Lawstudents.ca is Canada's largest and most comprehensive law school, legal education, and legal practice discussion forum.

To participate in discussions, you will need to register an account. If you already have an account, make sure you sign in.

Photo

1L Resume for Extracurricular Applications

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 akratic

akratic
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

Hi all,

I will be starting at Western Law this September. I understood from speaking with current students that applications for clinics and other extracurriculars are all due pretty early into the semester and that I should have a resume & cover letter ready in advance.

I was hoping to get some resume writing guidelines from current students. For example, should it be 1-2 pages, have a statement of objective, be tailored to specific extracurriculars...?

Thanks,

Akratic

#2 bernard

bernard
  • Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:10 PM

Different clinics will have different criteria for their applications. It never hurts to have an up to date resume but otherwise I would just wait until you know what they want.

• beyondsection17 likes this

#3 Jgweebz

Jgweebz
  • Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:46 AM

2 pages max, no objective, I don't know how much you can tailor a resume but keep it applicable to most positions. You'll have a chance to tailor your interests in cover letters or e-mails.