ozilism

Chances? LSAT 168, cGPA 3.51, B3 3.65

ozilism    2

Exec in campus pre-law club, some volunteer hours, case competitions (finalist, but didn't win), worked 2 summers as an administrative assistant in a resort. Are my softs considered below/above average?

Majored in finance from UCalgary.

Thanks in advance! Appreciate any input.

JohnP    53

Decent LSAT, but your CGPA is probably too low for UofT. You'll probably get into other schools.

I think it's worth an application to see what happens, but I think it's going to be tough. Your GPA is low for U of T and you aren't at a school that is particularly well represented, which does seem to matter as they look at program and undergrad institution (apparently). If you were a U of T undergrad (where grade deflation is rampant) with those stats I'd say your chances would be better.

That being said your LSAT is quite good and your GPA isn't bad. I think like the above poster said you're very competitive for a lot of schools. Best of luck!

ozilism    2

Decent LSAT, but your CGPA is probably too low for UofT. You'll probably get into other schools.

I think it's worth an application to see what happens, but I think it's going to be tough. Your GPA is low for U of T and you aren't at a school that is particularly well represented, which does seem to matter as they look at program and undergrad institution (apparently). If you were a U of T undergrad (where grade deflation is rampant) with those stats I'd say your chances would be better.

That being said your LSAT is quite good and your GPA isn't bad. I think like the above poster said you're very competitive for a lot of schools. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice guys! Out of curiosity, do you think a 170 would have a significant impact? i.e. Will having an LSAT above UofT's 75% percentile compensate for a GPA below UofT's 25th percentile?

I won't be too bothered if I can't get into UofT, but I would just like to know how close I really am.

It's not like the States where the schools care about medians and quartiles, where being above the third quartile Stat in one category makes up for being below the first quartile Stat for another. Surely it'll help if you get a 170 plus, but it's not like it doubles your chances. I mean, it might, but we have no way of telling you - outside of Ryn's calculator.

I don't think a 170 would make much of a difference either. In the US schools want as high a median LSAT as they can get to stay high on the rankings, but that isn't really an issue for Canadian schools as the whole structure is different here.

How close are you really? I'd say you're close enough that you should apply because I wouldn't be surprised if you got in.

JohnP    53

I would definitely apply. Your GPA maybe lower than the average that UofT usually accepts, but that doesn't mean you won't get in. I had a friend with a 171 LSAT and a high GPA that was accepted at UofT and rejected by Windsor. You can never predict what an admissions committee will do. I just wouldn't bank on getting into UofT and I would make sure you apply to other schools. Western weights the LSAT more highly than the GPA, so your chances there are excellent.

KingMaker10    12

Judging from the stats being admitted so far this cycle, I say you stand a good chance of getting in. Contingent on the quality of your PS... as UofT appears to take it fairly seriously.

piglet2017    0

Hey,

Looking for some opinions on my chances:

4th year of a 5 year degree program at U of T 

Double major in Chemistry and Political Science

Interest in intellectual property/science policy

CGPA - 3.62 (B3 probably ~3.7-3.8)

LSAT- not yet written 

EC's - clubs president, charity event organizer, student mentor, research student in 3 laboratories (2 in Canada, 1 in Europe with national scholarships), undergraduate thesis project in chemistry, undergraduate thesis project in political science (connected with my anticipated career direction after law). 

Draken    136

Hey,

Looking for some opinions on my chances:

4th year of a 5 year degree program at U of T 

Double major in Chemistry and Political Science

Interest in intellectual property/science policy

CGPA - 3.62 (B3 probably ~3.7-3.8)

LSAT- not yet written 

EC's - clubs president, charity event organizer, student mentor, research student in 3 laboratories (2 in Canada, 1 in Europe with national scholarships), undergraduate thesis project in chemistry, undergraduate thesis project in political science (connected with my anticipated career direction after law). 

Write your LSAT, any prediction is virtually useless without a score, especially for U of T where having a high B3 doesn't necessarily offset a weak LSAT.

