Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Accepted to Manitoba 2017

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#26 lookingaround

lookingaround
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:31 AM

LOR for U of M?

They're accepted for individual consideration. With that index, app was probably moved into regular category, where the LORs wouldn't be relevant.

#27 divalawyer

divalawyer
  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

You're right, thanks for clarifying.

#28 KantLockemeout

KantLockemeout
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:14 PM

Got in on the 13th.

LSAT 159

cgpa 3.48 (probably 3.7-3.8 with drops)

#29 howdydo

howdydo
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:40 PM

Got in on the 13th.

LSAT 159

cgpa 3.48 (probably 3.7-3.8 with drops)

is that your agpa on the manitoba scale?

#30 KantLockemeout

KantLockemeout
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:11 PM

is that your agpa on the manitoba scale?

No 3.48 is my cgpa on OLSAS. I never tried converting it to the agpa scale, but it would be higher for sure.

#31 ANG

ANG
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:15 PM

No 3.48 is my cgpa on OLSAS. I never tried converting it to the agpa scale, but it would be higher for sure.

Congrats that's amazing!! I just have a few quick questions(feel free to ignore lol)!

How many years of your undergrad have you done/ would U of M have also added drops on top of that(they do if you have already completed 90 credits by now)?

I am wondering as I am a 159 LSAT with a 3.84/4.5 gpa(no drops to be made unfortunately) and therefore 75.167 index. I expect if I get in it will be via wait list sometime between March and June.

Also- were you in index category?

Thanks! :)

#32 KantLockemeout

KantLockemeout
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:19 AM

Congrats that's amazing!! I just have a few quick questions(feel free to ignore lol)!

How many years of your undergrad have you done/ would U of M have also added drops on top of that(they do if you have already completed 90 credits by now)?

I am wondering as I am a 159 LSAT with a 3.84/4.5 gpa(no drops to be made unfortunately) and therefore 75.167 index. I expect if I get in it will be via wait list sometime between March and June.

Also- were you in index category?

Thanks! :)

Thanks! I am currently in 4th year, and have completed over 90 credits (at the time I applied). So with drops (I think they drop the 6 lowest half courses), my cgpa would go up to a 3.7 or 3.8, and converted to a 4.5 scale would probably be a 3.9-3.95. Yes I was in the index category. Sounds to me like you're really close so I'm sure it's just a matter of time (fingers crossed)! Good luck!

#33 Samiam1

Samiam1
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

Have any of you received entrance scholarship information with your offer or after your offer?

Edited by Samiam1, 19 December 2016 - 10:15 AM.

#34 yoelle

yoelle
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

Have any of you received entrance scholarship information with your offer or after your offer?

I did, my characteristic statement is due today, the 20th of Dec as I did it include it in my original application

#35 Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

Does anyone know what the index cut off was for the first round?

#36 lookingaround

lookingaround
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

Does anyone know what the index cut off was for the first round?

If you want it for sure, best to call them and ask, that's the only way anyone will know.

Going through this thread, the lowest accepted figure so far is 74.72222 (although that was with a gpa as 'probably after drops', so uncertain. I took the highest). Few in the 75 range. Looks like a relatively generous year (someone in last year's accepted thread said they called & it was 75.687)

#37 WpgJD

WpgJD
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

If you want it for sure, best to call them and ask, that's the only way anyone will know.

Going through this thread, the lowest accepted figure so far is 74.72222 (although that was with a gpa as 'probably after drops', so uncertain. I took the highest). Few in the 75 range. Looks like a relatively generous year (someone in last year's accepted thread said they called & it was 75.687)

I don't think the lowest accepted would be 74.722 otherwise ANG would have also found out on the 13th, KantLockemeout said the 3.7-3.8 was before transferring to the 4.5 scale. Last year people were getting accepted up to at least #58 on the waitlist so I doubt anyone who was close to getting an early offer needs to worry about getting accepted. But that's just speculation.

