Steven22

Professor won't tell me how I'm doing in class

Hi there, 

I'm currently a 1L at Windsor and I've had a bunch of graded assignments already. I know that Windsor has a "B average", The difference between a B average and a B curve I'm not too sure ..... I've spoken to my professors and they all refuse to tell me what the class average is so I have no way of seeing how I'm doing in relation to everyone else, I could be getting the lowest mark in every class for all I know. I was also told that they won't be giving out lettered grades after the December midterms , so in other words, I'm going to have no idea if I'm doing terrible/average/excellent until the final marks come out in May. I know I can ask my classmates what they got on each assignment every time we get a mark but I really don't want to be that annoying person. I would really appriciate some advice on this. Thank you very much for your time :)      

Hi there, 

I'm currently a 1L at Windsor and I've had a bunch of graded assignments already. I know that Windsor has a "B average", The difference between a B average and a B curve I'm not too sure ..... I've spoken to my professors and they all refuse to tell me what the class average is so I have no way of seeing how I'm doing in relation to everyone else, I could be getting the lowest mark in every class for all I know. I was also told that they won't be giving out lettered grades after the December midterms , so in other words, I'm going to have no idea if I'm doing terrible/average/excellent until the final marks come out in May. I know I can ask my classmates what they got on each assignment every time we get a mark but I really don't want to be that annoying person. I would really appriciate some advice on this. Thank you very much for your time :)      

This isn't that atypical, is it? We got "unofficial" letter grades at McGill after 1L mid-year exams, but nothing on a transcript or anything. The faculty might be trying to send you a message that you should relax about grades at this point and focus on learning.

Alternatively, check if Windsor has a charter of student rights or something equivalent to that. They often have a "right" to reasonable feedback and explain how to enforce that right (although honestly, if profs say no, you might not want to push them and poison the relationship for no real reason).

• Like 3

This isn't that atypical, is it? We got "unofficial" letter grades at McGill after 1L mid-year exams, but nothing on a transcript or anything. The faculty might be trying to send you a message that you should relax about grades at this point and focus on learning.

Alternatively, check if Windsor has a charter of student rights or something equivalent to that. They often have a "right" to reasonable feedback and explain how to enforce that right (although honestly, if profs say no, you might not want to push them and poison the relationship for no real reason).

Thank you, I don't understand why they can't just give an average. Some of these assignments are worth 30% ,  I think that's significant enough to be worried about.

Even if they were fail safe, I'd want to know how I'm doing relative to my peers. That way I know whether to change my study habits or not, by how much, etc. Isn't that the whole point of midterms, fail safe or not?

Hi there, 

Honestly, does it matter?

Like, I get why you think it does. I get why I think it would. However, the end advice is still, learn the material and do the best you can. Whether you're doing excellent or poorly in relation to the class changes nothing.

If your problem is the professors won't give you feedback on your work with advice as to how you could improve your work, that's a different story. However, your comparative standing among your peers is not the issue.

• Like 10

It's not easy to hear given the stress you're under but I think Pyke has articulated the situation perfectly. Do your best regardless and try not to worry about your peers. And remember to go easy on yourself too. It can be a rough time of year.

I'm not sure if this helps but I don't think I was ever told how the *rest* of the class was doing until we received our final mark. I also know from various experience that my Professors rarely had to adjust the marks to fit the curve - often we just landed there naturally.

You can probably safely guess that your class's current marks are fitting within the B curve so it is unlikely that they will be adjusted. If you're getting B's on assignments - you're likely average, if you're getting Cs then you're below and if you're getting As then you're above. 

Hi there, 

Have you considered an FOI request?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-make-freedom-information-request

I dont know what you can really do about it. But i do think its nice when profs tell you the average. From what I remember, pretty much all my profs would always tell the class average for an assignment because that really tells you how you did. I totally get not wanting to give out letter grades for every assignment, thats just a pointless hassle. I definatel think you should be told the class average after December midterms. They wont do tht either? All of my profs in 1L did.

But at the end of the day tho, if they arent required to tell you, then really nothing you can do about it except learn the material and try your best.

If all your professors are treating all students similarly, exactly what advice do you imagine is possible? Are you asking us how you should change institutional policy across your entire school? Or are you asking us how you can persuade all your professors that you are somehow a special case? Surely you see that either of those expectations is more than a little ridiculous.

The only good advice is on the same line as Pyke's. Control what you can control - which in this case is your own anxiety. Get used to the idea that your years of gold stars and continual feedback and reassurance that you are outperforming your peers are simply done. It doesn't get better from here. Soon you'll have a job, and you'll never know where the hell you stand most days, much less where you stand relative to your peers.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Why take the grown up route... http://www.legaltree.ca/node/723

Is it sad that I'm now curious about this? Like, I wouldn't do it, but its still interesting to think about for shits and giggles.

Edited by Pyke
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if this helps but I don't think I was ever told how the *rest* of the class was doing until we received our final mark. I also know from various experience that my Professors rarely had to adjust the marks to fit the curve - often we just landed there naturally.

You can probably safely guess that your class's current marks are fitting within the B curve so it is unlikely that they will be adjusted. If you're getting B's on assignments - you're likely average, if you're getting Cs then you're below and if you're getting As then you're above. 

Thank you for your reply, all of the marks we've been getting are really high, like in the 80s and 90s. I'm pretty sure most of the class are either getting perfect or higher than 95, but this is just my guess because I clearly have not asked everyone. I wish they would give marks that resemble the B average so I can use your technique. 

You'd think he'd be embarassed to admit to the world at large that he's basically a crazed gunner. Some people have no shame...

yea I'll admit that I have no shame  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  but the idea of getting a mystery grade come May is scary. 

Do law school transcripts even contain class averages?

They do now at U of A.