Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

LOR's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 princess93

princess93
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hi, I am currently gathering LOR's and I was wondering if anyone got in with a letter from an instructor? She knows me very well and I got an A- in the class. Will this hurt my application if it's not a professor? Note: the instructor is from UofT and has PhD. Thanks!

#2 Plinko

Plinko
  • Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:21 AM

Hi, I am currently gathering LOR's and I was wondering if anyone got in with a letter from an instructor? She knows me very well and I got an A- in the class. Will this hurt my application if it's not a professor? Note: the instructor is from UofT and has PhD. Thanks!

It's been a few years since I applied but I think as long as it's academic (in this case, it would be) then you should be fine. Especially if she can speak to your personality it would be far better than a prof who doesn't know you and would write you a generic LOR. Just check the eligibility for the LORs and you should be good.

#3 thegoodlife

thegoodlife
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

I had my German instructor (contract academic staff, PhD) write me an academic reference and I got in with that. She knew me very well since I had taken several small sized classes with her and received good grades in all of them. As Plinko said, it is more important that you receive a personalized LOR rather than a generic one from a well-known figure.

#4 tyrion

tyrion
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

LORs are just a check mark in the application review unless the LOR speaks badly of you or the LOR is by an exceptional person (the same school's dean for example). For most people, it should just be a checkmark. Instructor should be fine as long as you were graded academically.

#5 whoknows

whoknows
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:31 PM

I used a person who held a high up position at my school, but hadn't taught me at all, and I'm almost certain my LOR's helped me. I think you'll be fine with an instructor so long as they know you and will speak highly of you. 

#6 princess93

princess93
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

Thank you everyone!