rure

Number of Canadians vs. Americans in Dual JD

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how many first-year Canadian students are there versus American students in Dual JD? I wonder whether there is a quota for each nationality. Also, is there any way to check if American applicants have received offers of admission to the Dual JD program - anyone know of a forum like this for UDM? Is the admission standard lower for Americans, considering their tuition fee is higher than for Canadians in the Dual JD program?

Posted (edited)

In the past, I have been told that the class has been composed of approximately 70% Canadian students and 30% American students, excluding a few international students. It is my understanding that they are trying to increase the proportion of American students.

I am an American student. I was admitted on the same day as april23jules (March 23rd), and I received my formal admission packet last Thursday (April 13th). I sent them my seat deposit last Friday!

Canadian and American applicants are each evaluated by the same admissions committee.

Tuition is the same for both Canadian and American students. It should be noted that the tuition is lower than most American schools, and it is higher than any other Canadian school. As a result, Canadian applicants may be more likely to be intimidated by the tuition. To the extent that the program has trouble attracting American students, it is likely due to UDM's status as a tier 4, unranked school (indicating a ranking below 150). Even though these rankings are assigned by US News & World Report (which is not a credible publication), they are taken very seriously in America.

Best,
BlueberryTimbit

Edited by BlueberryTimbit
3 people like this

26 minutes ago, BlueberryTimbit said:

In the past, I have been told that the class has been composed of approximately 70% Canadian students and 30% American students, excluding a few international students. It is my understanding that they are trying to increase the proportion of American students.

I am an American student. I was admitted on the same day as april23jules (March 23rd), and I received my formal admission packet last Thursday (April 13th). I sent them my seat deposit last Friday!

Canadian and American applicants are each evaluated by the same admissions committee.

Tuition is the same for both Canadian and American students. It should be noted that the tuition is lower than most American schools, and it is higher than any other Canadian school. As a result, Canadian applicants may be more likely to be intimidated by the tuition. To the extent that the program has trouble attracting American students, it is likely due to UDM's status as a tier 4, unranked school (indicating a ranking below 150). Even though these rankings are assigned by US News & World Report (which is not a credible publication), they are taken very seriously in America.

Best,
BlueberryTimbit

Thank you for your valuable inputs! :-)

1 person likes this

Does anyone know how many first-year applicants are there typically for the Dual JD program? Also, when do the "rounds of offers" usually occur? I know the deadline to apply was in mid April; however, most people would have applied well before the deadline and the applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. From reading the threads on the forum,  there appears to be little activity with Dual JD compared to other law programs/schools. 

1 hour ago, BlueberryTimbit said:

Information about Windsor's applicants and acceptances can be found on this page:
http://www.lsac.org/jd/choosing-a-law-school/canadian/windsor

The first round of offers went out on Thursday, March 23rd this year.

The dual JD program receives only a quarter the number of applications relative to the single JD program at Windsor.

Best,
BlueberryTimbit

Thank you again! I hope to get in soon!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Since my previous post, some people have suggested to me that there are almost no American students in the dual JD program. Unfortunately, the school does not seem to publish this information, so it is unclear if any of these claims can be verified.

Best,
BlueberryTimbit

Current 2L Dual JD student here, and I can safely say there are 0 American students in either in the 1L or 2L Dual JD class, and as far as I know 0 3L American students either. There are a handful of dual citizenship students, but they all have lived in Canada for the vast majority of their lives.

I've met a few grads of the Dual JD and there were no American students in the program when they were in it either. Dual citizens, yes, but as BleedBlue has indicated, these are Canadians who happen to have dual citizenship. I'm not sure why an American student would be interested in the dual program.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, erinl2 said:

I've met a few grads of the Dual JD and there were no American students in the program when they were in it either. Dual citizens, yes, but as BleedBlue has indicated, these are Canadians who happen to have dual citizenship. I'm not sure why an American student would be interested in the dual program.

You seem to hold Canada's legal practice in low regard. As an American student who will be attending this Fall, I am very interested in the dual program.

I considered and visited many American law schools, but none were as serious about social justice and community involvement as Windsor and UDM. Upon completing the program, I will also have the benefit of being able to practice law in Canada. I will have less debt than I would if I had chosen to attend any of the other schools that I had been accepted to.

Plus, I love Detroit!

Best,
BlueberryTimbit

You seem to hold Canada's legal practice in low regard

Considering I'm in my fifth year of practice, that couldn't be further from the truth.

It's fine that you're interested in the Dual JD but that doesn't mean that it isn't unusual.

1 person likes this

For the 2017 graduating class, there only handful of US/US-CND citizens in the program, vast majority are Canadian. Detroit has quite a lot of medium to large sized law firms, as well as court houses, clinics, and other such opportunities to get hands on experience, which is much easier if you're an American citizen and don't have to deal with work-visa requirements, but it is possible for Canadians as well. 

1 person likes this

On 5/2/2017 at 10:34 PM, erinl2 said:

See post above^