Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

odds of getting in! [2.4, 170]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 masiullah

masiullah
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

So I have a low GPA from U of T roughly speaking I am talking 2.4. However, I took sometime off and wrote the LSAT in February 2016 and got a very good mark 170 (though from my practice exams I expected a 167). What do you think are my chances of getting in? I mean should I even bother to apply to law schools with that GPA.

#2 kilnsgly

kilnsgly
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:39 PM

It's hard to predict with Windsor. Might be tough, but worth the shot in any case. What's your L2/B2? Depending on those scores, you might have a better chance in other provinces.
  • masiullah likes this

#3 Emily12

Emily12
  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

Windsor looks at your CGPA so it might be tough with a 2.4. However your LSAT is excellent so that will for sure help you. Is there a reason your CGPA is so low? If so explain that in your personal statement, so the admissions committee have some idea as to what happened/how you improved. If you have any documentation to explain a lower CGPA I would include that too! 

• masiullah likes this

#4 masiullah

masiullah
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:20 PM

Thanks so much. Your help is much appreciated. I am going to apply hopefully I will get in.

#5 tyrion

tyrion
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:05 PM

Your major matters in this kind of splitter cases. Also, be sure to explain positively and briefly about your grade situation in your personal statement or optional essay if you had some hardship at the time.

Edited by tyrion, 19 August 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#6 TheAEGIS

TheAEGIS
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:50 AM

That's an impressive LSAT. If nothing else, it'll get you a second look.

My overall undergrad GPA was pretty terrible too, last two or so years was alright, still nothing to write home about. I'm talking mid to high 70s. LSAT was a 163.

I'm going in my second year in Windsor.

If Windsor is where you want to go, you have to sell them on being social justice/access to justice oriented, and convince the adcoms that you really want to be there, i.e. you're not going to jump ship as soon as an offer comes in from Western.

My $0.02.