Draken

Rejected from McGill 2017

60 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, lawschoolplease said:

Rejected - not surprised. LSAT: 153, CGPA: 3.56, L2: 3.76, B2: 3.88, Strong EC's and good refs 

Sorry to hear! Do you mind sharing when you receive the email/notice the minerva change?

Wishing you the best of luck if you applied to other universities!

Edited by lawstudent6

Just now, lawstudent6 said:

Sorry to hear! Do you mind sharing when you receive the letter/notice the minerva change?

Wishing you the best of luck if you applied to other universities!

I got the email at 8:01 pm that the admissions committee had come to a decision on my file and the decision was available via minerva! Thank you, same to you! I have provisionally accepted Windsor so I am not too torn up. 

Rejected 

really not surprised as i was beyond a long shot 

GPA : 3.56 L2:3.71

lsat:150 

best of luck to all those who applied 

Ill be attending  the university of ottawa in civil law so I'm not overly upset 

4 minutes ago, lawgic1 said:

Rejected 

really not surprised as i was beyond a long shot 

GPA : 3.56 L2:3.71

Your GPA is well within the realm of what has been accepted. I suppose your LSAT hurt you, and of course we don't know what your letter looked like. Just to say you may not have been a "long shot," don't be so hard on yourself.

Good luck at Ottawa!

1 hour ago, missfrizzle said:

Your GPA is well within the realm of what has been accepted. I suppose your LSAT hurt you, and of course we don't know what your letter looked like. Just to say you may not have been a "long shot," don't be so hard on yourself.

Good luck at Ottawa!

Thanks!

and i appreciate the pep talk haha 

i get that my grades where alright, but i also know that Mcgill only takes the best of the best and that my LSAT was a glaring flaw . 

i just thought id take a stab and it anyways... better to have to tried and failed bla bla bla lol 

Received my refusal letter Friday evening.

Very strong references, EC, and letter - however applying with an undergraduate CGPA of 3.22

My letter said: "The committee found many strengths in your application and would be pleased to receive a new application from you for the upcoming admissions cycle"

I'm assuming my GPA and lack of French were the problem but I'll be starting at Udem in the fall in the certificate program and will hopefully be switching to McGill afterwards. Any advice on how to improve my application when reapplying?

Rejected on April 24

Average: 80%

No LSAT

Fluently bilingual in both French and English (Completed both elementary and secondary school in French, University in English)

B.A. Honours Law with Minor in French

Involved in a number of ECs: International Student Services Office (Volunteer, Orientation Ambassador, Director of Community and Culture, i.e. planned events for int't and exchange students), Note-taker, Accessibility Editor, Moot Team Member, Law Society Executive, etc. 

Reference Letters: One English and One French

Personal Statement: in English; spoke of my transition from Francophone community to English university and my interest in Health Law and Policy

5 hours ago, LEGGOLAW said:

Received my refusal letter Friday evening.

Very strong references, EC, and letter - however applying with an undergraduate CGPA of 3.22

My letter said: "The committee found many strengths in your application and would be pleased to receive a new application from you for the upcoming admissions cycle"

I'm assuming my GPA and lack of French were the problem but I'll be starting at Udem in the fall in the certificate program and will hopefully be switching to McGill afterwards. Any advice on how to improve my application when reapplying?

Grades. Kick ass in the certificate and that will be a strong positive. Explain the why McGill factor, which people sometimes forget about in their applications.

2 people like this

Refused on Minerva; no email or refusal letter. (Was it attached in the email?) I would be interested to see what it said, even though it is obviously my grades that did me in :( 

2.92 L2 3.9 162 

Edited by loveroflaw

Refused - cGpA 3.7, trilingual, no LSAT,  strong references (1 from department head), work experience in tech sales. Next cycle it is ... 

