VJA

Chances - 3.55GPA, unknown LSAT, exceptional ECs

6 posts in this topic

Hello all, 

Long time observer of the forum and forever nervous about getting into U of T or Osgoode. Currently an undergraduate student going into 3rd year at the University of Ottawa. 

My first year grades were absolute garbage (6.7/10, or a 2.7/4 GPA), but my 2nd year grades and presumably my third year grades are 3.8-3.9 GPA. I have extremely strong ECs (started my own business and a non-profit, engaged with campus clubs and volunteering, government work experience, etc.). I'm studying to write my LSATs this September, if not then in December and am aiming for a 168+. How likely is it that I will be accepted to U of T given my first year grades? 

In regards to peoples B3 GPAs: If a student is applying to law school while starting their fourth year of their undergraduate degree (as most do), how is the B3 calculated if the final year is not yet reported? Do they just use your first, second, and third year final grades? Do they only take your second and third year grades?

Any and all advice is very much appreciated. 

Thanks!

My GPA was about the same as yours when I was admitted to U of T, however I don't think you have enough info settled yet for anyone to give you a meaningful answer about your chances. I don't think the poor showing in first year will hurt you all that much if you manage to boost your overall average by the time you apply. Your ECs seem good, but keep in mind that 1/3 of U of T's admissions decisions are based on the personal statement. Your ECs won't stand for themselves, as someone with less impressive experience could still convey it in a more impressive personal statement.

The LSAT is another 1/3 at U of T, so you'll need an actual score before you can make any decent predictions. An expected score isn't worth much so rather than thinking about your odds now, just focus on practicing and aim for the highest score you can get. You'll probably need a pretty high score as there will likely be plenty of applicants with higher GPAs. If you can up your GPA to the 3.55-3.6 range in the time you have and get a high LSAT score, I'd say you'd have a decent chance. But again it's too early to tell.

Not sure about your B3 question. I think they'll consider whatever is available to them if you apply in fourth year. They may consider first semester of your fourth year but I'm not certain about that.

1 person likes this

My GPA was about the same as yours when I was admitted to U of T, however I don't think you have enough info settled yet for anyone to give you a meaningful answer about your chances. I don't think the poor showing in first year will hurt you all that much if you manage to boost your overall average by the time you apply. Your ECs seem good, but keep in mind that 1/3 of U of T's admissions decisions are based on the personal statement. Your ECs won't stand for themselves, as someone with less impressive experience could still convey it in a more impressive personal statement.

The LSAT is another 1/3 at U of T, so you'll need an actual score before you can make any decent predictions. An expected score isn't worth much so rather than thinking about your odds now, just focus on practicing and aim for the highest score you can get. You'll probably need a pretty high score as there will likely be plenty of applicants with higher GPAs. If you can up your GPA to the 3.55-3.6 range in the time you have and get a high LSAT score, I'd say you'd have a decent chance. But again it's too early to tell.

Not sure about your B3 question. I think they'll consider whatever is available to them if you apply in fourth year. They may consider first semester of your fourth year but I'm not certain about that.

Thank you very much for your reply! Good to know all hope is not lost. I've been on-and-off studying for the LSAT since June, but am getting serious about it starting now. The content isn't exceptionally challenging to me, but I'm not in a place yet where I would even start doing timed practice tests. Would you recommend taking the September LSAT or continue studying until December? I'm very torn on this. 

Thank you very much for your reply! Good to know all hope is not lost. I've been on-and-off studying for the LSAT since June, but am getting serious about it starting now. The content isn't exceptionally challenging to me, but I'm not in a place yet where I would even start doing timed practice tests. Would you recommend taking the September LSAT or continue studying until December? I'm very torn on this. 

No problem. I should clarify that my assumption was that you would be applying in 4th year but I see in your post that you mention you are going into 3rd year now. If that's the case and you are applying this fall, I should mention that it is significantly less likely that you will be admitted. It's nothing on you, it's just that they rarely accept 3rd year applicants. The only person I know who got in from 3rd year had a 3.9 GPA, 170+ LSAT, and extraordinary ECs. 

That said, you can still write the LSAT this year if you want to. Worst case scenario you get a bad score but you've got plenty of time to take it again. If you're planning on applying in 4th year, then it doesn't matter whether you write it this September or December, so I would recommend choosing whichever date you will have more time to prep for. Also keep in mind there is a limit on how many times you can write it in a given period.

No problem. I should clarify that my assumption was that you would be applying in 4th year but I see in your post that you mention you are going into 3rd year now. If that's the case and you are applying this fall, I should mention that it is significantly less likely that you will be admitted. It's nothing on you, it's just that they rarely accept 3rd year applicants. The only person I know who got in from 3rd year had a 3.9 GPA, 170+ LSAT, and extraordinary ECs. 

That said, you can still write the LSAT this year if you want to. Worst case scenario you get a bad score but you've got plenty of time to take it again. If you're planning on applying in 4th year, then it doesn't matter whether you write it this September or December, so I would recommend choosing whichever date you will have more time to prep for. Also keep in mind there is a limit on how many times you can write it in a given period.

I'm a keener, and am just writing in 3rd year so I have ample time to retake if I tank the test for some reason. Definitely not applying this year, and will follow the traditional schedule of applying in my fourth year :) 

I was waitlisted at U of T this cycle with a 3.2 CGPA, B3 of about 3.65. LSAT 160. Anything is possible and the process is entirely dependent on the individual application. I believe my personal statement/ECs were very important considering my sub par stats. Best of luck!