Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Effect of fourth year grades...? (LSAT 175, cGPA unsure, about 3.75)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rightsoherewego

rightsoherewego
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

I'm just wondering if U of T has a history of rescinding an offer of acceptance if your fourth year grades end up lower than the rest of your undergraduate grades. I've heard that they only take top 3 years, but I'm not doing as well as I wished, down from mid-high 80s average to maybe low 80s or even mid-high 70s.

I referred to my cGPA as unsure because I completed one year at one university and then transferred for the rest of my undergrad so I'm at a loss as to how to calculate it. I also am new to this website and I'm not really clear on what L2 and B3 stats mean. Please explain/ask questions if you want clarification on things I've posted!

#2 Hon

Hon
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 12:31 PM

Last 2 = last two years. B3 = best 3 years. Use the GPA calculator found sticked in the "General" section. with a 175 LSAT and a GPA around what you state, you should be admitted to every Canadian University.

#3 Drizzy9

Drizzy9
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:31 PM

I'm just wondering if U of T has a history of rescinding an offer of acceptance if your fourth year grades end up lower than the rest of your undergraduate grades. I've heard that they only take top 3 years, but I'm not doing as well as I wished, down from mid-high 80s average to maybe low 80s or even mid-high 70s.

I referred to my cGPA as unsure because I completed one year at one university and then transferred for the rest of my undergrad so I'm at a loss as to how to calculate it. I also am new to this website and I'm not really clear on what L2 and B3 stats mean. Please explain/ask questions if you want clarification on things I've posted!

When I was accepted, I received no requirement for maintaining my grades (my fourth year grades were not part of my acceptance though). However, it might be different if you get accepted at a different stage of the cycle. It will likely be a factor imo if they are still deciding whether to admit you (such as in the case of a Waitlist) and are requiring you to submit your 4th year grades.

Did you go to a Canadian university in your first year?

#4 rightsoherewego

rightsoherewego
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:37 PM

When I was accepted, I received no requirement for maintaining my grades (my fourth year grades were not part of my acceptance though). However, it might be different if you get accepted at a different stage of the cycle. It will likely be a factor imo if they are still deciding whether to admit you (such as in the case of a Waitlist) and are requiring you to submit your 4th year grades.

Did you go to a Canadian university in your first year?

Alright good to know. I did go to a Canadian University for both.

#5 Drizzy9

Drizzy9
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:41 PM

Alright good to know. I did go to a Canadian University for both.

So if you did, you can just use the OLSAS calculator to calculate your GPA for your credits at both schools and calculate your CGPA.

#6 rightsoherewego

rightsoherewego
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

So if you did, you can just use the OLSAS calculator to calculate your GPA for your credits at both schools and calculate your CGPA.

So do I convert each credit to a GPA individually and then calculate the cumulative average?

#7 Drizzy9

Drizzy9
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

So do I convert each credit to a GPA individually and then calculate the cumulative average?

To get your CGPA yes (be sure to factor in if some courses are worth than others) and that you apply the column that applies to the respective school for each year.

To calculate your B3, just do your final 3 years etc.

• rightsoherewego likes this

#8 pzabbythesecond

pzabbythesecond
  • Members
  • 542 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 30 November 2016 - 10:05 PM

B3 is not final 3 years, it's your best 3 years. I'm not sure if it has to be years in blocks or if it's the equivalent of 3 years in total credits, but it's not only your final 3 years. It could be, but that'd be mere coincidence.

#9 DenningsSkiTrip

DenningsSkiTrip
  • Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:06 PM

Just like Drizzy when I got in (January) the only condition was that I actually complete my degree, nothing about grades. No idea if they used my 4th year marks or not.

Edited by DenningsSkiTrip, 30 November 2016 - 11:08 PM.

• rightsoherewego likes this