natasharose

Entrance Scholarship Application Form

Hi all,

This is a question for anyone who will be applying, or has applied, to the scholarships requiring application.

I cannot find any instructions for submitting the scholarship application form- can it be emailed with all supporting documentation attached, and if so, to what email address? Alternatively, does it need to be printed out and mailed in? And does the additional reference letter need to be confidential (like the reference letters for admission) or can it be submitted alongside everything else? I emailed this question to [email protected] but never got a response :(

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi, 

I'm trying to figure out how to submit it as well. I emailed the admissions office, and expect to receive a response later this week. Did you ever hear back from them about the submission process?

Hi, 

I'm trying to figure out how to submit it as well. I emailed the admissions office, and expect to receive a response later this week. Did you ever hear back from them about the submission process?

Hi, yes I did! They are very friendly people- it must be that east coast hospitality I hear such wonderful things about. I had a few more questions after this one so I'll just summarize everything I learned about the scholarship application process during my correspondence with them: 

-The scholarship form and additional documents, including the reference letter, can be emailed to [email protected] or mailed (Schulich School of Law, 6061 University Avenue PO Box 15000 Halifax NS B3H 4R2) before November 30th. I emailed them with all documents attached as PDF files and they replied the next day to confirm that they had received them.

-They prefer that all references, including the reference for scholarships, complete the Appendix A form. However, they will accept letters of reference that is the preference of the referee.

-The scholarship reference does not need to be academic, but other than that, it follows the same submission guidelines as the admissions reference letters (i.e. must me emailed from the referee's academic/professional email address)

-If you're filling out the financial form: where it is hard to know future savings, the committee would use information based off of summer 2016

-Scholarships can typically be deferred for one year (which I asked since I am applying to one of the dual programs)

Hope that helps- good luck!

Hey guys, while we are on this topic I think I am missing something with the entrance scholarships. Any idea if you have to apply to these or if they are automatically awarded on merit?

Hey guys, while we are on this topic I think I am missing something with the entrance scholarships. Any idea if you have to apply to these or if they are automatically awarded on merit?

You are automatically considered for some scholarships (the "Pure" scholarships) so long as your application and reference letters are received before November 30th. But there are five additional scholarships that you need to apply for by filling out a scholarship application form and submitting an additional reference letter. They are based on a variety of things including academic merit, history of community involvement, financial need, interest in public policy, and my personal favourite, being the first generation in your family to attend university. You have to submit additional documents depending on which ones you are applying for, which also need to be submitted by November 30th.

Hope this helps :)

Scholarship information page:

https://www.dal.ca/faculty/law/programs/jd-admissions/money-matters/scholarships.html

Scholarship application form:

https://www.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/pdf/admissions/Admissions%20scholarship%20ap%201516.pdf

• Like 1

You are automatically considered for some scholarships (the "Pure" scholarships) so long as your application and reference letters are received before November 30th. But there are five additional scholarships that you need to apply for by filling out a scholarship application form and submitting an additional reference letter. They are based on a variety of things including academic merit, history of community involvement, financial need, interest in public policy, and my personal favourite, being the first generation in your family to attend university. You have to submit additional documents depending on which ones you are applying for, which also need to be submitted by November 30th.

Scholarship information page:

https://www.dal.ca/faculty/law/programs/jd-admissions/money-matters/scholarships.html

Scholarship application form:

https://www.dal.ca/content/dam/dalhousie/pdf/admissions/Admissions%20scholarship%20ap%201516.pdf

Thanks! This is very helpful. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone! First off - thanks for all the helpful information! Second - where it says "Please submit a letter highlighting your involvement in extracurricular and community activities that meet the criteria of this scholarship", should this be in point form? Or in actual letter format? And I might be crazy, but I can't see anything about a reference for scholarships. Is this only for specific scholarships? Or do they all require a reference? 

Hi everyone! First off - thanks for all the helpful information! Second - where it says "Please submit a letter highlighting your involvement in extracurricular and community activities that meet the criteria of this scholarship", should this be in point form? Or in actual letter format? And I might be crazy, but I can't see anything about a reference for scholarships. Is this only for specific scholarships? Or do they all require a reference? 

I wrote mine as a letter divided into small paragraphs, with each paragraph giving the title, duration, and explanation of each extracurricular/community activity that I was involved with. Then on a second page I did a point form list of the names and contact information of individuals who could verify each activity, in the same order I wrote about them in the letter. I have no idea if this was the right way to do it- but in lieu of any clear formatting instructions, I can't imagine it really matters THAT much what format it follows, as long as you get the important information across! 

As for the reference- if you look at the scholarship application form PDF, found here, it says: "Please supply the Admissions Committee of the Schulich School of Law with one additional reference letter addressing your qualifications which will support all scholarships." So it's one letter to cover all five scholarships requiring application (or however many of the five you are applying to), and the reference doesn't need to be academic, which should make it a bit easier to find someone to ask.

For clarity's sake: as long as you get your application to the JD program submitted by Nov 30th, you will automatically be considered for most of the "Pure" scholarships without having to submit any additional documents. This thread is just about the five additional scholarships that do require you to submit additional documents (see links I posted above). 

Yes! Thank you so much, it definitely helped. My application is complete, so I'm just working on the additional scholarships :)

Good luck to everyone applying! I hope you all get it!