jessbp

1L Summer Job

I was just wondering what jobs law students typically get in the summer between 1st year and 2nd year. Do a lot of students find jobs at law firms? Is it recommended to find a summer job in Windsor, or is it looked down upon if you find employment in another city?

I was just wondering what jobs law students typically get in the summer between 1st year and 2nd year. Do a lot of students find jobs at law firms? Is it recommended to find a summer job in Windsor, or is it looked down upon if you find employment in another city?

I haven't started 1L yet but from what i've heard on these forums & from a friend who just finished 1L at UBC, most students don't work in law firms summer after first year. It's basically just like any summer after your undergrad, where you can work a part-time job, some kind of internship/summer student job, or just relax. From what I've heard it's pretty hard to get a summer job at a law firm after 1L summer & you won't be at a disadvantage without one.

No one expects you to get a law related job in the summer after 1L. There are limited positions and if you get one, then great, it will relieve some pressure for finding a 2L summer job. However, the vast majority of people do not find a summer law student job in the summer of 1L. Personally, I would do something that you enjoy and take advantage of the fact it's likely the last summer you will have to do something non-law related.

Windsor is lucky in that we have two legal clinics that each hire 10 full-time law students to work during the summer. The majority of these positions are held by first year students so I would recommend applying to either CLA, LAW or both. You get great experience, get paid, live in Windsor in the summer, and law firms love it. A few 1Ls also get RA positions.