Demander

What kind summer jobs are good for enjoying 0L summer?

I have applied to a few summer jobs to help fund a bit of fun and travel. What kinds of summer jobs have y'all enjoyed in the last summer before law school?

I worked at an airline and a pharmaceutical company, but took quite a bit of time off to travel before law school started. Most of my friends didn't work at all the summer before law school and simply traveled the world or took full advantage of their summer.

• Like 2

I worked part time at a solicitor's office and part time as a RA at the law school, and then went to French camp on the government's dime. All round, an excellent summer. Probably the best one I've had in a long time.

• Like 3

I taught the LSAT in the evenings. Left plenty of time for the beach during the day. 

It doesn't matter what you do 0L summer, so just enjoy yourself. 

• Like 1

I worked part-time at a call center. It was great - had weekday 5-hour shifts ~5pm-10pm (with longer weekend shifts, but which still never went past 10), which meant I could go out after the shift, sleep in obnoxiously late the next day, go for brunch / do errands / enjoy the sun / whatever, and have lots of time before working again. It was awesome.

• Like 2

Something that involves crushing your soul in preparation for the eternity of soul crushing that awaits.

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken pieces" - Hemingway.

That or .. sun worship. I think I chose the latter.

Edited by daw33d
  • Like 1

I worked at a law firm in their PBSC unit.

I agree with the advice to work at something that will earn the most amount of money. Law school is expensive. I'm surprised that so many know so many 0Ls who didn't work. I don't know anyone who did that and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who is funding law school through a PSLOC and loans.

• Like 3

I had a full time job before starting law school, but for an earlier summer job I worked at a car rental place. I washed cars and drove them around to deliver them to / pick them up from customers. A few times they flew me to places to drive a car back. That was a good summer.

Restaurant work is both fun and also going to give you a good reminder of how good you'll have it when you have your law degree and don't have to run around like a chicken with its head cut-off for low wages.

• Like 3

If your parents are paying - doesn't matter.

I disagree with this. My parents paid for my education but I certainly wasn't going to goof off all summer and not contribute. I worked every summer since I was 16 and that didn't change in the summer prior to 1L.

• Like 3

Restaurant work is both fun and also going to give you a good reminder of how good you'll have it when you have your law degree and don't have to run around like a chicken with its head cut-off for low wages.

Being a bartender for the past 3 years, I've had my fun. I've also had nights  I've had to carry drunks out, had fingers snapped in my face, and dealt with sexism in the workplace almost every shift. 

Great character building job, but I can't wait to go back to school. 

• Like 1

I disagree with this. My parents paid for my education but I certainly wasn't going to goof off all summer and not contribute. I worked every summer since I was 16 and that didn't change in the summer prior to 1L.

Working is better than not working. But if you don't have financial concerns, then you should just pick whatever job is offered to you sounds the most fun. In other words, it almost certainly won't affect your career one way or the other.

• Like 1

I have applied to a few summer jobs to help fund a bit of fun and travel. What kinds of summer jobs have y'all enjoyed in the last summer before law school?

Watch Risky Business. Seriously.

• Like 1

I worked part time at a solicitor's office and part time as a RA at the law school, and then went to French camp on the government's dime. All round, an excellent summer. Probably the best one I've had in a long time.

Was this the Explore program? I've heard good things about it

• Like 1

I'm in a similar boat! I'm not in a dire financial situation but I would prefer to be as little of a moneyhole as possible lol

I worked on a boat! It was really fun, I really loved it until I couldn't stop vomitting.

In short, don't work on a boat.

• Like 4

Was this the Explore program? I've heard good things about it

It was the Explore program. It was pretty great. Highly recommend it. I assume it will get cut from government funding at some point bc, realistically, it's just a big party, so I encourage ppl to take advantage of it while it lasts.

I did improve my French, I learned more about Franco-Canada and Quebec, got a few UG credits (that I didn't need), and interacted with other young Canadians from across the country, all of which is valuable, but I just can't see the government justifying the program forever.

Edited by conge
  • Like 1