Vancookie

Weak GPA and no ECs but 174 lsat. Should i apply?

My cGPA is 77.7% (3.3?) B3 82% (3.7?). I have no idea if i did the gpa conversions correctly since my school gives percentage marks for each course. Took the lsat twice, 160 when I took it almost 2 years ago and 174 sept 2016. I don't think any of my ECs are worth mentioning. Should I apply to u of t? Application fee is going to be $290 so i don't wanna apply unless I know I have a good chance of getting an offer.

You clearly don't even know what your GPA is calculated at; start with that and then come back.

Guessing with "?" doesn't help.

You clearly don't even know what your GPA is calculated at; start with that and then come back.

Guessing with "?" doesn't help.

I calculated that based on the olsas conversion chart. Just not sure if i had to convert individual courses and then average the gpa or average the % first then convert.

I calculated that based on the olsas conversion chart. Just not sure if i had to convert individual courses and then average the gpa or average the % first then convert.

You need to convert each individual course separately.

My cGPA is 77.7% (3.3?) B3 82% (3.7?). I have no idea if i did the gpa conversions correctly since my school gives percentage marks for each course. Took the lsat twice, 160 when I took it almost 2 years ago and 174 sept 2016. I don't think any of my ECs are worth mentioning. Should I apply to u of t? Application fee is going to be $290 so i don't wanna apply unless I know I have a good chance of getting an offer.

I think your chances are pretty good.

• Like 1

I don't know that I'd agree that your chances are "pretty good" at U of T, but I think it's worth applying. There are definitely people at U of T right now who had undergrad GPAs just over 3.0 and LSATs in the high 170s, so you have a shot.

I will say though that 174ish LSATs are a lot more common at U of T than the LSATs in the 178-180 range. So while I would still apply if I was you, I wouldn't put all my eggs in the U of T basket, and would still apply broadly to other schools. Best of luck!

• Like 1

I don't know that I'd agree that your chances are "pretty good" at U of T, but I think it's worth applying. There are definitely people at U of T right now who had undergrad GPAs just over 3.0 and LSATs in the high 170s, so you have a shot.

I will say though that 174ish LSATs are a lot more common at U of T than the LSATs in the 178-180 range. So while I would still apply if I was you, I wouldn't put all my eggs in the U of T basket, and would still apply broadly to other schools. Best of luck!

Hey DenningsSkiTrip, would you happen to know if the GPA you're referring to is based on B3 years or the cGPA? I would assume it's the latter, but do you personally know of cases where folks with a B3 average of just over 3.0 have been accepted too?

Hey DenningsSkiTrip, would you happen to know if the GPA you're referring to is based on B3 years or the cGPA? I would assume it's the latter, but do you personally know of cases where folks with a B3 average of just over 3.0 have been accepted too?

My B3 and LSAT were worse than yours and I was accepted in December. I think DST is overselling U of T quite a bit. The medians are only ~3.8 and 166.

• Like 4

So sorry OP, I misread your post and thought your B3 was just over 3.0, not 3.7. To clarify I think a 3.7 B3 and a 174 make you very competitive. My mistake, and sorry for any confusion.

And yes, I personally know of cases of B3 GPAs of just over 3.0 (3.0-3.2) and LSATs over 175 where the applicant gained admission.

Edited by DenningsSkiTrip
  • Like 1

I think DST is overselling U of T quite a bit. The medians are only ~3.8 and 166.

Oh wow I just read OPs stats again and got them wrong, my mistake Eeee (and OP) I thought OP had a B3 just over 3.0, not 3.7.

Yes, OP with a B3 of 3.7 and a 174 your chances at U of T are very good. You should absolutely apply, and like Eee said your chances are very good.

Edited by DenningsSkiTrip

Yes, you should apply. Though, with a 174 LSAT, I'm surprised that you hadn't already determined this yourself.

Thanks guys! Your replies gave me a lot more confidence in my application. I'll be applying this week. Good luck with all your applications too!

Yes, you should apply. Though, with a 174 LSAT, I'm surprised that you hadn't already determined this yourself.

I saw in the waitlist thread that someone with a 172 lsat and a 3.71 gpa was waitlisted last year. Considering this year would probably be a little more competitive than last year, I thought my chances might be pretty slim. UofT has a holistic review process and I have 0 ECs. I was also worried about my low lsat score for my first take. I've decided to give it a shot after seeing the replies here :)

I saw in the waitlist thread that someone with a 172 lsat and a 3.71 gpa was waitlisted last year. Considering this year would probably be a little more competitive than last year, I thought my chances might be pretty slim. UofT has a holistic review process and I have 0 ECs. I was also worried about my low lsat score for my first take. I've decided to give it a shot after seeing the replies here :)

The fact that you should apply does not mean that you will be accepted, but since your stats are good enough for it to be possible, the only way to find out is to apply.

If you want to frame the question as, "Should I apply, if I only want to apply places I am 100% certain I will be admitted?" then the answer might be, you should not apply anywhere.

Edited by Pyke

I had a 3.3 and 173 and got into U of T law last year. Youre fine. Actually im probably an outlier but i think you have a good enough shot to justify the application. 

Edited by jswagbo
  • Like 1