PyroJD

How well does the UofA place in Calgary?

8 posts in this topic

Ultimately I want to work in Calgary, preferably at a larger or boutique firm. However, I am currently attending the UofA for my undergrad and I really enjoy the campus and wouldn't mind staying here to get my JD. Would I be better off going to UofC law, or am I almost if not as competitive as fellow UofC law students if I go to UofA law for the more coveted "big law" jobs in Calgary?

Thanks

You'd be better going to Calgary; it would be much better enmeshed in the Calgary legal scene, and would mean you were already a part of it when done, rather than having to move over. You'd have already shown some commitment to Calgary specifically by moving there.

Alberta wouldn't be bad in any way for Calgary. It's still the same province, only a couple of hours drive away. But if you've already decided you definitely want to work in Calgary and you have an offer from Calgary, then attending Calgary makes more sense.

2 people like this

Ultimately I want to work in Calgary, preferably at a larger or boutique firm. However, I am currently attending the UofA for my undergrad and I really enjoy the campus and wouldn't mind staying here to get my JD. Would I be better off going to UofC law, or am I almost if not as competitive as fellow UofC law students if I go to UofA law for the more coveted "big law" jobs in Calgary?

Thanks

Very well at big firms if you can get a 1L or 2L summer job in Calgary. Helps if you're from Calgary.

You'd be better going to Calgary; it would be much better enmeshed in the Calgary legal scene, and would mean you were already a part of it when done, rather than having to move over. You'd have already shown some commitment to Calgary specifically by moving there.

Alberta wouldn't be bad in any way for Calgary. It's still the same province, only a couple of hours drive away. But if you've already decided you definitely want to work in Calgary and you have an offer from Calgary, then attending Calgary makes more sense.

This is bad advice.

All the Calgary large firms recruit equally between U of A and U of C. The Calgary firms do a ton of recruiting at U of A and you are at no way disadvantage by attending U of A. I don't want this to get into a pissing match between both schools but one is not better than the other for landing a job in Calgary.

2 people like this

This is bad advice.

All the Calgary large firms recruit equally between U of A and U of C. The Calgary firms do a ton of recruiting at U of A and you are at no way disadvantage by attending U of A. I don't want this to get into a pissing match between both schools but one is not better than the other for landing a job in Calgary.

Do the Calgary firms hire more in 1L or 2L? 

This is bad advice.

You are virtually always going to be better off attending the school in the City where you want to work. Logistics are a thing.

2 people like this

You are virtually always going to be better off attending the school in the City where you want to work. Logistics are a thing.

Have you actually gone through the process or this just based on your own assumptions?

Posted (edited)

Have you actually gone through the process or this just based on your own assumptions?

I think anecdotes won't really do this discussion any justice. There are many reasons why attending a school in the city you want to practice in is ideal, but it mostly comes down to saving money and time. The logistics of networking, interviewing for jobs ect. is easier when you already live/go to school in that city, especially if you are tight on money and/or don't have a reliable vehicle. 

That being said, U of A is obviously a great school to attend if you want to wind up in Calgary.

Edited by HanShotFirst
1 person likes this