So I just got my December 2016 score back and it was a 150. That's not funny, I'm still a little in shock. This was the first time I wrote the test and was confident that I scored at least a 158. When I checked the answer sheet and my scantron I realized I just ruined my life. For sections 2 and 3 I missed a question, so all the answers I put down were for the following question, ie. put answer for #4 on scantron #3. I could've gotten a 163, and with my 3.63 gpa, gotten in somewhere. :( oh well there's goes another year.

• Like 1

Hegdis    12289

Dude. Or Lady. Have a virtual beer. That's a rough go.

• Like 4

Yogurt Baron    1700

This does happen. You're not the first or only person to make this kind of mistake. Chin up---in the words of Josh Lyman, when you write your memoir, this will be the character-building funny part.

• Like 2

McSweeney    55

That's rough man, I've always been petrified of making that exact same mistake. That's why I always do something that I learned in the Powerscore Bible: whenever you choose an answer, quietly whisper the question number and the answer when you go to fill it in on the answer sheet. eg: "23 B."

I'm also not sure how closely people emulate the actual test when they're doing practice tests. For a long time, I would simply circle the answers on the question sheet and wouldn't fill in an answer sheet bubble. Then I figured I should photocopy and use real answer sheets. It seems like such a small thing, but getting this muscle memory action down made a difference, and I imagine that people who don't do this until the day of the actual test are thrown off and prone to mistakes like the OP made.

• Like 1

yoni45    321

Whoa hold up -- all is not lost!

I've found LSAC to actually be somewhat forgiving for blatant bubbling errors. What you'd need to do is request a handscore from LSAC and in the request note the specific points of misbubble where they occurred (be sure to refer to your test booklet for supporting evidence). If there's a notable pattern you've got a good case.

Note: Officially, LSAC does not correct for transcription errors. That means that in this situation, you're entirely at their mercy, so be sure to word your handscore request accordingly. But I've had a few students and other cases that I know of that did request handscores for this kind of stuff, and their score was adjusted. I haven't really heard of any denials any time it was reasonable either (though I haven't seen that many cases to be fair and it's been a while since the last time).

You can find the handscoring process details here: http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/handscoring

Good luck!

• Like 9

easttowest    27

Yoni has great advice for you.

If you end up needing to re-test, I always put a small star besides questions I was skipping and erased them all at the end of the section.

This way I didn't double up lines and could quickly see where I needed to go back and think a little bit harder. Just a thought, we'd all rather your appeal go through!

And even if your request doesn't go your way, I would see this as an opportunity to aim even higher for next time and kill it! I made terrible mistakes my first time through and scored a 153. Really gave me the motivation I needed to score a 173 this time around. Best of luck to you!

Thanks a lot Yoni and everyone for your support :). I'll send the appeal off in the mail this Friday, hopefully I'll here back soon.

• Like 1