"Overtaken by stronger candidates in applicant pool"

Edited by TipOfSouthAmerica

Got refused as well ! Applying straight from Cegep. I received a very nice letter asking me to do a University degree of my choice and reapply after that ! Do they say this to everyone ? In any case I'll be attending one of the french law schools in September.  I haven't decided on which one yet so any advice / suggestions are welcome !! 

Good luck to those still waiting .

Saw my rejection on Minerva last Wednesday evening. A bit disappointed with the generic rejection letter tbh, you'd think they'd do better for the 100$ application fee eh?

My GPA was well below the media for acceptance and I did not do the LSAT, so I really shouldn't be surprised, but... my ECs and PS were so great. Don't they know who I am?! /s

I'll be reapplying next cycle, and with the LSAT completed (I've scored as high as 165 in a practice test in a crowded cafe)

Good luck to everyone else! Don't be discouraged either, I've seen posted here with GPAs below 3 (one bad year) get accepted when everything else in their application is on point (especially that LSAT after such a low GPA!)

1 person likes this

Yup, yesterday

3.71 GPA

LSAT 156

Prob lsat did me in. And probably because I didn't volunteer to teach kids English in China while performing Circque to Soleil on the weekends while at the same time being president of a non-profit whose mission is to save rhinos going extinct in Africa. Seems like that's what they look for.

(being a hater right now)

2 people like this

31 minutes ago, StrugglingtoGetIn said:

Yup, yesterday

3.71 GPA

LSAT 156

Prob lsat did me in. And probably because I didn't volunteer to teach kids English in China while performing Circque to Soleil on the weekends while at the same time being president of a non-profit whose mission is to save rhinos going extinct in Africa. Seems like that's what they look for.

(being a hater right now)

I know it must suck, but for future readers - this is absolutely not true. McGill is holistic, yes, but that doesn't mean just padding your resume with fluff. It means doing something outside of school, having a background in french somehow, and showing that you're a devoted individual who can manage a high work load and academic excellence. 

I won't pretend to know your ECs, but yes - it's likely your lsat did you in. But it's absolutely not about what you listed above.

3 people like this

Just saying, McGill ECs are varied. My old cohort had the usual activists, but also crazy researchers, business owners, people with varied work backgrounds, etc. There is no "one" kind of aspect that McGill looks for in their ECs. Mine was all arts-based!

3 people like this

Refused on Tuesday 23 May at 20:00 with generic rejection letter. I had completed my application at the beginning of October. It took 9 months to get an answer.

LSAT 157, Bachelor’s from McGill, Master’s from London School of Economics, work on Parliament Hill and with the United Nations.

Good luck to those still waiting for an answer!

For those who were refused, anyone else find the long wait and standard refusal letter disappointing, especially after a $100 application fee? Perhaps we could a write a joint letter to the Dean?

42 minutes ago, TocquevilleVoltaire said:

Refused on Tuesday 23 May at 20:00 with generic rejection letter. I had completed my application at the beginning of October. It took 9 months to get an answer.

LSAT 157, Bachelor’s from McGill, Master’s from London School of Economics, work on Parliament Hill and with the United Nations.

Good luck to those still waiting for an answer!

For those who were refused, anyone else find the long wait and standard refusal letter disappointing, especially after a $100 application fee? Perhaps we could a write a joint letter to the Dean?

I would hold off on that Letter to the Dean. My experience with McGill compared to other rejections is that they offer a whole lot more feedback where they can than anyone else. It takes time for them to look at applicants, especially ones they aren't sure about considering they have to hold spots for CEGEP and then re-assess borderline candidates from both the regular and CEGEP pools for admission.

They even have a video telling re-applicants what their decision letter means and how to go about improving to reapply. I posted it elsewhere in this thread (page 1?). If you don't like your letter, I'd watch that and then call their office. The nice lady I talked to couldn't give me in-depth details, but did her best to let me know the gist of commentary on my application from the notes there and re-emphasized that whatever reason for rejection listed in your letter truly is the major factor in your rejection.