Draken

Rejected from McGill 2017

60 posts in this topic

Rejected today on the basis of not sufficient French skill. No phone interview.

Had completed Explore and continue to self-study French at an intermediate level. Can't say I'm not disappointed but I have other offers.

Edited by Draken

Had completed Explore and continue to self-study French at an intermediate level. Can't say I'm not disappointed but I have other offers.

Via email or just a notice on minerva?

Via email or just a notice on minerva?

Both.

I am following up with the admissions office regarding the letter I received as it focused almost exclusively on my ability in French, which I found odd considering I did not receive an interview.

I did not emphasize my French skills in my application, but based off the assessment materials they provide on their site, my conversations with 1Ls I know this year, and my research on the assessment, I felt I was well above the minimum they set. So truly a bit puzzled.

I also got the response regarding the many strengths of my application and the encouragement to apply again with upgraded French skills, which I have seen from past posted threads seems to be sincere.

Definitely want to know if it's worthwhile to reapply, although I'm likely just going to take one of my other offers.

McGill is an odd duck.

Edited by Draken

Both.

I am following up with the admissions office regarding the letter I received as it focused almost exclusively on my ability in French, which I found odd considering I did not receive an interview.

I did not emphasize my French skills in my application, but based off the assessment materials they provide on their site, my conversations with 1Ls I know this year, and my research on the assessment, I felt I was well above the minimum they set. So truly a bit puzzled.

I also got the response regarding the many strengths of my application and the encouragement to apply again with upgraded French skills, which I have seen from past posted threads seems to be sincere.

Definitely want to know if it's worthwhile to reapply, although I'm likely just going to take one of my other offers.

McGill is an odd duck.

That is weird..not sure how they could make a judgement on your french without having tested it. I did a bilingual statement, so hopefully that doesn't happen to me. Good luck with everything!

That is weird..not sure how they could make a judgement on your french without having tested it. I did a bilingual statement, so hopefully that doesn't happen to me. Good luck with everything!

Yeah exactly my thought. I'm not holding out hope but maybe I missed a call somehow and they didn't leave a message?

Of course they could just be letting me down easy, but I think there are better ways of doing that than saying twice my application had a lot of strengths and my French was what was holding me back lol.

Hopefully they will clear it up for me tomorrow.

Good luck with your application! I'm pulling for you!

Edited by Draken

Yeah exactly my thought. I'm not holding out hope but maybe I missed a call somehow and they didn't leave a message?

Of course they could just be letting me down easy, but I think there are better ways of doing that than saying twice my application had a lot of strengths and my French was what was holding me back lol.

Hopefully they will clear it up for me tomorrow.

Good luck with your application! I'm pulling for you!

Yeah, well definitely let me know how it goes! Its insane to put a lot of energy and time into an application and get a response like that but certainly possible there was a communication issue. Good luck with that! and thanks a lot! I got a few good offers but McGill would be great.

Hey! What was your GPA , EC and LSAT score (if any)? 

Just an FYI, unless you actually highlighted your French-abilities in your cover letter, they are going to assume either no knowledge or low knowledge. Did you submit your EXPLORE grades? Were they decent? What level was it? If all you had on your transcript was "Explore, Elementary", yeah, you're going to look too low on a paper.

I spent 2 lines in my cover letter, along the lines "work in predominately French-language customer service job, courses all through schooling" Gave an honest "weaker in written, fluent in oral/comprehension". And had my French knowledge levels listed on my CV.

As to worth applying again - that's a personal decision. You have offers in hand (Congrats!), which means you can be going to law school as of September. Where do you want to practice? Did you want to actually spend that extra half-semester at McGill? There are no guarantees for admissions next year, even with improved French.

2 people like this

Sad to hear, OP.

In following up, be mindful of how you craft your argument. The seemingly re-emphasized French requirement may somehow be connected to the new deanship. The Dean seems to be taking administrative matters very seriously.

Hey! What was your GPA , EC and LSAT score (if any)?

GPA: 3.6

LSAT: 161

Not sure how strong they considered my ECs but I had a lot of them and significant work experience

Edited by Draken

Just an FYI, unless you actually highlighted your French-abilities in your cover letter, they are going to assume either no knowledge or low knowledge. Did you submit your EXPLORE grades? Were they decent? What level was it? If all you had on your transcript was "Explore, Elementary", yeah, you're going to look too low on a paper.