None of the other stuff really matters that much, insofar as if you don't write about it in the PS, they don't see it. U of T is 1/3 GPA, 1/3 LSAT, 1/3 Personal Statement (roughly)

Can anyone talk to me about my chances at Toronto?

cGPA like ~3.3
L3: 3.7

B2: 3.8

LSAT: 166

Toronto's only "access" categories are indigenous and mature, but I did write the optional essay about being from a disadvantaged group, and also having an unidentified learning disability that explains the low cGPA.

I have a good PS, good references, but only a few ECs.

I've been accepted to Windsor and Western but in all honesty Toronto is my number one choice and I have no clue what my chances are.

If U of T is perfectly honest in saying they look at your B3 as weighted as they imply they do, then i'd say you have a solid chance of getting in - especially this year where (disclaimer) from an eye test of the accepted thread, their admissions seem to have lowered a bit - especially wrt the lsat.

I think my stats make me a very average candidate. Im just extremely nervous because I know they're almost done if not already done their second wave of acceptances. How do they roll out acceptances exactly? A third of the seats at each wave? Or is it random? Does anyone truly know? 

KingMaker10    12

Not sure if this will provide any comfort, but I am in a similar situation as you (slightly higher gpa with a 165 LSAT), and I contacted UofT the other day about an issue regarding my fall 2016 transcripts and if it would put me out of the running for the second wave. From their response it sounded like they already completed the second wave, with a 150ish total acceptances given out so far but that I would be considered in the final wave mid March.

Looks like they haven't given out as many acceptances as they normally do in the first couple waves, probably because of the apparently lower than usual LSAT scores available to choose from...as Pzabbythesecond already mentioned. Looks like they're holding out to see if there's a dramatic improvement in the February scores and have thus left a bigger part of their seats unfilled. Could be wrong though. Just speculating based off a simple 5 sentence email they sent me haha.

That being said, their tumblr account states that the second wave will consist of small groups of acceptances being doled out over the course of the next two weeks. It really is anybody's guess.

As for your chances, I think (and hope for my sake) that you have a good chance of being accepted. Baring a random spike in LSAT scores coming from the February write.

mondayitis    9

Hello! I would also like to know my chances,

My cumulative GPA is a 3.35 with a very strong upward trend, currently finishing fourth year in an honours science degree at Queen's.

My last two years GPA 3.82 (expected to be higher with fourth year fourth semester marks)

I am writing the LSAT this saturday as I had to cancel my December LSAT to attend a funeral, but my practice scores are consistently around 165, if i achieve around a 165 on the LSAT this saturday what do you think my chances of getting in are?

I also wrote the optional essay explaining my low cGPA as I had 4 (can you believe it?) unidentified illnesses that severely hindered my academic performance in my first two years of school, with emphasis on winter terms. I have pretty good softs (model court member, involved heavily in athletics, charity coordinator etc.) and a letter of recommendation from a chief judge of a provincial court, as well as excellent references from two of my professors. 

Should I get my hopes up? or nah. I did of course apply to other schools, and am not banking on UofT at all.

Shadowh77    24

Hello! I would also like to know my chances,

My cumulative GPA is a 3.35 with a very strong upward trend, currently finishing fourth year in an honours science degree at Queen's.

My last two years GPA 3.82 (expected to be higher with fourth year fourth semester marks)

I am writing the LSAT this saturday as I had to cancel my December LSAT to attend a funeral, but my practice scores are consistently around 165, if i achieve around a 165 on the LSAT this saturday what do you think my chances of getting in are?

I also wrote the optional essay explaining my low cGPA as I had 4 (can you believe it?) unidentified illnesses that severely hindered my academic performance in my first two years of school, with emphasis on winter terms. I have pretty good softs (model court member, involved heavily in athletics, charity coordinator etc.) and a letter of recommendation from a chief judge of a provincial court, as well as excellent references from two of my professors. 

Should I get my hopes up? or nah. I did of course apply to other schools, and am not banking on UofT at all.

Three issues. Firstly, UofT looks at best 3, not your cGPA or L2. Secondly, you need an LSAT score. Thirdly, UofT doesn't look at letters of reference. Post again with your B3 and LSAT score (when you have it) for an accurate prediction.

• Like 1