Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Questions about dual JD Windsor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 irinlaw

irinlaw
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

Hi guys so I had a few questions about the dual JD program at Windsor. My LSAT and gpa are anything but stellar. I have a 157 LSAT and a 3.3 cgpa and I believe 3.5gpa (OSLAS) in my final two years. I am considering applying to the dual JD program after reading that it is easier to get into as I don't want to take a break year and am also fortunate enough to be able to afford a higher tuition. So my questions are:

1) Is it really easier to get into dual JD? Can I apply to both JD and dual JD? Also, do you think that I'd be able to get in with my stats?

2) How much more expensive is it?

3) Does it take longer to complete a dual JD?

4) Does the program all take place in Windsor or do I have to travel to the other school at some point?

Thank you.

#2 irinlaw

irinlaw
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 29 October 2016 - 04:13 PM

I don't want this post to come off as just applying to dual JD incase I don't get in anywhere else. I am applying to some American law schools as they have peaked my interest. This just seems like a perfect opportunity to not just be able to stay in Canada but also dabble in the US.

#3 ryansmithjones14

ryansmithjones14
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:13 PM

1) I wouldn't say it's "easier" to get into the Dual Program, but they take a more "holistic approach" and place greater emphasis on your personal statement and your experiences then most schools. There's some students who have gotten into the program with similar stats (atleast from my year). 

2) It's a pretty penny, about $17,000 per year http://www.uwindsor....ition-questions.

3) It's 3 years like any other JD Program, however, you have two required courses during the summer after 1st year which eats up two months, so you still have two months off. 

4) You will be back and fourth between both schools. 

#4 JohnP

JohnP
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 December 2016 - 07:53 PM

1) I wouldn't say it's "easier" to get into the Dual Program, but they take a more "holistic approach" and place greater emphasis on your personal statement and your experiences then most schools. There's some students who have gotten into the program with similar stats (atleast from my year). 

2) It's a pretty penny, about $17,000 per year http://www.uwindsor....ition-questions.

3) It's 3 years like any other JD Program, however, you have two required courses during the summer after 1st year which eats up two months, so you still have two months off. 

4) You will be back and fourth between both schools. 

I just want to correct you on the cost. Students in the dual JD program have to pay Windsor's tuition each year, which is $17,693 Cdn, plus Detroit's tuition each year, which is $23,173 USD (approximately $30,800 Cdn as of today). This means your tuition for one year would be $48,493 Cdn for one year, compared with only $17,693 for the single JD program. At the end of three years students in the dual JD program would have paid approximately $145,000 Cdn in total tuition, compared with students in the single JD program who would have paid approximately $53,000 in total tuition. 

• whereverjustice, conge and ryansmithjones14 like this

#5 ryansmithjones14

ryansmithjones14
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

Nice catch! Forgot to include the UDM side. 

I just want to correct you on the cost. Students in the dual JD program have to pay Windsor's tuition each year, which is $17,693 Cdn, plus Detroit's tuition each year, which is $23,173 USD (approximately $30,800 Cdn as of today). This means your tuition for one year would be $48,493 Cdn for one year, compared with only $17,693 for the single JD program. At the end of three years students in the dual JD program would have paid approximately $145,000 Cdn in total tuition, compared with students in the single JD program who would have paid approximately $53,000 in total tuition. 

• JohnP likes this

#6 conge

conge
  • Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:27 AM

$48,493 Cdn for one year! This is more than my entire law school tuition 2009-2012. A lot more!

Are there years you spend entirely at one school? (e.g. Do you spend 1L at Windsor, 2L at UDM, and 3L at both, or is it back and forth between both programs all throughout law school?)

#7 CanadianJD27

CanadianJD27
  • Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:46 AM

Unfortunately it is very expensive, although technically speaking, you get a 'discount' on the UDM side compared to what single JD UDM students pay. There's also tons of financial aid which is nice but it's still extremely expensive. Each year you're required to take courses on both sides, although you can sometimes get away with doing a full semester at just one or the other school, because our required Dual courses satisfies this requirement. 

Edited by CanadianJD27, 05 December 2016 - 07:47 AM.

#8 conge

conge
  • Members
  • 777 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:53 AM

Unfortunately it is very expensive, although technically speaking, you get a 'discount' on the UDM side compared to what single JD UDM students pay. There's also tons of financial aid which is nice but it's still extremely expensive. Each year you're required to take courses on both sides, although you can sometimes get away with doing a full semester at just one or the other school, because our required Dual courses satisfies this requirement. 

Steal of a deal!