Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

Chances? LSAT 168, cGPA 3.51, B3 3.65

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ozilism

ozilism
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

Exec in campus pre-law club, some volunteer hours, case competitions (finalist, but didn't win), worked 2 summers as an administrative assistant in a resort. Are my softs considered below/above average?

Majored in finance from UCalgary.

Thanks in advance! Appreciate any input.

#2 superherojustice

superherojustice
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

Seems below or at average in my personal opinion although I have no idea what adcomms might think.

#3 JohnP

JohnP
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:34 PM

Decent LSAT, but your CGPA is probably too low for UofT. You'll probably get into other schools.

#4 DenningsSkiTrip

DenningsSkiTrip
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:15 PM

I think it's worth an application to see what happens, but I think it's going to be tough. Your GPA is low for U of T and you aren't at a school that is particularly well represented, which does seem to matter as they look at program and undergrad institution (apparently). If you were a U of T undergrad (where grade deflation is rampant) with those stats I'd say your chances would be better.

That being said your LSAT is quite good and your GPA isn't bad. I think like the above poster said you're very competitive for a lot of schools. Best of luck!

#5 ozilism

ozilism
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

Decent LSAT, but your CGPA is probably too low for UofT. You'll probably get into other schools.

I think it's worth an application to see what happens, but I think it's going to be tough. Your GPA is low for U of T and you aren't at a school that is particularly well represented, which does seem to matter as they look at program and undergrad institution (apparently). If you were a U of T undergrad (where grade deflation is rampant) with those stats I'd say your chances would be better.

That being said your LSAT is quite good and your GPA isn't bad. I think like the above poster said you're very competitive for a lot of schools. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice guys! Out of curiosity, do you think a 170 would have a significant impact? i.e. Will having an LSAT above UofT's 75% percentile compensate for a GPA below UofT's 25th percentile?

I won't be too bothered if I can't get into UofT, but I would just like to know how close I really am.

#6 pzabbythesecond

pzabbythesecond
  • Members
  • 480 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

It's not like the States where the schools care about medians and quartiles, where being above the third quartile Stat in one category makes up for being below the first quartile Stat for another. Surely it'll help if you get a 170 plus, but it's not like it doubles your chances. I mean, it might, but we have no way of telling you - outside of Ryn's calculator.

#7 DenningsSkiTrip

DenningsSkiTrip
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:07 PM

I don't think a 170 would make much of a difference either. In the US schools want as high a median LSAT as they can get to stay high on the rankings, but that isn't really an issue for Canadian schools as the whole structure is different here.

How close are you really? I'd say you're close enough that you should apply because I wouldn't be surprised if you got in.

#8 JohnP

JohnP
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:07 AM

I would definitely apply. Your GPA maybe lower than the average that UofT usually accepts, but that doesn't mean you won't get in. I had a friend with a 171 LSAT and a high GPA that was accepted at UofT and rejected by Windsor. You can never predict what an admissions committee will do. I just wouldn't bank on getting into UofT and I would make sure you apply to other schools. Western weights the LSAT more highly than the GPA, so your chances there are excellent.