I spent 2 lines in my cover letter, along the lines "work in predominately French-language customer service job, courses all through schooling" Gave an honest "weaker in written, fluent in oral/comprehension". And had my French knowledge levels listed on my CV.

As to worth applying again - that's a personal decision. You have offers in hand (Congrats!), which means you can be going to law school as of September. Where do you want to practice? Did you want to actually spend that extra half-semester at McGill? There are no guarantees for admissions next year, even with improved French.

Did submit my explore grades, was a B+ at an intermediate level.

Yes I think the issue was a lack of emphasis on my French skills in the cover letter. Honestly I did not think it was necessary given the application online had us explain where our French skills come from and I listed everything there. Location of practice is not really a concern for me, and from what I've seen getting your degree at McGill gives you some flexibility there anyways.

Absolutely I get it is a personal decision to reapply, I'm not looking for their admissions office to tell me what to do and of course you are always viewed in relation to that year's applicants. I'm really just looking to get a sense from them if my perceived lack of French capacity was the substantive issue holding me back, being otherwise highly competitive, or if it was an easy letdown.

Having done a good bit of background research on McGill and the transsytemic approach and spoken with several 1Ls in the class I know, I did feel McGill has the best fit for me. But I've got a month and a bit still to think over my other offers.

Sad to hear, OP.

In following up, be mindful of how you craft your argument. The seemingly re-emphasized French requirement may somehow be connected to the new deanship. The Dean seems to be taking administrative matters very seriously.

Haha thanks Esper, I'll be trying to avoid making an argument at all. Not looking to challenge the decision, I'm sure they get enough of that already. Would just like some insight in case I decide to reapply.

Update: had a nice chat with a lady at admissions. She informed me that McGill is very clear in their letters about the reasons for refusal and walked me through why an applicant might not get a French interview call. She even pulled up my file and was able to tell me that comments left by adcom were very positive.

Seems I shot myself in the foot by not adaquetely conveying my French capacity. Got some good suggestions on how to improve for next year, may consider reapplying. Would recommend rejected candidates call and ask if they have questions as well as watch the webcast posted above. Will definitely help you determine if rejection was on "easily" fixed factors or if you are just overall not competitive.

1 person likes this

Update: had a nice chat with a lady at admissions. She informed me that McGill is very clear in their letters about the reasons for refusal and walked me through why an applicant might not get a French interview call. She even pulled up my file and was able to tell me that comments left by adcom were very positive.

Seems I shot myself in the foot by not adaquetely conveying my French capacity. Got some good suggestions on how to improve for next year, may consider reapplying. Would recommend rejected candidates call and ask if they have questions as well as watch the webcast posted above. Will definitely help you determine if rejection was on "easily" fixed factors or if you are just overall not competitive.

It's really good that you were able to get some clarity and that she was so helpful :) 

May I ask where your other offers came from, if you don't mind?

Goodluck with everything!

It's really good that you were able to get some clarity and that she was so helpful :)

May I ask where your other offers came from, if you don't mind?

Goodluck with everything!

Sitting on Western and Calgary.

Only have U of T to come in. Did not apply to any other schools as I had no interest in them for various reasons.

Sitting on Western and Calgary.

Only have U of T to come in. Did not apply to any other schools as I had no interest in them for various reasons.

GPA: 3.6

LSAT: 161

Not sure how strong they considered my ECs but I had a lot of them and significant work experience

From what program? Its great that they gave you details about why you were rejected - I have seen posts where people were not able to get that info! 

From what program? Its great that they gave you details about why you were rejected - I have seen posts where people were not able to get that info! 

Rather not say as it is quite unique and could give away personal info in connection with other things I've posted.

General info is it was a double major BA program from Ontario.

And yes, definitely appreciate them giving feedback, it's more than a lot of schools do.

Rather not say as it is quite unique and could give away personal info in connection with other things I've posted.

General info is it was a double major BA program from Ontario.

And yes, definitely appreciate them giving feedback, it's more than a lot of schools do.

Is the GPA out of 4 or 4.3?