aostrander

Applying, have a few questions..

aostrander    0

I'll be applying to Windsor's JD program in the fall (to hopefully attend fall of 2017) and just had a few questions as to what my application/ stats may need or be lacking to help me polish off my resume:

I have a 160 LSAT, taking it again in September

3.5 GPA from Western University

I'm finishing up an Honours Specialization Degree in History with a Major in English

Two Years of University Varsity Field hockey, and Vice President of two clubs at Western

Community volunteer work as well as working for the government for 2 summers (through Parks Canada) and working retail during the school year, with one summer as a corporate intern

I see over and over that Windsor loves to see an application or statement geared towards Social Justice; could someone please elaborate as to what that may mean specifically? I have a general idea but would like some tips on what to add or say that may be favorable. 

Thanks so much!

thegoodlife    2

I'll be applying to Windsor's JD program in the fall (to hopefully attend fall of 2017) and just had a few questions as to what my application/ stats may need or be lacking to help me polish off my resume:

I have a 160 LSAT, taking it again in September

3.5 GPA from Western University

I'm finishing up an Honours Specialization Degree in History with a Major in English

Two Years of University Varsity Field hockey, and Vice President of two clubs at Western

Community volunteer work as well as working for the government for 2 summers (through Parks Canada) and working retail during the school year, with one summer as a corporate intern

I see over and over that Windsor loves to see an application or statement geared towards Social Justice; could someone please elaborate as to what that may mean specifically? I have a general idea but would like some tips on what to add or say that may be favorable. 

Thanks so much!

My advice to you would be to add a focus to your experiences. Windsor loves to accept passionate people no matter what that passion is. On my personal statement I wrote about my love of international business which allowed me to discuss my intent to pursue international law (I have since found reason and no longer want to pursue that). I talked about my background in international business: how I studied it in undergrad, went to Africa to meet with business execs and to learn about how business is done there, worked in a European country, in addition to countless other international or non-international extra-curricular activities. Clearly I wasn't admitted for my social justice background. My experiences allowed me to create a story of my journey to law school. My story wasn't anything remarkable; I didn't overcome adversity or have some special eye-opening experience. Instead, I was your regular undergrad student who was involved in extra-curricular activities and got good-ish marks. A cursory look at your application doesn't show what your passion is, which doesn't mean you won't be admitted, but it does not help to elevate you from the pack of 3.5/160 applicants. So my advice is to get involved in what you are passionate about.

Edited by thegoodlife
  • Like 2

tyrion    11

Get two birds if you write about your passion in social justice with tangible social justice experiences. These experiences are easy to get, just volunteer at a bunch of social causes, which will open your eyes as a person too.