Ryn

UBC GPA Calculator and Chances Predictor

21 posts in this topic

Hey UBCers! I didn't want you all to feel left out over there on the west coast, so in the spirit of my Ontario GPA and prediction app I made one for UBC as well.

Predictor

I was curious to see the validity of the index formula, and while I didn't really answer that question (though I intend to), I took the admissions data posted on this forum from the last few years and created a model similar to the one I made for Ontario schools. The model accurately predicted nearly 95% of past admissions data, so I'm pretty confident in it. It's also statistically significant (p <= 0.01), so the results should be meaningful.

The prediction also spits out your index score as per the formula on this site. I haven't gone ahead and tried to generate a new one or validate the old one — I will get on that at some point.

GPA Calculator

Since the rules for UBC can be a bit complicated, I took them and made a cGPA calculator. You enter your individual grades from each course, as well as the credit hours, and it generates your cumulative GPA along with one that drops the appropriate number of credits. I think it works, but since UBC's rules aren't super obvious, it may not be 100%. In any event, the purpose is to ballpark your GPA and not to give you the exact same one admissions will use to decide your file.

It considers:

• Which year of undergrad you're in (third year students and people who completed a three year degree get fewer drops than four year degree holders)
  • Whether your school gives out minus grades (when converting letter grades to percents, if your school doesn't give out minus grades, you get the lowest percent for the range; that is, at UBC an A- is 80 and if your school doesn't use minus grades, you will get 80 for an A — at least, this is my understanding)
  • How many credits is considered a typical semester course — this is used in the drop calculation.

If it's inaccurate or if any of the above assumptions are incorrect, please let me know.

Check it out:

Calculate your UBC GPA

Predict your chances

7 people like this

thanks Ryn! Applying for 2017 and really appreciate it

2 people like this

Overall this is absolutely great; something you may need to correct is the GPA calculator. I keep getting different results, but not really sure why.

Does the year you put in have any bearing on the drops in your calculation?

I called UBC a few days ago and got a pretty clear explanation on drops.

They said that they will drop your worst 12 credits (4 "normal" 1-semester courses) if either:

a) you have completed a 4-year degree

b) you are in year 3 and will complete your degree by the time you enter law school.

They will eliminate your worst 6 credits if:

You have completed a 3 year degree, and are not pursuing a 4th year.

And everyone else gets no credits dropped.

I have not verified the accuracy of this with any real research, but seems consistent with the info on their site.

Edited by randominternetperson
1 person likes this

Overall this is absolutely great; something you may need to correct is the GPA calculator. I keep getting different results, but not really sure why.

Does the year you put in have any bearing on the drops in your calculation?

I called UBC a few days ago and got a pretty clear explanation on drops.

They said that they will drop your worst 12 credits (4 "normal" 1-semester courses) if either:

a) you have completed a 4-year degree

b) you are in year 3 and will complete your degree by the time you enter law school.

They will eliminate your worst 6 credits if:

You have completed a 3 year degree, and are not pursuing a 4th year.

And everyone else gets no credits dropped.

I have not verified the accuracy of this with any real research, but seems consistent with the info on their site.

These are the rules I am applying as far as I know. I will double check the calculator and see if it is indeed the case.

1 person likes this

Okay I checked and it looks like I was only dropping 6 credits if you indicated you were in third year of a four year degree. I have changed it to drop 12 credits in that case. Let me know if it works better. Thanks for your help :)

Edit to answer the question about whether the year matters in the drop calculation: No. It's only used in giving you your year averages.

Edited by Ryn
1 person likes this

This seems a little redundant as there is a formula to determine your chances with regards to admissions at UBC

Is there? My understanding is while the index score formula exists, the thresholds for admission that people talk about are mainly ballparked based on observations.

1 person likes this

Is there? My understanding is while the index score formula exists, the thresholds for admission that people talk about are mainly ballparked based on observations.

I'm not sure that ballparked is a fair term to use. There has been a minimum cut-off that has held strong for years, and the variation doesn't seem to change much more than .1 or .2. (I.e it is fairly consistent between cycles). 

