Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

chances at UofT law and should i retake? [3.65, 3.8, 165]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xovanessa

xovanessa
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:52 PM

my best 3 GPA is a 3.8 (using OLSAS conversion) 

cGPA is a 3.65 

I know that uoft looks at B3 though..

and my LSAT is 165

Should i retake the lsat in Dec? 

#2 DenningsSkiTrip

DenningsSkiTrip
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:18 PM

I'd say you're in the pool of competitive applicants with those numbers. Rewriting probably won't hurt, at the same time a 170 won't guarantee you admission, and a lower score could (potentially) hurt your chances.

I suspect (from being here and knowing people) that the admissions process is more holistic than people think. They do a really good job of getting a lot of people in who have really interesting backgrounds. I think there is a fairly substantial pool of people with competitive numbers, and not all get in, it's not a simple index process like some other places, despite what some think about the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 thing.

So if you want to rewrite you can, but I think it might be a bit of a risk. You're numbers are sufficient to gain entry, and a higher score could help you. The flip side is that a lower score might hurt you, and if the adcoms like what you bring to the table a higher score might not matter either way.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

#3 xovanessa

xovanessa
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

I'd say you're in the pool of competitive applicants with those numbers. Rewriting probably won't hurt, at the same time a 170 won't guarantee you admission, and a lower score could (potentially) hurt your chances.

I suspect (from being here and knowing people) that the admissions process is more holistic than people think. They do a really good job of getting a lot of people in who have really interesting backgrounds. I think there is a fairly substantial pool of people with competitive numbers, and not all get in, it's not a simple index process like some other places, despite what some think about the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 thing.

So if you want to rewrite you can, but I think it might be a bit of a risk. You're numbers are sufficient to gain entry, and a higher score could help you. The flip side is that a lower score might hurt you, and if the adcoms like what you bring to the table a higher score might not matter either way.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

I'm pretty good at gauging how I did when writing a test, so I think what I would do if I felt I did worse would be to cancel my score. Would a cancel also have a negative impact?

#4 DenningsSkiTrip

DenningsSkiTrip
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

I'm pretty good at gauging how I did when writing a test, so I think what I would do if I felt I did worse would be to cancel my score. Would a cancel also have a negative impact?

Im not sure if they can see cancelled scores. Keep in mind that while they can see all scores they say they place emphasis on the highest one.

If you were PTing in the 170s maybe rewriting isn't such a bad idea, as I think a higher score may help.