RHamill

156 Diagnostic/ June LSAT?

23 posts in this topic

No. I think, broadly speaking, my advice would be different based on groups of approximately 1-2 points to target, 3-5 points to target, 6-10 points to target, 11-20 points to target, and 20+ points to target score (from diagnostic). I would provide different advice for all these groupings, and therefore believe people should alter their study behaviour based on these scores. 

What advice would that be respectively?? It sounds very interesting.

Edited by akulamasusu

You need to time it 35 min per section then like 5-10 seconds start next section. Anytime time I was studying I would either do timed sections or timed full tests. The main part I learned from was going back over every single questions right/wrong and seeing why the other choices are wrong. It teachs you in the books (I'm pretty sure all the brands are similar but I used Powerscore) common traps. Eventually it was to the point I would read halfway through I question and expect what the answer and traps were. I was practice testing at 170~ consistantly but flubbed (relative to my practice) my test and got a 160 my test but that was all I really wanted :P (fantastic gpa saves the day). Most do worse on test day not better. So if you want 163 then I'd recommend be consistently hitting 168+ on timed practices.

Untimed I'd say you should be able to get 175+. The more you understand the faster you will be. Also, learning to diagram logic games is essential. Whenever I had a good diagram I would only miss 1 or 2 questions.

Now I suppose you have 7 weeks. 9 really isn't much time. Most improvements can be made on logic games and logical reasoning sections. Reading comp requires pacing and focus (not having to go back to the info). How much you can improve depends on where you are losing points.

1 person likes this

I haven't read above, but read the OP about LSAT studying. Hopefully me detailing my steps will help OP or someone else (this year or next)

I wrote the LSAT sept 24, 2016 and dec 6, 2016. I began studying June 2016. 

1) I began with a diagnosti cin the 150s (I forget).

2) For June/July I spent my time reading and working through as many published (bibles, lsat trainer, etc.) as I could afford through kijiji. I also watched youtube/online videos for explanations. This period was about learning what LSAT questions exist and what strategies to apply to each. I timed myself periodically, but timing was not important here.

3) For Aug, I focused more on test-like conditions. I did more full sections and PTs. I went to UofA campus and wrote a 5-section LSAT each Saturday @ 9AM. This period was about breaking the more formalized steps down into something that worked for me. Making my own short-hand symbols, etc.

4) for Sept, I began doing LSAT sections every workday. I did a section before work (7:30AM) and one at lunch. I spent evenings on LSATs too. (I was a treat for my friends and partners, trust me). I continued to do a "real" LSAT each Saturday (this time in the room LSAC announced). This period was about figuring out where my strengths were and what I could realistically achieve (should I skip parallel LR questions? should I do that hard LG first? those kind of things).

I scored a 164 in Sept, (I think I will always remember my panic when I got that computer virus LG on the last section.) But more than my score, I felt "in the zone". I knew my limits and where to go to write and how to skip questions and eating/sleeping right. For the amount of work I put in, 164 feels disappointing, but I know I tried my best and did the best I could, and that's really all i could have asked for.

1) I didn't study the LSAT in Oct. (I took a trip to Europe with my partner and caught up on the rest of my life.)

2) I resumed my Sept practice schedule Nov and maintained that until the Dec 6 LSAT.

I scored a 163 in Dec. It was disappointing to do worse than sept, but I'll attribute the lower score to personal/emotional stress. It could have just been a bad day or something.

Hope this helps.