You note that it is your belief that while the formula exists, it is based mainly on observations...that makes me wonder, what is your admissions calculator based on? I would imagine that it is based on an unofficial formula and observations? 

I'm not sure that ballparked is a fair term to use. There has been a minimum cut-off that has held strong for years, and the variation doesn't seem to change much more than .1 or .2. (I.e it is fairly consistent between cycles). 

You note that it is your belief that while the formula exists, it is based mainly on observations...that makes me wonder, what is your admissions calculator based on? I would imagine that it is based on an unofficial formula and observations? 

I used "ballparked" because — and I imagine this would also answer your second question — my predictions model uses a statistically significant equation gleaned from entering the accepted/rejected data from several years, as posted in this forum. I was not aware of something similar happening to the index formula cutoffs; rather, observations were made as to where the limits appeared to be but nothing mathematical was ever created.

In any event I'm not trying to compete with anything already existing. I was asked by several people if I was interested in expanding the scope of my predictions app and I decided UBC would be the next school I looked at. If the index formula cutoffs were obtained through similar methods as my own, then I guess my predictions app isn't very useful and, as you say, quite redundant. But I didn't think that was the case. I'm open to being wrong of course.

3 people like this

Hey UBCers! I didn't want you all to feel left out over there on the west coast, so in the spirit of my Ontario GPA and prediction app I made one for UBC as well.

Predictor

I was curious to see the validity of the index formula, and while I didn't really answer that question (though I intend to), I took the admissions data posted on this forum from the last few years and created a model similar to the one I made for Ontario schools. The model accurately predicted nearly 95% of past admissions data, so I'm pretty confident in it. It's also statistically significant (p <= 0.01), so the results should be meaningful.

The prediction also spits out your index score as per the formula on this site. I haven't gone ahead and tried to generate a new one or validate the old one — I will get on that at some point.

GPA Calculator

Since the rules for UBC can be a bit complicated, I took them and made a cGPA calculator. You enter your individual grades from each course, as well as the credit hours, and it generates your cumulative GPA along with one that drops the appropriate number of credits. I think it works, but since UBC's rules aren't super obvious, it may not be 100%. In any event, the purpose is to ballpark your GPA and not to give you the exact same one admissions will use to decide your file.

It considers:

• Which year of undergrad you're in (third year students and people who completed a three year degree get fewer drops than four year degree holders)
  • Whether your school gives out minus grades (when converting letter grades to percents, if your school doesn't give out minus grades, you get the lowest percent for the range; that is, at UBC an A- is 80 and if your school doesn't use minus grades, you will get 80 for an A — at least, this is my understanding)
  • How many credits is considered a typical semester course — this is used in the drop calculation.

If it's inaccurate or if any of the above assumptions are incorrect, please let me know.

Check it out:

Calculate your UBC GPA

Predict your chances

This is amazing. May we pin this?

1 person likes this

This tool calculated my gpa a whole % lower than UBC. I did have a somewhat complex drop situation but something to keep in mind

Before I came across this thread, I made my own spreadsheet to convert my GPA from UVic and I came up with a 3.73/4.33 (86%)

However, I then used the GPA calculation tool (thanks for posting, by the way) and my average came out much lower...

Can anyone have a quick look at my spreadsheet and see if I made an error in my personal calculation?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bNysveLY0JSwKr75tOBoC9jVcnmUSqG9AWyMlg4YlIE/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!

Before I came across this thread, I made my own spreadsheet to convert my GPA from UVic and I came up with a 3.73/4.33 (86%)

However, I then used the GPA calculation tool (thanks for posting, by the way) and my average came out much lower...

Can anyone have a quick look at my spreadsheet and see if I made an error in my personal calculation?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bNysveLY0JSwKr75tOBoC9jVcnmUSqG9AWyMlg4YlIE/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance!

It looks as though you calculated correctly, I calculated 3.74 if you round up, but unfortunately at UBC a 3.73 converts to a much lower percentage. According to UBC's conversion scale a 3.73 is only about 80.5%. I'm not entirely sure where you got 86% from to start though? As well, you appear to be missing % grades for many of your classes, perhaps if you can tell me where and why that is I can be more helpful?

http://students.arts.ubc.ca/advising/academic-performance/gpa-equivalency/

1 person likes this

Unless they've changed things from last year, As are counted as 86 percent on the UBC scale, if that helps any confusion.

