Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Deferral / B3?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 briandild

briandild
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:20 AM

Hi all,

Two questions.

1) If one is applying in their fourth (and, in my case, final) year of undergrad, how is B3 calculated? Since 3 years are "completed", will B3 and cGPA be no different? or will they wait until 4th year marks are sent in feb/april ?

2) I've heard a great deal of hearsay about deferral - "if you ask for it, they'll CERTAINLY let you" etc. How much of this is true? I'm also applying for one-year MA programs (given that this will be the last chance to really do that before the unrelenting lawschool-articling-job to pay off debt train... assuming i'm even lucky enough to have success in all of those!), and was wondering that, if successful in getting into those MA programs, this would be sufficient grounds for a one year deferral.

Thanks.

#2 Draken

Draken
  • Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

I remember calling U of T a few years back on this and being told they will take the B3 from your first three years if you aren't done undergrad yet, but take that with a grain of salt, it was a while ago.

Typically speaking, law schools do not wait for 4th year marks. By the time they are available, most admissions decisions are already made.

Deferral side, many schools do not guarantee it and some will ask for your reason, which usually has to be a good one.

I am currently in a well-regarded/known short-term employment and I know others who have completed it before me were able to get law schools like uOttawa and McGill to allow deferral because the job offered excellent personal development and hard benefits, as well as having a firm end-date. I would think that generally speaking, something like "I just want to work for a year" wouldn't cut it.

Really you should just call admissions and ask what criteria generally fits for them to grant a deferral.

#3 briandild

briandild
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:56 AM

I remember calling U of T a few years back on this and being told they will take the B3 from your first three years if you aren't done undergrad yet,

Wait, so do you mean B2? Saying they take something from your first three seems to suggest they aren't simply the same. Unless I misread you.

#4 Draken

Draken
  • Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:02 PM

No, I mean if you have only completed 3 years of undergrad and are applying in your 4th year, the "best" 3 they take are the 3 years you have completed. They have nothing else to draw from.

Therefore, your B3 and CGPA at that point are the same.

Again, grain of salt, just call them and ask. They don't bite.

Edited by Draken, 16 November 2016 - 12:03 PM.

#5 DenningsSkiTrip

DenningsSkiTrip
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:11 PM

I think the first thing you need to know is that U of T admissions is a black box and despite all the conjecture out there none of us know what actually is going on with the adcoms. But to answer your questions:

1. I think (but really don't know for sure) that they wait for fall marks if they want to see if you sustained the high gpa you had in two of your three years. I also think that the whole B3 thing is what they end up reporting in the end when the class is complete, and that they have an internal method for evaluating your transcript for the students who are still in fourth year when they apply.

2. A lot of people do defer, and deferring to go do a prestigious masters degree before coming to law school is a popular thing to do (lots of people go to Oxford or Cambridge). I am NOT under the impression that this is guaranteed, and if you aren't planning on doing this MA at an elite institution you should consider simply pairing your JD with an MA at U of T, which is available through the dual programs.