putitthisway

Western shifting away from high LSAT Focus?

Hi All,

Just a random thought. I have religiously analyzed the Western acceptance threads of the past few years, and it seems this year they are accepting more sub 160 LSATs. In the last 2 days alone, 4 people have been admitted with sub 160 LSATs (158, 158, 157, and 156).

If I recall correctly,  people with sub 160 LSATs - if they were to get in at all - would usually get in late (i.e. June or later) in previous years. This is good news for all with sub 160 LSATs. Does anyone else sense a change? 

Too small a sample size to be conclusive. Data is based on self reporting. At the end of the day, standards for every year changes depending on the strength of the applicants.

While a lot of schools boast taking holistic views of the applications they receive, I know for a fact that Western really does do this. While 160+ is the "target" for a lot of Ontario schools (including Western), there's certainly more to an application than the LSAT score and GPA. I'm not suggesting that Western would accept someone with a score of 153 if they have great work experience, but a sub-160 LSAT score is certainly not insurmountable with other considerations.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

there are too many reasons this is happening, too many to list here. But something as simple as more sub 160s joining this site could be it. It has been estimated that only about 30% of applicants post here, and I'm willing to bet it's the "keeners". Maybe this year more joined and posted, or maybe Western really is getting more "holistic", who knows.

Edited by vabs9694

I agree with all your points - it's certainly too early to judge. I think it would definitely be advantageous for Western to start being a little more indeed holistic and not have a hard-enforced "min 160 LSAT" system. 

I agree with all your points - it's certainly too early to judge. I think it would definitely be advantageous for Western to start being a little more indeed holistic and not have a hard-enforced "min 160 LSAT" system

I don't recall Western, or really any other school, having a hard-enforced minimum LSAT requirement.

I agree with all your points - it's certainly too early to judge. I think it would definitely be advantageous for Western to start being a little more indeed holistic and not have a hard-enforced "min 160 LSAT" system.

Can you explain this more? First of all, as SpectreH said, I've seen a lot of sub 160s (although, not many sub 157s) in previous years. But is there some sort of disadvantage to having people with higher LSATs, if possible? Western has a smaller class than all the other Ontario schools except Lakehead.

I don't recall Western, or really any other school, having a hard-enforced minimum LSAT requirement.

Ok, my language was a little exaggerated. But anyone who has tracked the way Ontario schools recruit would agree that Western plays more emphasis on the LSAT than most other schools. 

Can you explain this more? First of all, as SpectreH said, I've seen a lot of sub 160s (although, not many sub 157s) in previous years. But is there some sort of disadvantage to having people with higher LSATs, if possible? Western has a smaller class than all the other Ontario schools except Lakehead.

I do understand Western has admitted those with LSATs under 160 in several instances in previous years. As I said in my previous post, however, I think they put more emphasis on the LSAT as compared to other schools (this is backed by data - i.e. the chances predictor which used hundreds of data points found from 2011-2016 the average LSAT of those admitted, and posted on this site, was about 164, which is 2nd to U of T.)

It certainly is within their right to operate this way, I'm just of the opinion it would be better if they were a little more flexible and hopefully they are trending that way. I'm not saying admit people with LSATs under 150 or 155 all the time for instance. There has to be some standards and I appreciate the significance of enforcing them. But if a person with a mid to high 150, for instance, has outstanding ECs and GPA, and other than a poor LSAT looks like they have incredible potential - I think it would help strengthen the already fantastic Western Law class further.

Just my two cents. 

Ok, my language was a little exaggerated. But anyone who has tracked the way Ontario schools recruit would agree that Western plays more emphasis on the LSAT than most other schools. 

Lol, this is inaccurate (and also impossible to "agree with")

I think the variation in reported stats will make sense when we all realize that we're extrapolating off of data from people who self-select to share their stats on an internet forum, and even then, we don't know if they're telling the truth or not. There are many variables at play here, most notably how many people from the admitted class are (truthfully) sharing their stats in any given year.

The only people who would actually know this information are on Admissions Committee. And whatever they're doing, in my limited experience the Western Law classes are consistently pretty darn awesome so I'm going to assume that they're doing something right.

