lawofthermodynamics

Accepted at McGill 2017

132 posts in this topic

I have been accepted on March 17th with the condition that I finish my undergraduate degree. 

GPA: 3.82

No LSAT

No french interview (I did my PS in both french and English and I am primarily francophone)

I recently got accepted at UdeM as well. I still don't know if I will refuse or accept McGill's offer, it is a tough decision but I was super excited (still am) to know that I am "McGill material"  :lol:

Congrats !! What program and GPA On 4 or 4.3? Finally what are your pros and cons for both schools?

I have been accepted on March 17th with the condition that I finish my undergraduate degree.

GPA: 3.82

No LSAT

No french interview (I did my PS in both french and English and I am primarily francophone)

I recently got accepted at UdeM as well. I still don't know if I will refuse or accept McGill's offer, it is a tough decision but I was super excited (still am) to know that I am "McGill material" :lol:

Congrats !! What program and GPA On 4 or 4.3? Finally what are your pros and cons for both schools?

Thanks! It's on 4.3.

Honestly, I am leaning towards UdeM at the moment because their teaching style fits better with the way I like to learn and apply things; I am much more interested in practical learning rather than theoretical. Also, since I mainly want to practice in Quebec at first, I feel like UdeM is the right choice as they have the best civil law program and as a result, I will be better prepared for the practice of law. I've heard that McGill students do not really use their Civil Code and that worries me a bit. What attracted me to McGill was their transsystemic program but it looks like they put a lot of emphasis on common law and barely cover civil law (which in retrospect "makes sense" as it is primarily a common law school).

But at the end of the day, the school I choose to attend won't matter 5-10 years from now. What will matter is the kind of lawyer and individual I'll be!  

Your rumours about mcgill are false. We use the civil code quite a bit. Common law and civil law get equal attention in classes. Make your choice, but make sure it's based on correct information.

1 person likes this

Mcgill has a higher bar passage rate. Udm students do know the code inside out.

Both schools place well in Montreal. Essentially, do you want to spend an extra semester to get a common law degree? That should be the largest factor for you.

1 person likes this

Accepted with the condition I finish diploma of college studies

R Score 33.06

No LSAT

Fluent in English, French as mother tongue

PS entirely in French to make it easier to read 

One reference letter in English and one in French

Interviewed Tuesday April 11th, accepted Thursday April 13th

Accepted with the condition I finish diploma of college studies

R Score 33.06

No LSAT

Fluent in English, French as mother tongue

PS entirely in French to make it easier to read

One reference letter in English and one in French

Interviewed Tuesday April 11th, accepted Thursday April 13th

Congratulations !! Can I ask you how long you knew before the interview ? And anything you can tell us about interview!

Congratulations !! Can I ask you how long you knew before the interview ? And anything you can tell us about interview!

Thanks) :)

Thanks  :)

The called me on April 5th and they gave me 3 choices of interview date. They usually call a week prior to your interview : one time I had exams all week at cegep. When they called to schedule an interview I had to refuse, they called back the week after

For the interview itself, as I'm francophone it was 50% French 50% English, I answered in the language the question was asked, but it is possible to answer in the language you want.

It was with two professors of the faculty.

They started by asking a generic question : Describe yourself, why law?

Afterwards, every interview will be different... Since I participated to a mock trial, I answered I like the work of a lawyer and all the work needed to prepare for a trial.

Then they asked me what if I don't go to Court like the majority of lawyers in Quebec? At this moment I talked about the bad reputation of the justice system, especially in Quebec, why Turcotte's case and now the Jordan decision.

We talked about that a little, then one professor asked me what I thought about the importance of public opinion in judges decisions. We also talked about that for a bit.

Towards the end, he asked me why McGill in particular since I applied elsewhere too and asked my if I had any question.

But as I said, your interview can take a whole different path after the question why law ; if you don't answer the same thing as me you won't get the exact same question, they aren't scripted, the professors go with your flow and 'test' you.

Don't hesitate if you want to know anything else :)  

1 person likes this

The called me on April 5th and they gave me 3 choices of interview date. They usually call a week prior to your interview : one time I had exams all week at cegep. When they called to schedule an interview I had to refuse, they called back the week after

For the interview itself, as I'm francophone it was 50% French 50% English, I answered in the language the question was asked, but it is possible to answer in the language you want.

It was with two professors of the faculty.

They started by asking a generic question : Describe yourself, why law?

Afterwards, every interview will be different... Since I participated to a mock trial, I answered I like the work of a lawyer and all the work needed to prepare for a trial.

Then they asked me what if I don't go to Court like the majority of lawyers in Quebec? At this moment I talked about the bad reputation of the justice system, especially in Quebec, why Turcotte's case and now the Jordan decision.

We talked about that a little, then one professor asked me what I thought about the importance of public opinion in judges decisions. We also talked about that for a bit.

Towards the end, he asked me why McGill in particular since I applied elsewhere too and asked my if I had any question.

But as I said, your interview can take a whole different path after the question why law ; if you don't answer the same thing as me you won't get the exact same question, they aren't scripted, the professors go with your flow and 'test' you.

Don't hesitate if you want to know anything else :)

Thank you for sharing !!

Accepted today!

GPA: 3.81/4.00

No LSAT

Had a french phone interview yesterday (Anglophone, fluent in French)

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Tut5922 said:

Accepted today!

GPA: 3.81/4.00

No LSAT

Had a french phone interview yesterday (Anglophone, fluent in French)

Congrats!!! :) 

I was called in late March, my interview was April 6th, and I was accepted on April 10th.

R Score: 36.1

LSAT: none

Personal statement: English and French

They told me to speak in whichever language I was most comfortable in for the interview, so I spoke English (they didn't ask me any questions in French, to my surprise).