Hathi

Waitlisted at Osgoode 2017

97 posts in this topic

I did not receive a wait pool email, was only updates on OASIS.

scholarship is hefty and tempting, but I very badly want to attend Osgoode. 

I have a 158 LSAT, 3.95 CgPA, and a strong application overall. Honestly, I am surprised that I haven't been admitted at this point, but I'm trying to remain hopeful. 

What do you think?

I'm still confused, what is the difference between waitlist and in queue for review? People have been said that they've been accepted straight from in queue, so is this better or the waitlist? 

28 minutes ago, lawgirl101 said:

I'm still confused, what is the difference between waitlist and in queue for review? People have been said that they've been accepted straight from in queue, so is this better or the waitlist? 

In queue: your file has not been reviewed yet. 

Waitlisted: your file has been reviewed, and you have a competitive application, but we'd like to look at other applicants first, and see who turns us down. 

Disclaimer: the following is pure conjecture. 

I imagine Osgoode sorts applicants for review through some algorithm that ranks applicants by GPA/LSAT/Part B claim. They worth their way through the sorted files, assigning a score to each applicant through the holistic review process. A certain level of score is good for automatic admission. Another level is good for waitlisting, and waitlisted candidates are accepted based on an algorithm that says "once X number of applicants are remaining (or X number of offers have been declined) this person is statistically one of the best applicants, admit". Applicants in queue may still be admitted immediately, if their holistic score is high enough to warrant admission. 

Thats just how I imagine their system works, based on my knowledge of other schools admission processes. I may be entirely incorrect. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
4 people like this

22 minutes ago, lawgirl101 said:

In queue basically means that your application is now in the pile 'to be read'. They might've already read it and are holding off making a definitive statement, they might not have gotten to it yet. In queue seems to mean nothing, but is somehow infinitely better than NOT being in queue ;)

waitlist would traditionally mean that although they won't outright accept you until they send all their other offers, they would offer you admission is there is space. Osgoode is a little odd in that they seem to be accepting off waitlist and in queue. I'm assuming that as they read more applications for the first time, they're shuffling people around. Their hollistic review process makes it harder to gauge their process than others. 

2 people like this

On 4/28/2017 at 8:51 PM, BlockedQuebecois said:

In queue: your file has not been reviewed yet. 

Waitlisted: your file has been reviewed, and you have a competitive application, but we'd like to look at other applicants first, and see who turns us down. 

Disclaimer: the following is pure conjecture. 

I imagine Osgoode sorts applicants for review through some algorithm that ranks applicants by GPA/LSAT/Part B claim. They worth their way through the sorted files, assigning a score to each applicant through the holistic review process. A certain level of score is good for automatic admission. Another level is good for waitlisting, and waitlisted candidates are accepted based on an algorithm that says "once X number of applicants are remaining (or X number of offers have been declined) this person is statistically one of the best applicants, admit". Applicants in queue may still be admitted immediately, if their holistic score is high enough to warrant admission. 

Thats just how I imagine their system works, based on my knowledge of other schools admission processes. I may be entirely incorrect. 

Okay this makes a lot of sense, thanks for your reply!

On 4/28/2017 at 8:55 PM, 3rdGenLawStudent said:

In queue basically means that your application is now in the pile 'to be read'. They might've already read it and are holding off making a definitive statement, they might not have gotten to it yet. In queue seems to mean nothing, but is somehow infinitely better than NOT being in queue

waitlist would traditionally mean that although they won't outright accept you until they send all their other offers, they would offer you admission is there is space. Osgoode is a little odd in that they seem to be accepting off waitlist and in queue. I'm assuming that as they read more applications for the first time, they're shuffling people around. Their hollistic review process makes it harder to gauge their process than others. 

Ah okay got it, thank you!

1 person likes this

Apparently I was waitlisted on March 20th. I expected an email update like other schools but I guess they just expect you to check their website from time to time.

"Your file has been added to the wait pool from where new offers of admission will be drawn."

LSAT: 158

CGPA: 77%, last 2 years 83%ish

Also did a postgrad to get my paralegal licence. Have been working in that capacity for 4 years now. 

GPA for the paralegal program 95% (college so not sure if they even look at that, may have made a difference though)

LOR are imo great and Personal Statement hopefully was what they were looking for. 

Fingers crossed. 

Added to the 'waiting pool' on 20th April too. Super disappointed that I didn't receive an email for the update.

CGPA - 3.69

LSAT - 158

Work experience in a multinat with GRC exp, focusing on AML,CTF, Anti-bribery, fraud and corruption & Sanctions.

Fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!

Waitlisted 9th May.

CGPA: 3.38

LSAT: 167

Added to Queue: 17th January

Filled out Part B 

EDIT: does Osgoode ever release a numbered waitlist?

Edited by AMR2017
Had a Q that I didn't want to put on separate post?

49 minutes ago, AMR2017 said:

Waitlisted 9th May.

CGPA: 3.38

LSAT: 167

Added to Queue: 17th January

Filled out Part B 

EDIT: does Osgoode ever release a numbered waitlist?

It's an unnumbered wait list. Apparently they don't rank people. 

20 minutes ago, JDhopeful2020 said:

It's an unnumbered wait list. Apparently they don't rank people. 

This isn't good enough. I need to know! 

1 person likes this

For those who got waitlisted, does the letter tell you when they are accepting off the waitlist until?

34 minutes ago, lawlawl said:

For those who got waitlisted, does the letter tell you when they are accepting off the waitlist until?

I am on the waitlist, and this is what my OASIS account says:

Your file has been added to the wait pool from where new offers of admission will be drawn. Offers will depend on the availability of space in the class and a further review of your file in comparison to others in the pool. While decisions are made as expeditiously as possible, notification of an offer may occur at any time up to the start of classes.

So I suppose that means you could be on the waitlist up until September? 

Waitlsted on May 26th

cGPA: 3.5, L2: 3.85ish, 158/158

I've been checking OASIS every day, even on the weekends even though I know admissions office is probably closed on the weekends. I checked on Friday afternoon, Friday evening, Friday night, Saturday morning, evening and night. What I found weird though is that I checked earlier today, at around 5 AM (Sunday morning) and that's when it was updated to reflect the May 26th change. Found that really odd.

Edited by Torontoguy93