It looks as though you calculated correctly, I calculated 3.74 if you round up, but unfortunately at UBC a 3.73 converts to a much lower percentage. According to UBC's conversion scale a 3.73 is only about 80.5%. I'm not entirely sure where you got 86% from to start though? As well, you appear to be missing % grades for many of your classes, perhaps if you can tell me where and why that is I can be more helpful?

http://students.arts.ubc.ca/advising/academic-performance/gpa-equivalency/

I got 86% by dividing 3.73 by 4.33 but you're right... it doesn't work like that. So I guess I am sitting at an 80.5%. Thanks for pointing that out.

As for the missing grades, UVic only started providing an actual % grade as of Sept 2014. So for all letter grades before then, I took the lowest possible % and used that for the grade point.

Thanks again -- it's nice to know where I am sitting GPA-wise so I have more motivation for the LSAT  :prayer:

Hi everyone, I'm a little hesitant to trust this calculator as my CGPA goes from a 79.73 without drops to an 85.83 with drops. From my understanding, an 86 is an A and the average I calculated with drops is certainly below an A (around a 3.7/A- on a standard scale), even when factoring in the A+'s that I have. Is there a reason for this discrepancy? I'd hate to put too much stock into this measure if it is indeed overestimating my average, however it seems that for most people it tends to underestimate. Thoughts?

Also, with my grades being around a 3.7 (absolute lowest estimate) and a 167 LSAT do you think I should bother retaking the LSAT to improve my admission chances?

Thanks! 

Hi everyone, I'm a little hesitant to trust this calculator as my CGPA goes from a 79.73 without drops to an 85.83 with drops. From my understanding, an 86 is an A and the average I calculated with drops is certainly below an A (around a 3.7/A- on a standard scale), even when factoring in the A+'s that I have. Is there a reason for this discrepancy? I'd hate to put too much stock into this measure if it is indeed overestimating my average, however it seems that for most people it tends to underestimate. Thoughts?

Also, with my grades being around a 3.7 (absolute lowest estimate) and a 167 LSAT do you think I should bother retaking the LSAT to improve my admission chances?

Thanks! 

Just saw this now! Sorry for the late reply —

The drops calculation works based on the number of credits a one semester course is typically worth at your school. Specifically, I used the information on this page as quoted below:

When calculating your GPA, we consider all completed courses leading to your first undergraduate degree. However, we do exclude 12 of your worst credits if you have a four-year degree. Generally, this is the equivalent of four semester-long courses, or two year-long courses. If you are in your third year when you apply, we will exclude 6 of your worst credits. Please note that if you are currently enrolled in your final year, those final-year courses will not be included in the calculation of your GPA.

(emphasis added)

Since not every school issues 3 credits for a single term course (my undergrad school, for example, issued 0.5 credits for a single term course), the calculator asks how much a single term course is typically worth at your school and then extrapolates from there. What it does is drop the equivalent of four semesters' worth of courses (or a combination of year-long courses and semester-length courses) that add up to the equivalent of UBC's 12 credits (in my example with my school, it would drop 2.0 credits). If you are in third year then it will do the equivalent of 6 instead of 12.

While this is a reasonable assumption of how the drops system works at UBC, it's an estimate because it's impossible to know exactly what formula UBC uses. I imagine there would be a discrepancy between the actual figure given by UBC and the calculator's results, but I can't imagine it being very wrong unless I fundamentally misunderstood how the drops calculation is to work (I am open to this sort of evidence, naturally).

I actually have received no feedback as to the calculator's accuracy but would definitely appreciate some. Others have verified the accuracy of my OLSAS GPA calculator so I know that works, but the UBC one is functioning properly only in theory.

Hi Ryn, thanks so much for your work!

I am just wondering are you sure that if a university doesn't use minus letter grades than UBC will convert A to 80%? I didn't see any words indicating this on ubc's website. 

And I am in the 4th year of a 5-year program, how many credits they will drop? 

Thank you!