dannyboy

Accepted to Ottawa 2017

295 posts in this topic

On 5/6/2017 at 7:03 PM, yoginiintraining said:

Accepted today!

Cgpa: 2.84, L2: 3.4, LSAT: 154, MA: 4.0, a number of publications in various mediums, strong work experience, good EC's, and a strong personal statement.

Very excited about this as UOttawa was my first choice for a long time (was waitlisted last year), but am now very conflicted as I have an acceptance at Lakehead with a very generous scholarship offer. 

Not sure what I'm going to do, but am definitely celebrating this acceptance!

 

 

:) Wonderful , I also have graduate degrees, and I think it helped, congratulations  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2017 at 7:03 PM, yoginiintraining said:

Accepted today!

Cgpa: 2.84, L2: 3.4, LSAT: 154, MA: 4.0, a number of publications in various mediums, strong work experience, good EC's, and a strong personal statement.

Very excited about this as UOttawa was my first choice for a long time (was waitlisted last year), but am now very conflicted as I have an acceptance at Lakehead with a very generous scholarship offer. 

Not sure what I'm going to do, but am definitely celebrating this acceptance!

 

 

How does one get accepted to a masters program, with a 2.84 cgpa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bgates275 said:

How does one get accepted to a masters program, with a 2.84 cgpa?

Work experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, pandafluff said:

Work experience?

Hmm, the only program I could see that being a possibility for, is an MBA. I guess it's also possible that they did their masters at U of T, or somewhere else that also only looks at the final or two year of undergraduate grades.

Edited by bgates275

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bgates275 said:

How does one get accepted to a masters program, with a 2.84 cgpa?

With at least a B+ avg in the last two years of study, research interests that are strongly aligned with the professor you want to work with, perspectives on a topic that is understudied in a specific niche of academia, and with a killer statement of interest (arguably the most important aspect when applying to graduate school). With all of that, I got an entrance scholarship to the program for my first year and won a CIHR grant that funded my MA research during my second year.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bgates275 said:

Hmm, the only program I could see that being a possibility for, is an MBA. I guess it's also possible that they did their masters at U of T, or somewhere else that also only looks at the final or two year of undergraduate grades.

Most MA programs only look at L2 years of study. I completed my MA at UBC.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accepted, applied access with a 164 LSAT and a low undergrad GPA of 3.21, but I'm a mature student.

As I understand, Ottawa does not give out physical acceptance packages. The packages I have gotten from other school have much more information than the PDF acceptance letter I got from Ottawa - recommended reading, class overviews, etc. Does anyone know if this information is available on the uozone website? I can't seem to find anything and I'm the type that likes to plan and be prepared...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tastybites said:

Accepted, applied access with a 164 LSAT and a low undergrad GPA of 3.21, but I'm a mature student.

As I understand, Ottawa does not give out physical acceptance packages. The packages I have gotten from other school have much more information than the PDF acceptance letter I got from Ottawa - recommended reading, class overviews, etc. Does anyone know if this information is available on the uozone website? I can't seem to find anything and I'm the type that likes to plan and be prepared...

Congrats. This was one of my complaints too. Their acceptance is so generic and there is no accompanying information attached to welcome you to the school. Most of the info should be found on their school site, though. 

Edited by JDhopeful2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So according to the acceptance e-mail, I have until May 19th to respond. Can I still provisionally accept while I wait on other schools in Ontario, or at this point in the cycle, are schools only taking firm acceptances? I still see the option to provisionally accept on the OLSAS site, but just looking for some confirmation on if the May 19 date is for a firm acceptance.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Epictetus11 said:

So according to the acceptance e-mail, I have until May 19th to respond. Can I still provisionally accept while I wait on other schools in Ontario, or at this point in the cycle, are schools only taking firm acceptances? I still see the option to provisionally accept on the OLSAS site, but just looking for some confirmation on if the May 19 date is for a firm acceptance.

 

 

You can still provisionally accept unless states otherwise in your letter.

However, I'm pretty sure provisional acceptances become firm sometime in July. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JDhopeful2020 said:

You can still provisionally accept unless states otherwise in your letter.

However, I'm pretty sure provisional acceptances become firm sometime in July. 

Thank you for the response. Yeah, in the letter I don't see them differentiating between provisional and firm. It just says to retain my place in the program, I have to confirm before May 19th. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't checked OLSAS for a while because I assumed I would have received an email informing me of a status change...However, I received an offer of admissions through OLSAS sometime in the last few weeks, without receiving an email from Ottawa U or having my status updated on uOzone.

Is this normal? If not, perhaps it can serve as a reminder to continue checking OLSAS and not to rely exclusively on e-mails or your uOzone status.

Either way, hooray! Looking forward to Sept!

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2017 at 1:24 PM, PerisoreusCanadensis said:

Just admitted via uoZone. Super excited! I'm still waiting on Queen's. However, I'll likely just accept Ottawa's offer as it is my first choice.

cGPA - 3.53

L2 - 3.7

LSAT - 160 (Feb 2017), 154 (Dec 2016)

Good luck all! (Especially you, Pernicious!)

EDIT: I need to respond by May 23.

Hey how did you increase your lsat score from the 154 to 160 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I accepted today... I think? OLSAS' website is absolute garbage. I'm waiting to hear back from Osgoode and Queen's. 

For those of you paying deposits online, which membership number did you select? 6512699 or 11802685?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-05-19 at 3:24 AM, blah said:

Hey how did you increase your lsat score from the 154 to 160 

I was practice testing around 160 prior to my write in December. I just got over anxious on the day of the test for some reason. (I don't have a history of test stress.) Obviously I also studied a lot more in January. Really focussed on understanding the LR. Didn't really study LG. Was averaging around -9 on LG in the lead up to the February test. I kind of just gave up on it after a few weeks of study. Probably dumb in hindsight. But I didn't feel like studying for it and I knew that I could get a 160 by just killing LR and LG even with a subpar games performance...

Edited by PerisoreusCanadensis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.