pennyh7

Waitlisted at Calgary 2017

73 posts in this topic

Figured I'd start this topic....

Got the waitlisted e-mail on Thursday (Dec. 8th)

CGPA: 3.64

L2: 3.82

I took LSAT 3 times....147, 150, 154

Good EC's & reference letters

Figured I'd start this topic....

Got the waitlisted e-mail on Thursday (Dec. 8th)

CGPA: 3.64

L2: 3.82

I took LSAT 3 times....147, 150, 154

Good EC's & reference letters

What's your work experience like?

I was waitlisted today.

L2: 3.6

LSAT: Two takes- 166 and 170

Strong references & decent (albeit not extraordinary) work experience and ECs

I was waitlisted today.

Wow a 170 LSAT waitlisted!

1 person likes this

I was waitlisted today.

Have you completed your degree? I can't help but wonder what factors would cause you to be waitlisted with a 170 LSAT. Alternatively, can you comment further on what you consider decent work experience/ECs?

Edited by DescartesBeforeTheHorse

I was waitlisted today.

That seems very bizarre with that kind of stat you should be able to get into every school

Have you completed your degree? I can't help but wonder what factors would cause you to be waitlisted with a 170 LSAT. Alternatively, can you comment further on what you consider decent work experience/ECs?

I completed my degree in 2016. It took me five years to complete, so that may (?) have been a factor. I have work experience in multiple industries: retail, restaurant, reception and social media. I also have a year of volunteer experience at a Suicide Awareness organization doing data entry and clerical work, as well as many other one-day volunteer roles.  I am confident that my references were strong, and I went on exchange in third year. The personal statement I submitted was decent, although not as good as the one I sent to UVic and UBC. 

Wow a 170 LSAT waitlisted!

That seems very bizarre with that kind of stat you should be able to get into every school

I am glad I'm not the only one who was surprised by this. I was definitely not expecting to be waitlisted; it shows how holistic the U of C admissions are. 

Edited by eileengray

I completed my degree in 2016. It took me five years to complete, so that may (?) have been a factor. I have work experience in multiple industries: retail, restaurant, reception and social media. I also have a year of volunteer experience at a Suicide Awareness organization doing data entry and clerical work, as well as many other one-day volunteer roles.  I am confident that my references were strong, and I went on exchange in third year. The personal statement I submitted was decent, although not as good as the one I sent to UVic and UBC. 

I am glad I'm not the only one who was surprised by this. I was definitely not expecting to be waitlisted; it shows how holistic the U of C admissions are. 

Yeah I don't think the 5 years was a factor. I did the same and got in first round with a 3.71 L2 and 161 LSAT.

Veeeeeeery surprising to hear that you got waitlisted especially with both LSAT takes being so high.

Is your CGPA very low? I believe the adcom also look at your overall academic performance even though they say L2 has the most emphasis.

Would love to know what adcom was thinking. Your LSAT score is on par for top tier US schools.

I think you're probably right. If they're trying to build a class with a variety backgrounds, they may want to see more complete applications before giving you an offer. Who knows, you may be accepted soon.

Is your CGPA very low? I believe the adcom also look at your overall academic performance even though they say L2 has the most emphasis.

I'm fairly certain that my cGPA was a 3.37. This definitely could have played a role. 

Edited by eileengray

I'm fairly certain that my cGPA was a 3.37. This definitely could have played a role.

Crazy, that's not even that low, especially with an LSAT that good. I was more thinking if it had been sub 3.0.

Got a real Scooby Doo mystery here.

I was waitlisted today.

If you don't mind me asking, what province are you from?

you'll get in, just be patient. UNLESS your personal statement is filled with grammar mistakes, etc. Your CGPA is strong enough. Are you more interested in Calgary or another school?

If you don't mind me asking, what province are you from?

I'm from Alberta, born and raised in Calgary. 

you'll get in, just be patient. UNLESS your personal statement is filled with grammar mistakes, etc. Your CGPA is strong enough. Are you more interested in Calgary or another school?

UBC is my top choice. I'm also perfectly happy to go to UVic, where I have already been admitted, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

Edited by eileengray

Got the waitlisted email today

OLSAS cGPA: 3.76

LSAT: 164

Do you know (even roughly) what your GPA in last 60 credits would be? Can you comment on ECs/work experience?

Thanks!

Edited by DescartesBeforeTheHorse

Last 60 credits percent wise is 85~86, not sure what my GPA would be.

ECs/work experience decent, but not outstanding. 

Probably good letters of reference, but one was from an employer instead of a professor if that might affect anything.

1 person likes this

Last 60 credits percent wise is 85~86, not sure what my GPA would be.

ECs/work experience decent, but not outstanding. 

Probably good letters of reference, but one was from an employer instead of a professor if that might affect anything.

I'm not clear exactly how Calgary converts percentages into GPA (do they take your average and convert to GPA, or do they do it course by course?), but I would guess that's probably about 3.80 based on the chart on their admissions page.

Thanks!

Got the waitlisted email today

OLSAS cGPA: 3.76

LSAT: 164

thats really good stats! 

You'll definitely get accepted somewhere else!

thats really good stats!

You'll definitely get accepted somewhere else!

Thank you! I've already been accepted to a few other schools so I'm not too worried!