Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

GPA is a sinking ship! (170, 3.56)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rih

rih
  • Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:33 PM

First year: 3.90

Second year: 3.88

Third year: 3.20

OLSAS cGPA: 3.56

(This semester so far: 3.00)

(LSAT: 170, 164)

I know a lot of law schools look for an upward trend in GPA. I seem to be going downhill in both LSAT and GPA!!! Really want to get in to Western, has anyone else gotten in with such a downward trend? For background, I'd say I have solid ECs and LoRs, and doing undergrad at U of T.

According to the predict-o-matic thing, I should have a very decent shot based on my LSAT and cGPA, but of course cGPA doesn't tell the whole story when it comes to admissions...

#2 drankcoffee

drankcoffee
  • Members
  • 259 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

What is your degree in, just curious? I ask because I think it is common knowledge that some degrees (esp science-based ones) have far more difficult upper-level classes than others. Especially around third year, I remember in my own program most people started failing out, retaking classes because they were so difficult, etc. The average in some of my classes went from mid-70s in 2nd year to low-50s in third year, and the profs ended up having to curve our finals in two of the prereqs by 10% because it was so bad.  

In either case you have a very good LSAT score and I think it is impressive enough to leave a mark on Western, regardless of the dip in your GPA.

Edited by drankcoffee, 21 December 2016 - 03:46 PM.

• rih likes this

#3 beyondsection17

beyondsection17
  • Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:33 PM

I'm sure you already know this, but most schools, Western included, tend to be more forgiving of low cGPAs that have an upward trend. But hey, I'm not on adcom.

#4 pzabbythesecond

pzabbythesecond
  • Members
  • 468 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 21 December 2016 - 11:39 PM

with a 170 as your highest score and a cgpa of 3.56, I expect you to gain admissions very soon. 

Edited by pzabbythesecond, 22 December 2016 - 12:00 AM.

• rih likes this

#5 rih

rih
  • Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:14 PM

What is your degree in, just curious? I ask because I think it is common knowledge that some degrees (esp science-based ones) have far more difficult upper-level classes than others. Especially around third year, I remember in my own program most people started failing out, retaking classes because they were so difficult, etc. The average in some of my classes went from mid-70s in 2nd year to low-50s in third year, and the profs ended up having to curve our finals in two of the prereqs by 10% because it was so bad.  

In either case you have a very good LSAT score and I think it is impressive enough to leave a mark on Western, regardless of the dip in your GPA.

I have no excuse. Just a typical Social Science degree (Economics major, Linguistics major, Poli sci minor)

Thanks for the input

#6 rih

rih
  • Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:15 PM

I'm sure you already know this, but most schools, Western included, tend to be more forgiving of low cGPAs that have an upward trend. But hey, I'm not on adcom.

Yeah I said that specifically in my original post so I'm not sure what help it is to hear it again. It's not really an answer to any of my questions.