Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

$500 Commitment Fee

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 canadiankiwi

canadiankiwi
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:05 PM

Hello,

Can anybody answer whether or not paying the $500 commitment fee to hold my seat affects my applications to other law schools? I have until November 28 to pay the fee and many of the other schools I have applied to don't send out offers until December/January. TRU is definitely a consideration for me (so I don't want to lose the option), but it isn't my top choice and I don't want to negatively impact offers from other schools. 

Thank you!

#2 TKNumber3

TKNumber3
  • Members
  • 2496 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:04 AM

Pretty sure only Ontario has the linked system, other schools don't talk to each other cause it would be a lot of work to do so.

• Draken likes this

#3 MissJE

MissJE
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKamloops/AB

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:02 PM

Technically, TRU has the right to inform other law schools (it's somewhere in the fine print though I can't remember exactly where). However, there is no indication that they have ever done this is the past or plan to in the future.

#4 canadiankiwi

canadiankiwi
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:16 PM

That makes sense - I remembered reading it in fine print somewhere too, which is what had me nervous. Thank you both!

#5 0ekm2

0ekm2
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:22 PM

I don't believe it affects your offers from other schools (that would be pretty shitty if it did). But I've already paid my commitment fee and I've received an offer since then. Really annoying that it was due so early though (mine was due Nov. 22nd). 

• pennyh7 likes this

#6 0ekm2

0ekm2
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

Just wanted to add that I spoke with UVic admissions about this, and they said that if you accept an offer from TRU, it does not impact whether or not you receive an offer from UVic. But they also let me know that if you accept an offer from one Ontario law school, you'll be automatically removed from consideration from other Ontario law schools.