Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Does Windsor use OLSAS cGPA?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 YemenJemen

YemenJemen
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:27 PM

Windsor confuses me, I keep seeing everyone's "Windsor GPA" as a percentage. Do they have their own system of determining marks? If I have a 75% cumulative average at a school that uses percentages, will they be using that or will they use the OLSAS calculated cGPA? 

....also what are my chances like with a 75% cGPA 

#2 ristiisa

ristiisa
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:05 PM

Windsor confuses me, I keep seeing everyone's "Windsor GPA" as a percentage. Do they have their own system of determining marks? If I have a 75% cumulative average at a school that uses percentages, will they be using that or will they use the OLSAS calculated cGPA? 

....also what are my chances like with a 75% cGPA 

Depends on your LSAT and your applicability to their "social justice focus". They've accepted people with that range who have expressed social-justicy personal statements. They've also rejected people with much higher.

As to whether they convert OLSAS into their own, yes they convert it to a percentage. I'm not sure the grading scheme as to how they do that.

#3 YemenJemen

YemenJemen
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:16 PM

Depends on your LSAT and your applicability to their "social justice focus". They've accepted people with that range who have expressed social-justicy personal statements. They've also rejected people with much higher.

As to whether they convert OLSAS into their own, yes they convert it to a percentage. I'm not sure the grading scheme as to how they do that.

I'm writing a Political Science thesis that's very focused on social justice concepts, and I have volunteer work. I think I can swing that in a solid personal statement and score a high LSAT. 

#4 ristiisa

ristiisa
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:25 AM

I'm writing a Political Science thesis that's very focused on social justice concepts, and I have volunteer work. I think I can swing that in a solid personal statement and score a high LSAT. 

That's definitely a strength. Volunteer work is good too. Read some of the past Windsor Accepted threads and look at what other people did, that will give you a good idea. Also - be weary of banking on a high LSAT ahead of the time. Not being sceptical of your abilities or anything because I don't know you, but if you haven't had much experience with it yet, it does you no service to just assume you can do really well to make up for a low GPA. I had the same issue myself - low GPA and always thought I could score an insanely high LSAT to make up for it. My LSAT expectations gradually lowered over my several months of studying, and while I'm happy with my score, it's nowhere near the 170+ I had envisioned.

#5 hermoine123

hermoine123
  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 09 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

That's definitely a strength. Volunteer work is good too. Read some of the past Windsor Accepted threads and look at what other people did, that will give you a good idea. Also - be weary of banking on a high LSAT ahead of the time. Not being sceptical of your abilities or anything because I don't know you, but if you haven't had much experience with it yet, it does you no service to just assume you can do really well to make up for a low GPA. I had the same issue myself - low GPA and always thought I could score an insanely high LSAT to make up for it. My LSAT expectations gradually lowered over my several months of studying, and while I'm happy with my score, it's nowhere near the 170+ I had envisioned.

I just checked myuwindsor and on my application it says "law admission average" and then a GPA. Doesn't winsor convert these to a percentage? And where/when will I be able to see that percentage if they do. 

#6 ristiisa

ristiisa
  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:13 AM

I just checked myuwindsor and on my application it says "law admission average" and then a GPA. Doesn't winsor convert these to a percentage? And where/when will I be able to see that percentage if they do. 

Can't answer this - I'm an applicant just like you and am seeing the exact same thing. Perhaps look around in old "Accepted" posts.

#7 ChrisSquats

ChrisSquats
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

I see that you're located in Toronto, would you mind telling me where you did you undergrad?

I went to York but OLSAS hasn't even reviewed my transcript yet let alone send it off to the schools I applied to :(