• Like 1

I think the variation in reported stats will make sense when we all realize that we're extrapolating off of data from people who self-select to share their stats on an internet forum, and even then, we don't know if they're telling the truth or not. There are many variables at play here, most notably how many people from the admitted class are (truthfully) sharing their stats in any given year.

The only people who would actually know this information are on Admissions Committee. And whatever they're doing, in my limited experience the Western Law classes are consistently pretty darn awesome so I'm going to assume that they're doing something right.

I agree this data isn't completely reliable. I'm sure some people don't tell the truth, for whatever reason, and so forth. I would like to think, however, that even if as low as 80% of the posts are accurate, the "error rate" is quite the same from school to school. 

Most importantly, I want to make something clear - I think the Western Law program is tremendous and I would be honored to go there if I end up accepting. Just chiming in my two cents on what I think is a  potential trend forming. I personally thought I literally had no chance of getting in, considering my LSAT was a 158 and this was based on previous acceptance thread trends.

Completely agree that only the AdCom can provide an answer if there has been a change.

Posted (edited)

I agree this data isn't completely reliable. I'm sure some people don't tell the truth, for whatever reason, and so forth. I would like to think, however, that even if as low as 80% of the posts are accurate, the "error rate" is quite the same from school to school. 

Most importantly, I want to make something clear - I think the Western Law program is tremendous and I would be honored to go there if I end up accepting. Just chiming in my two cents on what I think is a  potential trend forming. I personally thought I literally had no chance of getting in, considering my LSAT was a 158 and this was based on previous acceptance thread trends.

Completely agree that only the AdCom can provide an answer if there has been a change.

Ugh. I really digress, but this is not a trend forming.

Edited by SpecterH

Ugh. I really digress, but this is not a trend forming.

Oh hey am I talking to Danielle from Western AdCom? 

I hope you noticed I purposely did not answer your previous post, mainly because it seems like you came here just to argue with someone. 

Mods, please close this thread. Not interested in responding to this person's posts. Thank you. 

Oh hey am I talking to Danielle from Western AdCom? 

I hope you noticed I purposely did not answer your previous post, mainly because it seems like you came here just to argue with someone. 

Mods, please close this thread. Not interested in responding to this person's posts. Thank you. 

Here's a tip: You might want to be careful how you talk to people on this forum because you have absolutely no idea who you're talking to.

• Like 2

Here's a tip: You might want to be careful how you talk to people on this forum because you have absolutely no idea who you're talking to.

Am I unable to vocalize my opinions? 

Look - if you felt disrespected, please accept my apologies. I just personally felt you were a little too harsh in shooting down my opinions. 

FYI, your posts have really helped me in this forum, but to be quite honest, I didn't want to start this thread to have an argument and that's why I asked for its closure.

Best of luck with your upcoming bar exam. 

FWIW: I think Western's ad com usually has a couple current students involved. I'm not familiar with the process or the level of involvement but there are students who know quite a bit of what's going on.

• Like 3

I think we can keep the thread open for now as it addresses a point of common interest. We usually reserve locks for threads going South and everyone here has been reasonable and respectful for the most part.

As a total aside - and not commenting on anyone participating in this thread - it is always helpful to keep in mind that adcoms are aware of the board. Some law schools have actually been quite active and even interactive with posters on this board, albeit behind the scenes. It can be quite jarring to have real life collide with online life - but it happens.

• Like 4

My speculation - I've been following acceptance threads from various different schools and I don't think the lower lsat trend is exclusive to Western. I'd wager that this year is slightly less competitive across many schools throughout Canada, for whatever reason that may be. Emphasis on slightly though.

My speculation - I've been following acceptance threads from various different schools and I don't think the lower lsat trend is exclusive to Western. I'd wager that this year is slightly less competitive across many schools throughout Canada, for whatever reason that may be. Emphasis on slightly though.

Interesting. I was of the opinion it would be the opposite if anything. For one, it seems there are more applicants. Osgoode has noted 2700 people applied this year, compared to 2500 last year. Assuming all schools follow a relatively similar trend in terms of # of applications they receive, I would think that may point to a more competitive year. 

Someone on the Queen's forum also noted they called AdComs and they noted the pool has gotten more competitive this year. 

But as to whether this also goes for other law schools - who knows!