house in the same area (there are actually quite a few right by WPP) instead of looking for a one or two bedroom in my building.

One of the nice things about WPP is that all utilities except internet are included. As for internet, Shaw actually let me pick-up my modem and install it myself so you could ask about that. I used to live in Grad Res and wouldn't recommend it, but it's not awful by any means. My take is that if you're going to be here for at least 3 years, chances are you'll end up moving from grad res and needing to buy furniture anyway so you may as well do it right away and have a better selection of places to rent.

I've seen a lot of places available anytime from May till July, but I haven't seen much available for August just yet. Just keep your eyes on Kijiji and you should be okay. It's a renters market right now so I've heard it's fairly easy to negotiate terms/rent/etc.

Thanks for the reply. I absolutely agree(d) with the bolded part, which is why I wanted to start off at WPP. My plan was to move in mid-August and have enough time to sort everything out, but unfortunately I won't be flying out until Sept 1st now, which is going to make things a bit more hectic! I was thinking maybe I would suffer through grad residence for a year, while getting used to the city, so that I'm comfortable navigating my way through Edmonton by the time I need to take care of furniture and other things. I also won't have a car, which I'm not used to, so distance to the law school is the number one factor (and I don't mind paying a premium for it - at least until I find some law school friends to room with for 2L :) ). 

One more question: when did you send out an application for grad residence? I take it you were a masters student when you lived there, so you were given preference. I decided against WPP and surrounding apartments too late, submitting my Grad Res application in early May! I hear they take application from October, so this whole thing isn't looking too great. At the same time, I hear a lot of law students live in Grad Res, so maybe there's enough space for all of us who want it? Ahh, I need a beer. 

Edited by GameTime180
typo
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GameTime180 said:

Thanks for the reply. I absolutely agree(d) with the bolded part, which is why I wanted to start off at WPP. My plan was to move in mid-August and have enough time to sort everything out, but unfortunately I won't be flying out until Sept 1st now, which is going to make things a bit more hectic! I was thinking maybe I would suffer through grad residence for a year, while getting used to the city, so that I'm comfortable navigating my way through Edmonton by the time I need to take care of furniture and other things. I also won't have a car, which I'm not used to, so distance to the law school is the number one factor (and I don't mind paying a premium for it - at least until I find some law school friends to room with for 2L  ). 

One more question: when did you send out an application for grad residence? I take it you were a masters student when you lived there, so you were given preference. I decided against WPP and surrounding apartments too late, submitting my Grad Res application in early May! I hear they take application from October, so this whole thing isn't looking too great. At the same time, I hear a lot of law students live in Grad Res, so maybe there's enough space for all of us who want it? Ahh, I need a beer. 

 

Ah, that's too bad you're not getting in until September 1st. But honestly, your reasoning is why I chose to live in Grad Res my first year of my MA so I can't fault you on that. ;) I think I applied around March and heard back in May. At the time they were discouraging law students from living there but I think that has since eased up. When I lived there I only knew of one law student in the building. They've also opened more residences since I lived in Grad Res so I'm thinking there's less of a demand for it now. I was also in a two bedroom where the studios were snatched up pretty early if I recall.

Even if Grad Res doesn't work out for you, you'll definitely be able to find something nearby if you're flexible with your budget. When I first moved to Edmonton the vacancy rate was below 1%! There's way more to choose from now. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imposter said:

 

Ah, that's too bad you're not getting in until September 1st. But honestly, your reasoning is why I chose to live in Grad Res my first year of my MA so I can't fault you on that.  I think I applied around March and heard back in May. At the time they were discouraging law students from living there but I think that has since eased up. When I lived there I only knew of one law student in the building. They've also opened more residences since I lived in Grad Res so I'm thinking there's less of a demand for it now. I was also in a two bedroom where the studios were snatched up pretty early if I recall.

Even if Grad Res doesn't work out for you, you'll definitely be able to find something nearby if you're flexible with your budget. When I first moved to Edmonton the vacancy rate was below 1%! There's way more to choose from now. 

That's great to hear. Thanks for the help. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.