1. Forums

1. 271

Discussions about the forums or the Discord server.

1. General

General discussion about law schools or your applications.

U of T vs. Osgoode, Queens vs. Western, so on and so forth: Get advice about which school is better to go to over another.

Questions, study tips, and general discussion about the LSAT.

Questions about lines of credit, loans, and paying for law school.

For applicants or law students looking to offer books / prep materials for purchase or sale.

1. 914

1. 2.6k

OCIs, summer jobs, applying for articling.

1. Ask a Lawyer

Not a lawyer but have a question about what it's like to be one?

1. 6.2k
  • Who's Online   47 Members, 2 Anonymous, 121 Guests (See full list)

• BHC1
    • anon48
    • PzabbytheLawyer
    • flertalgerdal1
    • scooter
    • Ina
    • Lawstudent234
    • alexx
    • legallybird
    • MiceInRice
    • TomCarnivalCruise
    • Anonymousmoose
    • doritos1
    • ellywoodsy
    • englishmajor
    • luna12
    • halamadrid
    • sociologicaldisaster
    • BondGuy
    • SouthLake
    • whitneysnow
    • anaolah
    • TheWingerGuarantee
    • significantword372
    • Lui
    • Layton1313
    • notterrible
    • Chef Justice
    • Scrantonicity2
    • Pizzaandpasta
    • Nurrdeer
    • Yorick
    • cola
    • lawschoolbro
    • ArchivesandMuseums
    • Antarctica
    • StephenToast
    • PeterPenPen
    • BlockedQuebecois
    • N. Mink
    • enpassant
    • Dog
    • Kimura
    • Trillex
    • Thor
    • Diplock
    • Lawstudents20202020

• Recent Posts

• leftphalange
      Thanks for the comforting and assuring advice.  I wouldn't think of my years left as "plenty" otherwise indeed.  And having worked in recruitment before I certainly fully understand the concerns of those making the recruiting decisions.  Though I haven't weighed in the loyalty issue.  
    • Anonymousmoose
      Hey,   Thank you for your quick response. My practice area that I want to work in is Family law. Would my grades still limit me in reaching out for jobs for 2L recruit? Or 2L jobs?   I am trying to focus on what happend and how I did so poor too. I have been reaching out to my professors and seeing where I went wrong to improve for next year. 
    • LMP
      Let's be candid, these are really bad grades. They're going to seriously limit your job search.  But, there is comparatively good news. You don't absolutely need a legal job in your 1L summer. While these grades probably fuck you over for the 2L recruit too, there is still hope. You also have time to raise your grades before the most important job search, articling.  Your goals should be:  1. Figure out why you're doing so poorly and work to correct it.  2. Try and pick a feasible practice area you are interested in. Work to learn about this area. Network, take courses in it, join clubs. Help make yourself more attractive to employers. Understand that a lot of the more competitive roles are currently out of your reach. Focus on what is attainable.  3. Once you've done both of these and raised your marks, start working on a narrative. A quick pitch you can give explaining why you did poorly, what you did to correct it and why it won't be an issue in the future. 
    • AAB
      Hello.  My areas are usually civil and constitutional.  However, I'm also a translator, and have become fascinated with an old criminal case from 1940 at the Court of Sessions of the Peace in Montreal.  The case file is gone; but I have collected a ton of press clippings in French and English with specific references to the events, and I'm hoping for help in finding the answers to some questions.  The case is a Preliminary hearing that was aborted after three false starts.  It never went to trial; but not because the judge found the evidence insufficient.  The Crown had been submitting exhibits unrelated to the charges.  The judge suddenly decided to act on those exhibits, and refer the exhibits to the Provincial government on matters not involved in the charges that had been laid.  The Quebec government then handed the accused to the federal level for internment.  So there was never any ruling as to whether the accused should be subject to a hearing on the actual charges laid.  I'm hoping to put bits and pieces together to get a fuller picture of the procedural matters, whether they were in line or out of bounds of the law. 1 - Can a judge of the Court of Sessions in 1940 act proprio motu on matters unrelated to the specific charges and for which no charges have been laid? 2 - Can a judge of the Court of Sessions in 1940 who accepts a Crown argument that he has the power to postpone the preliminary hearing, then allow a different judge to resume at the date of postponement, or is the first judge the actual presiding judge bound to continue in the file? 3 - Can the accused, charged under the Defense of Canada Regulations (DOCR) annexed to the War Measures Act, be deprived of access to their lawyers?  There were about a dozen accused in this file, they spent from approx. 30 May 1940 to 21 June 1940 incarcerated in Bordeaux Jail without access to their lawyers, each other, or their families. 4 - Can a judge of the Court of Sessions of the Peace in 1940 spontaneously come up with something for which the accused have not been charged and take action on it, or would a judge have to wait for the Crown to take action on it before weighing in? 5 - In 1949, a few years after WWII, some of the accused filed suit in an attempt to resume the aborted hearing that had been continued "sine die".  The chief justice to whom their procedure was addressed (it seems to have been a petition), said he had no power to resume the preliminary hearing; also, the judge who had aborted the preliminary hearing had died and in such a case, a hearing DE NOVO would have to be held.  However, the chief justice also noted that during the men's internment, their photos and fingerprints had been destroyed; and he said that he considered them discharged from the charges, so that there could be no hearing. Nonetheless, it seems that this chief justice, who had been the first judge in the accused's file in 1940, had acted as presiding judge by using a power to postpone the hearing that the Crown  insisted he use; as such, could he now, as chief justice, have resumed the preliminary hearing, for example in the event that he had not had authority to relinquish the file to the next judge who then acted as presiding judge, and who then aborted the hearing. I'm sure I'll have other questions.  If anyone is interested in weighing in on this, it would be much appreciated.  I'm looking for the law of the day, not just speculation. Thanks for your time.  Kind regards, AAB  
    • leftbehindjd
      That's assuming an articling position could be found in the first place. Actually it's much easier to do the LPP (first half is remote) and find a good placement for 4 months while already working in government. It only means taking 4 months off and keeping your job. Where you first article or do a practical experience sort of sets the career trajectory but the same is not true when done in reverse. Meaning you won't get something unique or ideal straight from school.
    • Anonymousmoose
      Hey y'all   I just finished my 1L grades and did terrible. I got a D+, C, C, C+ and one F. The F, I can change pass/fail if I pass the rewrite. Be honest though, am I screwed with these grades in 1L. It was a very hard year and I busted my ass out for these grades and I am feeling super defeated. I am determined to do better in 2L but I feel so defeated and sad with these grades. I feel like my future is screwed and fucked. Please give me advice on whether I am screwed or not? Is there any hope for me or not.   I got to Dal for context.
    • flertalgerdal1
      Not all that often, but I do from time to time. I would say that it isn't enough to affect my comfort from day to day. There is enough diversity in the program to keep me from feeling like an outcast. 
  • Recent Topics

Important Information

By accessing this website, you agree to abide by our Terms of Use. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU WILL NOT CONSTRUE ANY POST ON THIS WEBSITE AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE EVEN IF SUCH POST IS MADE BY A PERSON CLAIMING TO BE A LAWYER. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.