#38 lookingaround

lookingaround
  • Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 03:02 AM

I don't think the lowest accepted would be 74.722 otherwise ANG would have also found out on the 13th, KantLockemeout said the 3.7-3.8 was before transferring to the 4.5 scale. Last year people were getting accepted up to at least #58 on the waitlist so I doubt anyone who was close to getting an early offer needs to worry about getting accepted. But that's just speculation.

You're right, I didn't see their later post clarifying the scale. In that case chiahuahua's agpa must be higher than calculated as well, as the agpa they have of 3.53 comes to 75, which is still slightly lower than ANG.

#39 howdydo

howdydo
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

I emailed admissions, the early index cutoff was 75.648

#40 ragnarlodbrok

ragnarlodbrok
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:13 PM

accepted.

cgpa 4.2/4.5

lsat 157

choosing between ottawa and manitoba. any advice

#41 Constant

Constant
  • Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

Where do you want to practice?

#42 ExL

ExL
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

Accepted as of December 20th

Stats:

cGPA: 3.2

L2: 3.56

LSAT: 161

#43 lawdreams

lawdreams
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

I emailed admissions, the early index cutoff was 75.648

I know that this was the cut-off for 2016/17 did you happen to ask what they used as the cut off for this application session? or did it just happen to stay the exact same?

Edited by lawdreams, 01 January 2017 - 08:44 PM.

#44 howdydo

howdydo
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:08 PM

I know that this was the cut-off for 2016/17 did you happen to ask what they used as the cut off for this application session? or did it just happen to stay the exact same?

the cut-off just happens to be the same as it was last year, according to admissions dept

#45 Emily93

Emily93
  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:08 PM

So my Index score (according to my own calculations) was 75.83, but for some reason I didn't get accepted in the early cycle. Could this be because I also took the Dec lsat (in addition to Sept.) and took classes this term? I'm freaking out that I made a mistake in the application process or something. Beside my application it just says "payment received, ready for review". 

#46 howdydo

howdydo
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:39 PM

So my Index score (according to my own calculations) was 75.83, but for some reason I didn't get accepted in the early cycle. Could this be because I also took the Dec lsat (in addition to Sept.) and took classes this term? I'm freaking out that I made a mistake in the application process or something. Beside my application it just says "payment received, ready for review". 

are you sure that you self-calculated your GPA in accordance with UofM's conversion table? It's on a 4.5 scale. I don't think it matters if you wrote the test in December also. If your index was high enough they would just auto-admit you without waiting for the Dec score. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me like you've just made a mistake in calculating your index. 

#47 Emily93

Emily93
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:41 AM

are you sure that you self-calculated your GPA in accordance with UofM's conversion table? It's on a 4.5 scale. I don't think it matters if you wrote the test in December also. If your index was high enough they would just auto-admit you without waiting for the Dec score. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me like you've just made a mistake in calculating your index. 

It's definitely right, but it's including this terms grades (released last week) which were 3 As, so that probably brought it up a bit and thats why i didn't get into the early cycle, that would make sense I guess lol. 

#48 lawdreams

lawdreams
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

It's definitely right, but it's including this terms grades (released last week) which were 3 As, so that probably brought it up a bit and thats why i didn't get into the early cycle, that would make sense I guess lol. 

Ya i think that's right, cause my score will be close to your 75.83 and I am still waiting on december marks to be released and will need them to get above the cut off.. so i'm assuming they'll just wait until the final day of posting final marks - if that makes sense 

#49 Emily93

Emily93
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:21 PM

So my GPA is now 3.54 with drops and I got 169 on the December LSAT. Does anyone know when I should find out if i'm in or not? 

#50 Emily93

Emily93
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:23 PM

So my GPA is now 3.54 with drops and I got 169 on the December LSAT. Does anyone know when I should find out if i'm in or not? 

Sorry, 3.52 not 3.54.